Sign in to follow this  
Stickman

Michael Robinson

Sad news regarding Michael Robinson in that he has been diagnosed with advanced skin melanoma

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-offer-message-support-michael-15565128

Only played one full season for the reds but in that one season he managed to win a treble.....

As a player he's probably best remembered for the 83 "and Smith must score" Cup Final when his pass should have secured the Cup for Brighton against the Mancs...

Was a surprise when Liverpool signed him as he didn't seem like a LFC player but he never gave less than a 100%

I always remember reading a chapter from Simon Hughes book Red Machine in I think it was the Anfield Wrap in which I have to say I found a healthy respect for the man after just reading the first line of the interview.

‘THATCHER BORE THE SAME CHARM AS THE BUBONIC PLAGUE,’ declares Michael Robinson, Liverpool striker turned Spanish television presenter. ‘Because of that woman,’ he pauses, pointing a Marlboro Red in my direction, leaning forward with a plume of smoke spiralling skyward, ‘we live in a society where you have to save up to get ill. That is not an absolute truth, of course. But it is a part of her legacy. I believe in a capitalism that I can embrace with a social conscience, remembering that there’s a great difference between having a shit and tearing your arse.’

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/07/michael-robinson-a-complete-chapter-from-red-machine-liverpool-fc-in-the-80s-the-players-stories/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

He's a real renaissance man - isn't he effectively Spain's Gary Lineker in terms of football punditry? Think he's even a Spitting Image character over there.

Godspeed to him, really hope he beats this.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

He's a real renaissance man - isn't he effectively Spain's Gary Lineker in terms of football punditry? Think he's even a Spitting Image character over there.

Godspeed to him, really hope he beats this.

He's an absolute legend here.

Am I a bad person for seeing this well-wisher's tweet...

...and thinking "Christ, what a pass!"?

Yes, yes I am. Best of luck to Mick.

Seems a top bloke, brave to make a new career for himself in another country when he packed in!

I hope he beats it, but Melanoma is a little fucker when it's metastasized! Lost a friend to it 10 years ago, fingers crossed for big Robbo, what a season when he was here!

• Upvote 1

Thought his contribution to the red machine was great reading and actually one of the players who most got liverpool in the last 30years. I always disliked Robinson as I was distantly related to David hodgson. Both were competing to replace dalglish though far off the pace. Seems sound