You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Van Dijk : Lessons to be learned after PSG defeat

tlw content

The Champions League hopes of Liverpool are on a knife edge after a 2-1 defeat to Paris St Germain on Wednesday evening.

The loss produced a bit of unwanted history for the Reds as it is the first time they have lost all three away group games in the competition.

Just like the clash with Red Star Belgrade on the last matchday, Liverpool started on the back foot allowing their opponents to gain the ascendancy in the first half and it was an uphill challenge from there.

One man who had his share of work to do on the evening was Virgil Van Dijk.

The imposing central defender pulled no punches when speaking to the Official Site after the match.

"The first half wasn’t good enough and then you’re going to lose this game.

" After our second half, we came back better, put them under pressure and we had opportunities.

It was a bitty contest with a lot of stoppages from the referee and questionable antics from the home side to stop the flow of the game, especially when they got their nose in front. There is nothing new about such a tactic, it's not exactly a new trend like esports betting online, but it can be very tough to deal with. 

While Van Dijk did not name individuals from the opposition, he said it was a difficult game to play in.

" You need to be lucky at times. But in the end, it was a frustrating game. There are certain moments where you need to keep your head cool.

"It was difficult, there were good things in the second half but to lose it tonight is painful.

vandijk1_600.jpg

Continuing his honest appraisal of the game, the big Dutchman was disappointed in the goals which were conceded and pointed the finger of blame at himself.

"I’m disappointed with them. The one I tried to clear, the ball came behind me a little bit and they picked up the second ball.

"It should have been better there but everyone sometimes makes mistakes. I need to learn from that.

The second one was on the break – that’s what they’re good at. We need to do better. You make it difficult for yourself if you’re 2-0 down, especially after 30 minutes or so".

The big games will continue to come thick and fast starting with the Merseyside Derby on Sunday, following through to the clash with Napoli in two weeks time and Van Dijk knows exactly what needs to be done.

"We need to be up for it and we will be. We need everyone for that and I’m not in doubt that’s going to happen.

"Everyone is going to be ready for it. Until then, we need to be ready for the league as well and win our games".

We saw what a tremendous impact the fans had in the ties against Man City and Roma last season and against PSG in the first group game this season.

Just like the players themselves, the fans inside Anfield will be sure to bring their 'A game' to get the job done.

View full article

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Klopp fucked it up in Belgrade with his team selection and made the problem worse by another poor team selection in Paris. It's on him to dig the team out of the whole v Napoli. I am not particularly confident although a big performance is always a possibility with the right team selection.

What is the right team?

21 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

What is the right team?

One with a different midfield and one which rewards good performances. It certainly features Shaqiri and possibly Fabinho and Keita too. It doesnt feature Henderson and Milner(maybe one or the other at a push) and TAA should have kept his place at RB as his confidence would be sky high.

On 11/30/2018 at 1:24 PM, TheHowieLama said:

What is the right team?

Hard to know. If everyone is fit and if the summer signings succeed, then the below for me (Two big ifs)

Alisson

Gomez

Van Dijk

Trent

Robbo

Fabinho

Keita

Ox

Salah

Mane

Firmino

Ox is that player who makes our front three work IMO. Obviously Coutinho too before him.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

For about five games.

Yeah sure you can downplay it much as you want. Fact is he outplayed De Bruyne and Silva not once but twice last season. The two best midfielders in the league since the days of Gerrard and Vieira. SO he’s got ability. 

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Yeah sure you can downplay it much as you want. Fact is he outplayed De Bruyne and Silva not once but twice last season. The two best midfielders in the league since the days of Gerrard and Vieira. SO he’s got ability. 

I will downplay it until he lasts for a whole season and even if he was on the winning side v De Bruyne and Silva you are proper batshit to say he's anywhere near their level after his level of performances over the past five years let alone five games.

21 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I will downplay it until he lasts for a whole season and even if he was on the winning side v De Bruyne and Silva you are proper batshit to say he's anywhere near their level after his level of performances over the past five years let alone five games.

Why though? Never claimed he’s a better player than them, but in the two home games against City last season, he outplayed both of them. Most ratings sites would show you that. If we have a player capable of performing to that level, then be excited! More than any of our currently fit midfielders have shown us this season.

• Downvote 1