You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Nov 24-30 2018)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Nov 24: 

Watford 0 L 3 Good three points that. Not entirely convincing but results are everything at the moment seeing as how no-one is even making any kind of pretence about giving City a game. They’re battering everyone so we have to just win and so far we’ve been finding a way to do it.

There’s a lot to like about what we did here, not least because Klopp only had one training session with his players. These are the kind of games we’ve fucked up so often in the past, but we’re taking care of business. It wasn’t fluent but we barely gave Watford any chances at all. We’re hard to play against and that’s half the battle. 

What’s the deal with Mo’s celebration though? It was defo a dig at Ramos, but what was the intent behind it? Bet we never get an explanation. He should just say “it’s my celebration now” and do it all the time. He scores so many goals it will quickly become synonymous with him and when Ramos does it it will look like he’s copying Mo. This has Lovren’s finger prints all over it.

In other news today, the Copa Libertadores game between Boca and River Plate was called off after River fans smashed up Boca’s bus. One player had to have glass removed from his eye and the Boca team were pretty shaken up about the whole thing. Apparently Carlos Tevez was the worst affected, which will surprise nobody. You can take the player out of Man City but you can’t take Man City out of the player. 

Still, it could have been worse. Someone could have lashed a can of Kopparberg. That would have been terrible.

Sunday Nov 25:

Ben Woodburn is back playing for the u23s. His loan hasn’t been cut short yet but it’s trending in that direction and could happen any day now apparently. The last couple of years of his career haven’t been great. He barely featured for us last year and a loan move made sense, but not being able to get in Sheffield United’s team doesn’t bode well.

Thing is, he’s still really young. To put it in perspective, loads of us are really excited about Harry Wilson (who scored again by the way) and how maybe he can come back next season and contribute here. Worth remembering then that when Wilson was Woodburn’s age he couldn’t get a game at Crewe. He’s three years older than Ben, so that shows just how much time Woodburn still has to develop.

So hopefully he doesn’t get too disheartened by this loan move as ultimately it means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Come back here, play some games in the u23s and find a new loan move in January. In hindsight, Rangers might have been good for him as Ejaria and Kent seem to be enjoying themselves up there.

Charlie Adam is talking about Shaq again, but this time he’s far more complimentary. “I don’t think he was (suited to a relegation battle), but listen, he’s got a wonderful talent and his game probably suits playing for a bigger club with better players. His awareness to pick a pass and see things that other players don’t – and we probably didn’t have enough players at his level.

“I criticised him because I felt when we were in a dogfight, we probably needed different types of characters – a Jon Walters, a Glen Whelan – they were the types of characters we needed.

“The little man can score goals out of nothing but we were low on confidence and couldn’t carry anybody of that ability without the other side of the game.”

Maybe if he’d said that in the first place he wouldn’t have pissed off Stoke and Liverpool fans as much as he did. Still, I’m not entirely happy with his explanation anyway. I mean, you can’t have a team of Jon Walters and Glenn Murrays, you need someone with a bit of guile too, otherwise you’re Burnley. 

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that 'The Week that Was' is only available to TLW website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first, registration is FREE) and can be purchased here.

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

The thing that gets me is that it would be so easy for the club to do more and it would be massively in their interests to do so. 

They've started to dip their toes but they should be all in. An obvious one is the lack of 4G football pitches for community use which massively inhibits youth football. They could sort that almost in an instant - and it would reap direct benefits for the club!

Even 1% of turnover would be huge. 

• Upvote 1

Hockey Clubs over here make a big deal of the charitable endeavours. They Canadian governemnt did an audit on them and one of them, in Calgary, only sent 35 cents of every dollar to charitable causes. 

My sister works in a children's hospital as a child life worker (making sure terminally ill children have activities to do) and the local NHL team would come by a couple of times a year and bring the media in tow for the pictures of how great the millioniare players are. A few players through the years would quietly come back and ask my sister about setting up trips for the kids to the arena to watch the team play and made it known that they preferred no media attention. 

She's an absolute saint, never see her angry or wound up but she would fume the few times the PR cunts got wind of it and would want to promote it during the game (like a welcome message on the jumbotron, or during the broadcast). 

Anyway, sounds like Andy Robertson just goes about this for no reason other than bejng a decent man, 

And 250,000£ if they have that laying around, doesn't need to go into some already seven figured salried cunts bank account.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic