You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Winning trophies is just one part of being a successful manager

tlw content

jose-mourinho-futbolcularini-sucladi-UPo.jpg

Jurgen Klopp is one of the most preeminent managers in World Football today. He is someone who is passionate, personable, and an advocate of the beautiful game played in the right way.

Klopp demands respect from his squad, but he gives it back in spades, making him a manager that players truly want to play for.

But if there is one lingering criticism about his management career, it is the amount of silverware he has managed to win in his career.

Klopp won back to back Bundesliga titles (2010/1 & 2011/12), and German Super Cups (2013/14 & 2014/15) along with one DFB Pokal (German Cup) in 2011/12.

But in more recent times Klopp has emerged empty handed in the big finals, losing the League Cup and Europa League in 2015/6 and the Champions League on two occasions, most recently in May against Real Madrid.

In the lead-up to the big clash against Man United tomorrow the same issue got raised again.

Never one to miss an opportunity to provoke a rival, Jose Mourinho mentioned it during his pre-match press conference.

jose-mourinho-futbolcularini-sucladi-UPo.jpg

The Liverpool Echo reported Mourinho as saying:

"I think they (Liverpool) did very well (in the off season) because every player they bought are quality players and I'm happy for them.

“But maybe this season, finally you demand that they win.

You, I think, have to be fair and now you have to demand and say the team with investments you are making last season, that you made in January, that you make now, that will probably be the record of the Premier League this season, a team that was a finalist in the Champions League, you have to say you are a big candidate and you have to win.

"I think trophies matter."

Klopp has heard this narrative plenty of times in his managerial career and had a ready-made response at his disposal.

“Do I have to? Do I have to win it (the league).

"People might remember that, but what I have to do is make the best of the things the club is offering me – that is what I believe in.

“If people say the Champions League campaign last season was not a success because we didn’t win the final then I cannot change that.

"Was it the successful finish? No, but the ride was brilliant.

"I enjoyed it a lot. Going to the final was fantastic but in life – in all departments of life including your job – if only the best counts and effort doesn’t count then life is s***.

"You can do whatever you want but if I’m not as smart as Einstein or whatever, I can’t try a little bit? I will never be him.

"I love the challenge, make the best of it.

“That is how I understand life, I learned it a little bit in football.

"In the end other people have to judge that.”

You only have to see Klopp on the sidelines to see he has the mentality of a winner.

However he raises a valid point.

It is not only what you do at a club in your time there, it is what you leave behind that should count as your legacy.

Mourinho and Klopp have a completely different football ideology and that is the beauty about the game we all love.

Personal preference will determine which one you prefer the best, but I dare say the great majority of Liverpool fans will vote in favour of the German.

View full article

He doesn't have to win anything for me to keep wanting him as our manager. However I'd quite like him to win nonetheless.

We're in a state of transition. We're on our way up right now but we've seen this before and so it's reasonable to have some precaution. I don't know if we're going to win the League, CL, FA Cup but I do know that if we don't it's not because of Jurgen Klopp and I haven't felt that way since Rafa. Kenny's cameo was fun, I thought his second term was harshly judged. That's football.

The thing that stinks is that he's been in a position to win trophies an awful lot recently but hasn't been able to close, so that kind of talk makes him look like a loser, despite the fact he clearly isn't.

He's totally right though. Just ask United fans how much they care about the fact they won those League Cup and Europa League titles with Mourinho. They mean nothing because he's sucking the life out of the club and the supporters. No matter what he wins or doesn't win, Klopp is doing the opposite. 

15 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Sorry Mourinho is right, he does need to start winning things and I think he will, you can’t end every season empty handed and call him a great manager that would be edging towards Taffs Tavern territory. I think we will win something this season though so it will render the argument moot.

He's won 5 trophies, including 2 league titles and been to 6 additional finals. I'm sure it eats him alive that he's failed at the last moment recently, but losing one-off games like that doesn't take away from his greatness. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's won 5 trophies, including 2 league titles 

Not here he hasn’t and that’s all I’m interested in and will judge him on. I’m not arguing against Klopp as I believe he will win things I’m arguing the general point that you can’t be called a great manager if you don’t win trophies, not in my view anyway.

• Upvote 1

We’ve got a better chance of winning something with him in charge than literally any other person walking the planet which makes us ridiculously lucky to actually have him in charge in the first place.

If he doesn’t actually win something this season or even next you’d have to be one seriously thick cunt to actually not want him here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, The Guest said:

We’ve got a better chance of winning something with him in charge than literally any other person walking the planet which makes us ridiculously lucky to actually have him in charge in the first place.

If he doesn’t actually win something this season or even next you’d have to be one seriously thick cunt to actually not want him here.

We all love him, but that first sentence is ridiculous.  Leicester won a league with Ranieri.  Chelsea won a CL with that lad who couldn't manage West Brom.  Neither of their support thought they were in the best possible shape to win anything with those boys in charge.  Klopp is another manager who, despite his obvious charms, will only be seen as a success at Liverpool if he wins something.  

• Upvote 1