You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bournemouth 0 Liverpool 4 (Dec 8 2018)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Well well well. After weeks of dogged, relentless pursuit, we’ve not only caught Man City but we’ve edged ahead of them. The importance of some of those late goals we’ve scored is now even more in focus.

City have been blowing everyone away but you don’t get any more points for that than you do for a stoppage time winner after a below par performance. By hook or by crook,  the Reds have been matching City result for result. In fact, the two point gap going into this weekend can largely be put down to us having had to play Chelsea away.

We’ve had a slightly tougher fixture list than City but it’s evened out now they've been to Chelsea too, and guess what? We’re top, pretty much as a result of Daniel Sturridge’s worldy at the Bridge. That’s the difference right now. One point, earned by that wonderful goal away at Chelsea.

Of course City’s goal difference is significantly better but I had written that off as a lost cause weeks ago. I may have been a little premature on that as there was a six goal swing this weekend and it’s now only an eight goal difference. If we click against one of the shite teams we could wipe that out in one week. There’s no guarantee we will ‘click’ in the way we did at times last season, because we’re a different side this year. Not as spectacular, but much more efficient.

We were really good at Bournemouth though. It was mostly efficient but with a dash or two of spectacular. The first goal was marginally offside and I’m surprised the linesman didn’t spot that as his view wasn’t impeded and it was a fairly straightforward one to get right. 

Eddie Howe doesn’t usually make much of the numerous decisions that go against his side, but he was having a good old moan about this one. I don’t blame him for being pissed off, but he’s kidding himself if he thinks that was the reason his team lost. He reckons they were comfortable prior to that and we hadn’t troubled them. I’d agree that we hadn’t exactly peppered their goal, but I thought we looked lively from early on and it was only a matter of time before we put something together and scored.

Firmino looked sharper than he has of late and Salah was causing them all sorts of problems running in behind. The goal shouldn’t have stood, but I felt as though it had been coming. It was a nice one-two between Bobby and Mo, and although the shot by Firmino was well struck, it was a little speculative and Begovic should have dealt with it better. Mo was on it like a flash and buried it, before turning to give the stink eye to our bench.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 4

• dave u pinned this topic

Mo's demeanour is more than a little troubling for me, especially after he's scored. If there's one time to smile it's then but yesterday he had a face like a smacked arse.

I hope I'm reading too much into it, as that was probably his best performance of the season, but something's not right there.

Point of pessimism:

So far we’ve been good, but also lucky. If luck, as they say, evens itself out during the season, we’ll need to play better to keep the pace we’ve set for ourselves.

Point of optimism:

During a season every club usually goes through a period where they don’t play so well – a dip in form. Hopefully citeh will have their dip in form now. We’re already done with our dip in form.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jenson said:

Mo's demeanour is more than a little troubling for me, especially after he's scored. If there's one time to smile it's then but yesterday he had a face like a smacked arse.

I hope I'm reading too much into it, as that was probably his best performance of the season, but something's not right there.

Just the way he is I guess, to be fair I don't remember Thierry Henry beaming from ear to ear like Dalglish used to when he scored

1 hour ago, Jenson said:

You can comfort yourself by telling yourself that our best players will leave if we don't win trophies, regardless of their body language.

Mo was very gracious to Milner in the post-match interview and seemed happy enough.

Thought he stank the place out a bit until the first goal went in. Different player after that. 

I reckon the glares at the bench were a judgement call on Adam Lallana’s new jeans. ‘Not on my watch, son.’ 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JustTosh said:

Point of pessimism:

So far we’ve been good, but also lucky. If luck, as they say, evens itself out during the season, we’ll need to play better to keep the pace we’ve set for ourselves.

Point of optimism:

During a season every club usually goes through a period where they don’t play so well – a dip in form. Hopefully citeh will have their dip in form now. We’re already done with our dip in form.

Plenty of bad luck this season in the league. 

