You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Songs that always seem to play when dust gets in your eye

Bjornebye

The living Years, Mike and the mechanics, my best mate died around the time it was out, always brings the memories back. As does Fairytale of New York for the same reason. Happy Xmas, John Lennon,  for the boss Xmas’s past, as a kid and, later on, boss Xmas nights out with all the lads when we didn’t have a care in the World. Quite a few Xmas songs get me. Band Aid, Jonah Luis, Johnny Mathis, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, transfers me a place where everything was just so simple and happy. Good times. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

If I happen to see the video for Hurt by Johnny Cash while intoxicated I risk death by dehydration.

First song I thought of. Not because it reminds me of any specific bad times, but because you can hear the remorse in his voice. It might be a cover rather than his original work, but the words just fit him perfectly somehow.

Best get yourself a (non alcoholic) drink mate.

• Upvote 1

I get a load's of dust in my eyes lately.

Remember watching this as a kid and not quite understanding the ending.. quite relevent now though and with Joan Baez singing...wow.

Hearing one of my sons sing this with his class when he was about 7 years old thinking "Dont Blink, Dont Blink" as my wife sobbed along with all the other mothers.

• Upvote 2

Puff the Magic Dragon is a great shout.  Morningtown Ride by the Seekers is another.  Grandfather's Clock another.  Songs that my nan used to sing when I was a kid.

Songs from films.  When Somebody Loved Me from Toy Story 2.  Feed the Birds from Mary Poppins.

I cry at the drop of a hat, to be fair. 

For more popular songs:

Sam Cooke - Change is Gonna Come

For a sad narrative, Dance Band on the Titanic by Harry Chapin, and Ode to Billie Joe by Bobbie Gentry (and even more so the cover version by Sinead O Connor):

Couple of weeks ago I was driving home and this came on, it fucking broke me.

I have no idea why, I don't have any attachment to the lyrics or anything, wasn't really having a bad day, and I'd heard it loads of times before that, but it just seemed to hit a nerve that night. 

Remembered about it about a week later and thought it was weird, so I stuck the video on my phone while I was in bed and the same thing happened, proper sobbing. 

I've managed to hold it together since then but it still makes me feel a bit fragile.