You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Robertson: PSG's tactics left us frustrated

tlw content

Liverpool fell to a third consecutive away defeat in this years Champions League after Paris St Germain secured a crucial 2-1 victory at the Parc des Princes on Wednesday evening.

The loss sees progression to the knockout stages in significant doubt as the Reds need to secure all three points in the final group game against Napoli on the 11th of December at Anfield.

The hosts started well and truly on the front foot with their pace and one-touch football a real feature and opened up a two goal lead courtesy of Juan Bernat and Neymar.

The ever dependable James Milner gave the Reds a lifeline on the stroke of half time from the penalty spot.

However try as they might, a precious equaliser never came and it means the Reds are going to have to do things the hard way yet again.

A major talking point after the game was the tactics of the PSG players - particularly Neymar and Angel De Maria - of making the most out of any Liverpool foul and their overall time wasting.

While this has been common place in European competition for many years, it is still extremely frustrating to be on the receiving end of.

Sky Sports reported the Reds full-back Andy Robertson airing some strong thoughts about what went on.

"I suppose they were in the lead and they were looking to waste time. You can use gamesmanship, play-acting, you can use it all really.

"I would like to know how much time they wasted tonight. It's frustrating when [Neymar] is falling like he is. It's all part and parcel of his game and we needed to deal with that. We didn't quite control our aggression."

Liverpool have fallen victim to similar tactics in previous campaigns, and who can forget the 'dark arts' of Sergio Ramos in the Champions League final.

It will be fascinating to see if the Reds themselves employ such 'savvy' tactics if they are in a similar position against Napoli in a few weeks time.

A 1-0 win or a victory of two goals or more will be enough to see the Reds progress.

However that certainly will not be a easy task against the Italian side who currently top group C with nine points and are managed by one of the grand old masters in Carlo Ancelotti.

robertson3_600.jpg

For his part, Robertson was confident the team would produce a strong performance.

"We know we just go and try to win the game. I am sure everyone else will clear it up for us - I am sure the gaffer will know exactly what we need to do.

"It is at Anfield, I am sure we will have another special night, the fans can create a special atmosphere and hopefully get the result that we need.

"We have been good at home and we need to continue that. Napoli got the better of us over there. It was a good performance by them.

"But I am sure we will watch the match back and see what we did wrong because it wasn't a good performance.

"We will look to put it right and we look forward to the challenge."

While a sustained title challenge should be the number one priority this season, it certainly will not be desirable to drop into the dreaded Europa League

When the group was drawn we all probably knew it would come down to the last game, now we are at that moment let's hope the Reds can get the job done. 

View full article

3 hours ago, tlw content said:

While a sustained title challenge should be the number one priority this season, it certainly will not be desirable to drop into the dreaded Europa League

Not sure why people call it "dreaded Europa League" I'd be fucking made up if we won it.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

If we went out of the CL I would go all out to get the EL final and be robbed again.

I would go for it, won’t affect the league till what, mid February. 

We we will beat Napoli though. 

Not if we play Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner in midfield as scoring two goals out of one shot is asking for a fucking miracle.

46 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Not if we play Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner in midfield as scoring two goals out of one shot is asking for a fucking miracle.

Yup, no way can or I’m guessing will we see them at home to an Ancellotti side that doesn’t need to win.

im hoping and expecting Kieta to start the next two.  With Fabinho and Wijnaldum.  Almost certainly going to the derby midfield Shirley