You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The FA Cup 2018/19 Thread.

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Would depend on how close we are to City i would imagine.

I really want us to win a bloody trophy and it would of course be nice to have a draw like City have or like the bitters where players could be rested after a mad period and know we'd still ease through - but as usual we haven't pulled that and i can't see us getting away with a weakened team or an off colour display if we are to get through.

I don't think it matters at all how far we are from City. We'll still have top 4 to play for. I genuinely don't remember this, but when did we last play a full team in a domestic cup game? And we've not had a title challenge for years. I reckon the only full team we've played since Kenny was sacked were the semis and final of the league Cup in klopp's 1st season and we weren't playing for top 4 then. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't think it matters at all how far we are from City. We'll still have top 4 to play for. I genuinely don't remember this, but when did we last play a full team in a domestic cup game? And we've not had a title challenge for years. I reckon the only full team we've played since Kenny was sacked were the semis and final of the league Cup in klopp's 1st season and we weren't playing for top 4 then. 

I thought we played pretty much our best teams last season in fa cup 3rd rd v bitters, 4th v wba....

I could be wrong!

PL owners only care about competitions which make them loads of cash,the PL itself and the CL(if your team is in it) and all the other stuff is just filler. Sad but true and why football has become dominated by the same group of clubs year in year out. The FA Cup used to be a great competition but it means fuck all to anybody but fans now.

12 hours ago, an tha said:

I thought we played pretty much our best teams last season in fa cup 3rd rd v bitters, 4th v wba....

I could be wrong!

I could be too, but I think we made loads of changes, but a little like the league cup this year against Chelsea, it was still lots of players who wouldn't get a game when we need to win. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I could be too, but I think we made loads of changes, but a little like the league cup this year against Chelsea, it was still lots of players who wouldn't get a game when we need to win. 

Had to check now!

v Bitters

• 1Karius
  • 12GomezSubstituted forSolankeat 77'minutesBooked at 88mins
  • 32Matip
  • 4van Dijk
  • 26Robertson
  • 23Can
  • 7MilnerSubstituted forAlexander-Arnoldat 77'minutes
  • 21Oxlade-Chamberlain
  • 20LallanaSubstituted forWijnaldumat 70'minutes
  • 19Mané
  • 9Roberto Firmino

v West Brom

• 22Mignolet
  • 66Alexander-Arnold
  • 32Matip
  • 4van Dijk
  • 18Moreno
  • 21Oxlade-ChamberlainSubstituted forIngsat 65'minutes
  • 23CanBooked at 61minsSubstituted forMilnerat 65'minutes
  • 5Wijnaldum
  • 11Salah
  • 9Roberto Firmino
  • 19ManéSubstituted forHendersonat 65'minutes

3 minutes ago, Naby's Nuts said:

Wolves knocked us out two years ago at home.  We played our dross that day and it didn't go so well.

Liverpool: Itandje, Finnan, Skrtel, Hyypia (Carragher 84), Riise, Pennant, Mascherano (Gerrard 87), Lucas, Benayoun (Kuyt 72), Crouch, Babel.
Subs Not Used: Martin, Torres.

This was how we lined up against Havant & Waterlooville. Twice we were behind to them at Anfield. Fucking twice. havant is only a few miles from Portsmouth where I lived and I was in the pub getting shit loads of stick during this game. We eventually won 5:2 but it should have been 10 nil! 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Liverpool: Itandje, Finnan, Skrtel, Hyypia (Carragher 84), Riise, Pennant, Mascherano (Gerrard 87), Lucas, Benayoun (Kuyt 72), Crouch, Babel.
Subs Not Used: Martin, Torres.

This was how we lined up against Havant & Waterlooville. Twice we were behind to them at Anfield. Fucking twice. havant is only a few miles from Portsmouth where I lived and I was in the pub getting shit loads of stick during this game. We eventually won 5:2 but it should have been 10 nil! 

I was at that game.

I was also present when Barnsley knocked us out at home and also Oldham away.....maybe I should swerve going to Molyneux in January!

• Upvote 2

I love the fa cup but i'd be happier playing young lads like masterson, camacho, jones and possibly kelleher etc and a few lads like sturridge and origi and seeing if it gets us through. If we are still in it in the latter rounds then that is when i'd take it more seriously.

We are in a title race right now and if by the time of the wolves fa cup game, we are still in it, then the league is the priority. Not the FA cup or the Champions League/Europa League.

Tonight was massive for us. Aside from the 3 points, it was beautiful winning with a lot of our main players getting rest for bournemouth. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I love the fa cup but i'd be happier playing young lads like masterson, camacho, jones and possibly kelleher etc and a few lads like sturridge and origi and seeing if it gets us through. If we are still in it in the latter rounds then that is when i'd take it more seriously.

We are in a title race right now and if by the time of the wolves fa cup game, we are still in it, then the league is the priority. Not the FA cup or the Champions League/Europa League.

Tonight was massive for us. Aside from the 3 points, it was beautiful winning with a lot of our main players getting rest for bournemouth. 

You are off your fucking barnet. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You are off your fucking barnet. 

We're in a title race against a fucking machine. We get through these few weeks and i'd much rather the likes of mane, mo, bobby, virgil, robbo and even allisson getting rest for an extra few days. Let Lallana come in and get some game time. Same with sturridge and origi. Let some of the young lads play and see how they do.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

We're in a title race against a fucking machine. We get through these few weeks and i'd much rather the likes of mane, mo, bobby, virgil, robbo and even allisson getting rest for an extra few days. Let Lallana come in and get some game time. Same with sturridge and origi. Let some of the young lads play and see how they do.

Never mind the players, I'd give Klopp the day off. Let him have a lie in, a nice bath and get a head start on the tactics for the next league fixture. 

The fixture congestion is bound to affect him just as much as it does the players. Stick Achterberg in for this one. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Negged.

We've won one trophy in the last 12 years and you want to chuck the FA cup.

There is no reason why we can't rotate three or four players to keep them fresh whilst putting out a good team. Fuck playing a load of kids who would then just get battered. It would be shit because we'd have pissed away another chance of a trophy and it would be shit for the youngsters whose only experience of playing in the first team would be getting hammered by a close to full strength Wolves side that has drawn with City and beaten Chelsea.

• Upvote 2

Great.....Game has now been moved to a Monday night for the Beeb which comes just two weeks after we've already been on Sky away to Wolves on a Friday night.

No wonder the cup is dying on it's arse this would have been a great tie for 3pm on a Saturday afternoon rather then yet another match involving premiership sides being on the box again

46 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Great.....Game has now been moved to a Monday night for the Beeb which comes just two weeks after we've already been on Sky away to Wolves on a Friday night.

No wonder the cup is dying on it's arse this would have been a great tie for 3pm on a Saturday afternoon rather then yet another match involving premiership sides being on the box again

Aargh I hate Monday night games.

• 4 weeks later...