You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ancelotti : Van Dijk should have seen red

tlw content

Napoli manager Carlo Ancelotti believes Virgil Van Dijk should have received a red card for his challenge on Belgian forward Dries Mertens early in the first half of the crucial Group C Champions League clash at Anfield on Wednesday evening.

A Mo Salah goal was all what separated the teams in a night of high drama where only a win was acceptable for the Reds to progress, meanwhile a draw would have been good enough to see the Italians through.

The veteran manager believes the towering Dutchman should have received his marching orders when he caught Mertens on the follow through after initially making a clean ball winning tackle.

vandijk1_600.jpg

Four Four Two reported Ancelotti as saying:

"I've seen it on the video, I think it was a red card.

" There were a lot of questions about VAR. 

"When VAR comes in to the Champions League, it's too late."

Van Dijk did receive a booking for the challenge which will see him miss the first leg of the Round of 16 clash in February.

The 1-0 defeat was Napoli's only loss of the group stage and will see the Italians consigned to the Europa League. 

It was clear that Liverpool played right into their hands when the two teams met on Matchday Two, and Jurgen Klopp was determined that his men upped their tempo for this vital encounter.

It was something that the wily manager was prepared for.

"We knew that Liverpool would put us under a lot more pressure, they were very aggressive.

"It was something we planned for, we knew the intensity was going to be a lot different from the first game we played. That was something we had to try and cope with.

You can't expect to come to a place like Liverpool and expect to create 10 really good chances, we created one or two and didn't have the luck that we needed."

Alisson was the hero for the Reds in the final stages when he made a point blank save at the feet of Napoli striker Arkadiusz Milik who would have thought the vital goal was there for the taking.

However the save was just another magical moment in Liverpool's illustrious European history.

While Ancelotti and his players will take time to get offer this disappointment, they will be formidable oopponents for any team in the Europa League.

View full article

What's the rule about winning the ball and catching someone with your studs on the follow through.

VVD's boot was trailing along the ground... is that different from being in the air?

I don't think it was a red, but I don't think Ancelotti's contention is totally outrageous... 

Or perhaps I'm just being lenient on him because I don't think he's a cunt.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, Skaro said:

What's the rule about winning the ball and catching someone with your studs on the follow through.

VVD's boot was trailing along the ground... is that different from being in the air?

I don't think it was a red, but I don't think Ancelotti's contention is totally outrageous... 

If you win the ball cleanly but catch the player on the follow through it can,and often is,be interpreted as a foul. On second,third,fourth views I have to accept that the awful referee was actually correct on this occasion.

34 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If you win the ball cleanly but catch the player on the follow through it can,and often is,be interpreted as a foul. On second,third,fourth views I have to accept that the awful referee was actually correct on this occasion.

Well the fourth official probably was.  

36 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I could agree with this if the ref had reacted to the incident immediately instead of appearing to see it ( his view was brilliant) and then carrying on for a few seconds then reacting to either Mertens scream or something the lino has told him .

On 12/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, Skaro said:

The rule is....there is no rule. The VVD situation is governed by a set of highly subjective words, open to wide degrees of interpretation..... 

'A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following
offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• charges
• jumps at
• kicks or attempts to kick
• pushes
• strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
• tackles or challenges
• trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or
penalty kick.
• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when
making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction
is needed
• Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to,
or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
• Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force
and/or endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off'

It boils down to whether that tackle is seen as 'reckless' or 'excessive force'. Not very long ago, it would have been seen as a textbook tackle. Nowadays, it changes from ref to ref, what day of the week it is, who committed the foul (was it Fernandinho. for example), or even the same ref in the same match.

I just saw Valencia's yellow card last night - much worse than VVD's, as he gets nowhere near the ball - nobody's mentioned it in the media that I can see.

Bottom line, Carlo - boo hoo, enjoy your Thursdays.

Yea that Dan cunt or whoever made the image he's posted has taken that completely out of context. That happened on the follow through as he's got the ball already which is why for me it's not even a foul, let alone a card of any sort. Yea it ends up unfortunate but there is nothing reckless or intentional about him hitting the player, the ball move out of the way and his momentum is just carrying him forward.