3 hours ago, JustTosh said:

Point of pessimism:

Point of optimism:

16 games played, 6 goals conceded.  Undefeated and top of the table, and it's looking as if we're getting into our stride in time for the Xmas pile up.

Take City out of the equation and I reckon this would be our season.  You just can't write those bastards off, but it's up to our lads now to match or improve on every result those fuckers get.

We need to sort the CL out first, then if we finally put one up Maureen's shower of cunts maybe, just maybe, I'll let myself start to dream a little.

No matter what happens, this is some team Klopp has put together.

One missed penno at Anfield. Who'd have thought it? Still don't think it even was a penno. 

Amazing last few games. Everton, Burnley and Bournemouth. Sounds like nothing but I was not happy going in to any of them. Banana skins all three. To come out the other side with 9 points is totally boss.

But the shite next weekend? I think I'll wear all my rainbow gear if we give them the battering we're capable of. But needless to say, I'm fucking terrified. 

And as for Mo and his stares? I saw none of that and it sounds at best unsavoury. It best not be about being subbed the other week coz he's been close to gash at times this season. Bobby too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rb14 said:

One missed penno at Anfield. Who'd have thought it? Still don't think it even was a penno. 

Amazing last few games. Everton, Burnley and Bournemouth. Sounds like nothing but I was not happy going in to any of them. Banana skins all three. To come out the other side with 9 points is totally boss.

But the shite next weekend? I think I'll wear all my rainbow gear if we give them the battering we're capable of. But needless to say, I'm fucking terrified. 

And as for Mo and his stares? I saw none of that and it sounds at best unsavoury. It best not be about being subbed the other week coz he's been close to gash at times this season. Bobby too. 

The difference with Bobby is he has a huge grin on his face after every goal.

I don’t know what it is with Mo, last year he had huge smiles when he scored until the end of the season when he sort of did a smug stance when he scored. At the moment it’s just nothing, it is odd.

21 hours ago, JustTosh said:

Point of pessimism:

Point of optimism:

The derby aside, I don’t think we’ve been particularly lucky this year. We’ve just won games we may not have played all that well in, which we would in seasons past have dropped points in. That’s not luck, that’s being really hard to beat and having a strong mentality to see it through.

weve actually not had many decisions go our way, overall, so I don’t see that we’ve been lucky at all.

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

The derby aside, I don’t think we’ve been particularly lucky this year. We’ve just won games we may not have played all that well in, which we would in seasons past have dropped points in. That’s not luck, that’s being really hard to beat and having a strong mentality to see it through.

weve actually not had many decisions go our way, overall, so I don’t see that we’ve been lucky at all.

Agree totally with this. The difference this season is that good luck has balanced out the bad luck/crap decisions. We had a perfectly good goal disallowed at Arsenal, a clearly offside goal allowed to Burnley last week, just as two examples of the latter. Last season is was almost exclusively bad luck/decisions - I can think of nailed on penalties being denied at West Brom, at home to Stoke and also Brighton (twice), two ridiculous handball penalties in the Roma games - just in the last couple of months of the season.

6 hours ago, DaveT said:

Agree totally with this. The difference this season is that good luck has balanced out the bad luck/crap decisions. We had a perfectly good goal disallowed at Arsenal, a clearly offside goal allowed to Burnley last week, just as two examples of the latter. Last season is was almost exclusively bad luck/decisions - I can think of nailed on penalties being denied at West Brom, at home to Stoke and also Brighton (twice), two ridiculous handball penalties in the Roma games - just in the last couple of months of the season.

It's funny, since Mo arrived to complete what is a pretty devastating front 3 for the reds, Liverpool have only won 4 penalties in the league in 54 games so far. I'm not sure what the breakdown is for those won at Anfield though? 

This is at least 2 fewer than any of the other top 6. This is despite scoring more goals than all teams barring City and I daresay there'd be a similar table for chances created. Also interesting to note that Everton have won 11 penalties in that time!