You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Winning trophies is just one part of being a successful manager

tlw content

16 minutes ago, The Guest said:

We’ve got a better chance of winning something with him in charge than literally any other person walking the planet which makes us ridiculously lucky to actually have him in charge in the first place.

If he doesn’t actually win something this season or even next you’d have to be one seriously thick cunt to actually not want him here.

Happily thick! 21st century Liverpool, 1st is 1st, 2nd is ok too!

14 minutes ago, stringvest said:

We all love him, but that first sentence is ridiculous.  Leicester won a league with Ranieri.  Chelsea won a CL with that lad who couldn't manage West Brom.  Neither of their support thought they were in the best possible shape to win anything with those boys in charge.  Klopp is another manager who, despite his obvious charms, will only be seen as a success at Liverpool if he wins something.  

You would think it wouldnt even be up for debate wouldn’t you?

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

We all love him, but that first sentence is ridiculous.  Leicester won a league with Ranieri.  Chelsea won a CL with that lad who couldn't manage West Brom.  Neither of their support thought they were in the best possible shape to win anything with those boys in charge.  Klopp is another manager who, despite his obvious charms, will only be seen as a success at Liverpool if he wins something.  

Is it that ridiculous?  Should we just hire Ranieri then?  You seem to have completely missed my point.  Leicester winning the league involved a ridiculous set of circumstances that all seemed to come together at once.  It’s not really a method I would want our club thinking was a good way of trying to win the league or champions league.  Are you suggesting we should hire some has been manager and sign a load of unknown players and English journeymen instead of having Klopp in charge.

My opinion is that Klopp is one of the few top managers in the world capable of attracting world class players to a club that was previously struggling to do so.  He’s probably only bettered by Guardiola tactically who would never come here and the jury would be out for me if he could operate without the unlimited funds/best funds in the league.  He also tactically has Guardiola off more often than not with worse players.

No other manager could have done what he’s done.  I’m not saying he will be seen as a success if he doesn’t win stuff either.  He obviously won’t be.  That doesn’t mean he wasn’t the best person to have in charge either because realistically it might well be impossible for somebody to beat this gang of cheating cunts to the league.  As I said he’s the best chance we’ve got and I think he’s proving that this season.  If he doesn’t win something then I wouldn’t be entertaining getting rid of him.

Separately I think when he mentioned leaving a legacy I understand what he means.  He’s put the club back on the map and when/if he leaves we will be in a far greater position to win things than when he arrived.  He will also have given me some great experiences.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

27 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Is it that ridiculous?  Should we just hire Ranieri then?  You seem to have completely missed my point.  Leicester winning the league involved a ridiculous set of circumstances that all seemed to come together at once.  It’s not really a method I would want our club thinking was a good way of trying to win the league or champions league.  Are you suggesting we should hire some has been manager and sign a load of unknown players and English journeymen instead of having Klopp in charge.

My opinion is that Klopp is one of the few top managers in the world capable of attracting world class players to a club that was previously struggling to do so.  He’s probably only bettered by Guardiola tactically who would never come here and the jury would be out for me if he could operate without the unlimited funds/best funds in the league.  He also tactically has Guardiola off more often than not with worse players.

No other manager could have done what he’s done.  I’m not saying he will be seen as a success if he doesn’t win stuff either.  He obviously won’t be.  That doesn’t mean he wasn’t the best person to have in charge either because realistically it might well be impossible for somebody to beat this gang of cheating cunts to the league.  As I said he’s the best chance we’ve got and I think he’s proving that this season.  If he doesn’t win something then I wouldn’t be entertaining getting rid of him.

Separately I think when he mentioned leaving a legacy I understand what he means.  He’s put the club back on the map and when/if he leaves we will be in a far greater position to win things than when he arrived.  He will also have given me some great experiences.

I think he could be seen as a success even if he wins nothing. His work shouldn't be invalidated if he doesn't win an FA or League Cup, for example. The only people who would look at it like that are the media because results are all they care about and opposing fans who want to talk crap. If results and trophies are all people care about as supporters, you can't enjoy anything else and that's just a dumb way to watch football, imo. 

If he leaves without winning anything big, my opinion will be that he was desperately unlucky and that he would have done his job bringing the club back to the forefront of European Football and the Premier League. I can't believe any Liverpool fan would look at it any other way. 

I don't think we'd have been any better off with any other manager in the world, he's perfect for us, great guy, great football, and great attitude. 

I really hope he wins something soon, any Liverpool fan can see clearly what klopp is building, and we haven't even hit a plateau yet. Year on year we've improved, next year I imagine the trend will continue, exciting stuff. 

My main worry is the media love stirring up a bit of drama, and it won't be long before they start making "reports" of "leaks" saying fans are growing restless or some other bullshit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

He doesn't have to win anything for me to keep wanting him as our manager. However I'd quite like him to win nonetheless.

This is how I feel. As long as we are showing intent and challenging for the major trophies, I'll be happy. 

And I have no doubt he'll win something soon. 

12 hours ago, Grinch said:

The problem is people say win something but turn their noses up at every tournament except the league and champions league.  Two long shots that were doing quite well in.

who are these people with their upturned noses?    The League is for most of us the holy grail, then the Champions League, as it brings cachet.  The FA Cup is not to be sniffed at, and the League Cup is a trophy.  When you haven't won anything for so long, you can't afford to be choosy.

• Upvote 3

I am loving the footy at the moment. Moreover there is a unity about the club. The CEO is getting praised: the owners are called cunts less frequently; even Acherberg isn’t getting blamed for every goal. 

A trophy will come. It will come if we’re patient. The media will add pressure. We don’t need to. 

Just enjoy it in zis moment.

Just over three years ago we were being stuffed 6-1 at Stoke and the club was an absolute laughing stock .

Now it is the team nobody in Europe wants to draw in the next round. 

Yeah it  would be great to win something but fuck me what he has achieved in those 3 years is nothing short of amazing .

What also sets Klopp apart from Poch (who is who he gets compared with ) is that he has won trophies and won them when up against a truly great Munich side . So he is used to winning things .

Just be thankful he came here and didn't want an easier challenge at the time and gone to Man Utd

• Upvote 1

Klopp is by far the best manager we could have at this moment, he fits this club like a glove. His infectious enthusiasm and love for playing the game the right way is what makes him such a popular manager and person. I wouldn't change him for any other manager and he will leave a positive legacy whether he wins something or not. However we really do have to win something...and I don't care what that is. We mustn't forget that players also play the game to win trophies. At the moment we look like we are on the cusp of something very very special and that's partly what makes us attractive as a club to players. We've seen this before (although I don't think quite to this extent) so we feel a bit cautious and like to manage our own expectations as we don't want that disappointment again. However, I think Klopp hit the nail on the head when he arrived, you just have to believe, and with the impressive work he has done since his arrival, the success will come. It's arguably here already but winning titles and cups is the ultimate goal.

Its way too early in Klopp's Liverpool career to be talking about success or failure as he's usually a man who sees a long term contract out(7 years at both his previous clubs) but he has done fantastically well so far. As Stringy correctly says though,trophies are a measure of that success when he leaves,FA Cup and League Cup included. The problems come more from a remit of only two competitions mattering to the owners, due to obvious financial implications but as a fan trophies are what matter. Maybe younger supporters have a different mindset nowadays but its no coincidence to me that a team that racked up four successive League Cup wins was also winning European Cups and League titles. The first cup is the most important.

• Upvote 4