You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Snooker 2018/19 Season

Bjornebye

Anyone watching the UK Championship? Judd trump has been looking great then he goes and loses 6:4 to fucking Joe Perry. All the talent in the world has Judd but he isn't winning the worlds unless he sorts his temperament out. 

Ronnie should win this but I am liking Kyren Wilson more and more. Everytime I see him he gets better. Defo a future World champion. My new favourite player once Higgins hangs his cue up even though he is a Chelsea fan. 

Business end of the tour now. I fucking love the snooker I do. 

What can you say about Ronnie O'Sullivan? Great win, great player. You could see the win really meant something to him, which it doesn't always. There was always a question mark over whether he was the greatest, but his game and wins from his late 30s into his 40s puts him out and out the greatest. He's now in a class of his own. 

The most talented players of the last decade (Ding, Selby, Robertson, Trump) who we all thought would go on to collect all the major trophies have felt his "comeback" the most. They probably thought he'd be on the wane, but instead it's them who all to an extent look to have punched themselves out. 

He now towers over the game, like Federer in tennis and Woods in golf, even away from sport he's The Beatles of snooker. 

I wonder if Hendry looks at Ronnie now and regrets retiring when he did? Or is Ronnie just a total one off (well, yes he is, but you know what I mean). 

45 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

What can you say about Ronnie O'Sullivan? Great win, great player. You could see the win really meant something to him, which it doesn't always. There was always a question mark over whether he was the greatest, but his game and wins from his late 30s into his 40s puts him out and out the greatest. He's now in a class of his own. 

The most talented players of the last decade (Ding, Selby, Robertson, Trump) who we all thought would go on to collect all the major trophies have felt his "comeback" the most. They probably thought he'd be on the wane, but instead it's them who all to an extent look to have punched themselves out. 

He now towers over the game, like Federer in tennis and Woods in golf, even away from sport he's The Beatles of snooker. 

I wonder if Hendry looks at Ronnie now and regrets retiring when he did? Or is Ronnie just a total one off (well, yes he is, but you know what I mean). 

Hendry was well on the wane when he retired. The standard had been raised and he couldn’t keep up. 

What will snooker do when Ronnie goes? Their ratings will go through the floor. I like snooker but seriously can't be arsed to watch anyone but Ronnie. He makes it look so easy and is a proper character, whether you like him or not.

Selby is a fucking robot. Can't stand him and he must be what Davis was in the 80s. Methodical and boring, talented though he is. 

The rest are pretty much the same. Hard one to call

Snooker used to have more heroes and villains when I was younger. Not many I hate now, just indifferent to. As for the players I like best it's probably 90s nostalgia players like Ronnie, Williams and Higgins. 

Just remember Shaun frigging Murphy. Don't like him at all. 

It's hard to win the world championship - it's a long hard slog, and I'm not sure Ronnie can be bothered living in a Sheffield hotel for nearly three weeks. Snooker is as much a mental game as it is about skill - the to and fro of points and frames, the rub of the green. How many times have we seen a player well ahead only to fall apart when the pressure is at maximum and the other player has nothing to lose. 

The other shorter tournaments suit him better - especially something like the Masters where he can go home at the end of the day. Plus there are several excellent players out there who, if they hit form, can win it. The younger lads with no commitments who can just pour everything into three weeks at the Crucible. 

Depends - if he really puts his mind to it then he can turn up and (as Mark Allen said) have 90% of the other players beaten before they've even picked up a cue.

I still think he's the greatest. He's dealt with family issues, getting physically older (eyesight etc) and other distractions that come along as you get older, whereas Hendry wasn't the same player when all that came along.

I think Ronnie's flaws have added to his character and ultimately made him a better, more rounded player. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

It's hard to win the world championship - it's a long hard slog, and I'm not sure Ronnie can be bothered living in a Sheffield hotel for nearly three weeks. Snooker is as much a mental game as it is about skill - the to and fro of points and frames, the rub of the green. How many times have we seen a player well ahead only to fall apart when the pressure is at maximum and the other player has nothing to lose. 

The other shorter tournaments suit him better - especially something like the Masters where he can go home at the end of the day. Plus there are several excellent players out there who, if they hit form, can win it. The younger lads with no commitments who can just pour everything into three weeks at the Crucible. 

Depends - if he really puts his mind to it then he can turn up and (as Mark Allen said) have 90% of the other players beaten before they've even picked up a cue.

I still think he's the greatest. He's dealt with family issues, getting physically older (eyesight etc) and other distractions that come along as you get older, whereas Hendry wasn't the same player when all that came along.

I think Ronnie's flaws have added to his character and ultimately made him a better, more rounded player. 

My thoughts entirely.

The last couple of times at Sheffield he has just not been able to maintain focus for the duration.  At 43 you have to think it's not going to be easier next time.

• 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Stating the obvious but that must be game over.

Against anyone but Ronnie or Higgins yes. If Ronnie wins the first 2 frames Judd will do his usual keck shitting thing. He is looking good though and that last frame seriously fucked Ronnie. 

Madness that Ronnie is 8/1. Any other player and its 33/1