You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This Union Jack on The Kop

Bjornebye

Does the Union Flag belong on The Kop?   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Does the Union Flag belong on The Kop?

• Yes. Liverpool is in Britain.
    • No. We are Scouse not British.

What a ridiculous thing to say. It’s ok to have an egypt flag, Senegal flag, Mali back in the day for Momo, but a British flag is a problem.

whoever wrote that tweet deserves the same reaction as 99.9999999% of other people writing tweets - to totally ignore it.

its not his Kop, he should wind his neck in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Personally I don't like it.

We are usually different to the standard shit flags you see other english clubs flying like those fucking shite george cross ones with some shite town name on - a union jack in one corner and some shite about on tour and a club badge....you know the sort, see them at Ingerlund games and most english teams in europe - shite.

The old KFS thing whilst a bit tongue in cheek was largely spot on IMO.

Scouse not English is a bit cliched to some but I largely buy into that idea - especially given how fans of other clubs  behave towards our team and city and of course the governments treatment of our city for decades and its role in the cover up of Hillsborough.

All in all i would rather not see it flown at our games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

There is a vocal 'scouse not english' element in our support, but telling other people what they can and can't do at the match is a bit off of course.

Better ways to state his opinion and make the point.

Worth pointing out that the Union Flag is British not English.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

Worth pointing out that the Union Flag is British not English.

True but apart from unionists it is much more closely associated with England than it is the other countries.

You don't see Welsh fans flying it....you don't see it at Scotland games.

It is interesting actually because in the 60's and 70's and maybe 80's it was always seen at England games en masse....look at 66 world cup footage union flags dominate....the move towards the george cross is a relatively new thing with england fans - although you do still see the union flag.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

True but apart from unionists it is much more closely associated with England than it is the other countries.

You don't see Welsh fans flying it....you don't see it at Scotland games.

It is interesting actually because in the 60's and 70's and maybe 80's it was always seen at England games en masse....look at 66 world cup footage union flags dominate....the move towards the george cross is a relatively new thing with england fans - although you do still see the union flag.

It's English arrogance & stupidity that though, it's a British flag.

Personally I wouldn't be seen dead with the fucking thing but can't say I'm arsed about anyone taking it on The Kop.

• Upvote 1

We’re either all inclusive as a club or we’re not.

As long as what people want to display isn’t offensive or bigoted then live and let live.

How people identify with nationality, sexual orientation, gender, religion etc should be a choice unjudged by the rest of us.

YNWA?

• Upvote 3

Don't see an issue with it myself. It's not like it's a flag obviously associated with something heinous like Nazi fascism (shithouse governments yes, but not fascism) like a Swastika flag, and it's not as though there's a proliferation of Union Jacks on display at Anfield. In any case, yesterday was Flag Day at the ground.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

It's English arrogance & stupidity that though, it's a British flag.

Personally I wouldn't be seen dead with the fucking thing but can't say I'm arsed about anyone taking it on The Kop.

I get where you are coming from.

The other thing that sticks in my mind (rightly or wrongly but we all see things through a certain filter don't we and i am just saying how i see it) is i always associate that flag with the tories!!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

The irony is these 'Scouse not English' knobs are some of the most bigoted and ignorant people you could ever meet. But it's good old Scouse bigotry, so that's ok.

They won’t have English ancestry probably, still pining for the old country.

Wales.