You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Napoli (H) Champions League 11/12/18

Bjornebye

Brillaint stuff I know it's a cliche but there is no way we could have gone one up in a game of such magnitude in the first half and finished up with that score since the days of Rafa .

We've sneaked through to be fair in the fact we've lost three game but fuck to we are through  and one thing I know no team will want the fucking mighty reds in the next round 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Someone made a comment the other day that they'd forgotten Matip was playing - and that was a compliment, because it meant that he just got on with his job and didn't cause any panic.

Same again tonight.  He even strode forward, once or twice, which is a trait I could grow to love, now he has a superb centre-back and goalkeeper behind him.

And this is our fourth choice centre back.

I love Jurgen Klopp.

• Upvote 4

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

Someone made a comment the other day that they'd forgotten Matip was playing - and that was a compliment, because it meant that he just got on with his job and didn't cause any panic.

Same again tonight.  He even strode forward, once or twice, which is a trait I could grow to love, now he has a superb centre-back and goalkeeper behind him.

And this is our fourth choice centre back.

I love Jurgen Klopp.

I thought he was superb

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Damn that was close!

First of all, Alisson at the end there. THAT is exactly the sort of thing we've lacked in the critical moments in years gone by. Incredible reflexes from the big man. Other than a mishit clearance in the first half that led to a promising situation for Napoli, Alisson was untroubled.

Much of that is down to the defence, who to a man were excellent. Robertson was his usual effervescent self. Trent on the other flank wasn't far behind. Matip was excellent too - the only real blip in his game being a few passes that were fired at their target when a little more composure was in order. Van Dijk was his usual assured and dominant self. He put in a great tackle on Mertens in the first half, but the follow-through caught the Napoli man painfully on the shin. Unfortunate though that was, it was NOT a foul. It certainly didn't warrant a booking, for which the Dutchman is now suspended for our next CL match.

The trio in midfield have been poor away from home in Europe, but look far far better at Anfield. Up until we scored, Henderson was playing his usual safe game, but thereafter seemed transformed. Turning and running with the ball, picking out forward passes that the recipient could do something constructive with, really getting stuck into the Napoli midfield. Milner and Wijnaldum were outstanding running from box-to-box, with the Dutchman's only blemish being wayward finishing from promising positions. Milner was just boss throughout. These 3 contribute massively when we press high and intimidate opponents into mistakes, so I don't understand why they've been so passive and ineffectual in the away games. Despite tonight, given the choice I still wouldn't start an away game with all 3.

The forward trio looked closer to the 2017/18 vintage, except the conversion rate falling off a cliff. Salah miscontrolled a Robertson cross and later dragged one wide. He did score the crucial goal though, showing that familiar combination of strength, trickery, pace and impudence to put the ball through Ospina's legs. Napoli were struggling to handle him all night. Firmino headed a chance straight at the keeper from just inside the area but otherwise didn't have any chances. His link-up play was a vast improvement on recent displays though. Mane's pace was a constant headache for his marker but his finishing was dreadful, missing two guilt-edged chances to wrapped the game up. We had enough openings to match the 5-0 drubbing we dished out to this lot in Dublin in August.

On to Napoli's goalkeeper Ospina. He has a habit of making saves against us as he used to be the same in his Arsenal days. One of those goalkeepers who makes numerous saves in matches despite always giving the impression he is ropey as hell. He also went down 'injured' in the first half for absolutely nothing, which is something I have seen him do EVERY time I've seen him play. Him and Keylor Navas are notorious for this sort of thing.

On to the referee. We'd lost all 4 of our previous games he'd taken charge of, and for the first half especially, he seemed overly whistle-happy which was helping Napoli along. He also has that Mourinho face-like-a-slapped-arse look which further annoyed me about him. In the second half he seemed to recognise that football is still a contact sport and let play go a lot more. We've broken that losing streak with him too.

Finally, a word on Napoli. They must be wondering how they are now in the Europa League because for most of the group stage, they've been the strongest side in the group. This was their first defeat. Ultimately, they haven't managed to turn their group superiority into wins whereas we've been extremely good at home to pick up the wins to offset our dreadful away results.

We go on.

• Upvote 4