You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Save Calderstones Park

Bjornebye

Calderstones Park is one of the most beautiful places in Liverpool. Please sign the petition below and help them get to 75'000. 

For those who don't know: 

"On 14th February, Liverpool City Council's planning committee voted in favour of an application to build 51 luxury homes on part of the Calderstones/ Harthill Estate. In this development, 12.9 acres of one of Liverpool's most loved parks would be lost. Although according to Councillor Richard Kemp 90% of local residents are opposed to the proposals, despite a well attended protest on the day of the planning committee's visit and over 1000 letters of objection, the Mayor of Liverpool maintains that everybody is happy with this development.

In 1914, Harthill Estate was purchased by Liverpool City Council to join the adjacent Calderstones Estate. Since that time, local people have recognised Harthill/Calderstones Estate as one combined entity for public use and enjoyment. Although the Mayor contends that Harthill Estate is a separate entity, the Council's own website makes reference to the miniauture railway as being an amenity of Calderstones Park. This miniature railway, that has given rides to generations of children since 1943 and Beechley Stables, an oversubscribed facility for disabled riders, will be forced to relocate as a result of this application.

Currently, just 16% of the Liverpool area is considered to be green space. The austerity measures which the Council maintain justify the sale will inevitably be temporary, but once this green space is gone, it is lost as an amenity to this and future generations. Therefore, those who have signed below oppose this proposal, and urge the Council to reconsider the approval of this development."

https://www.change.org/p/save-calderstones-park

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Done. Calderstones is a fantastic park, and the sale of part of it will be a slippery slope. The local wards are slowly whittling away at Joe’s allies by choosing new Labour candidates for next year’s council elections. Slowly, slowly.

Its not even that the park is lovely mate, its the dynamic of the area. I'd love to live around there, had some relatives living there for years and its a great place. Adding a load more people to it changes things. 

Signed.

Is this the same piece of land that Joe Anderson has been after for years ? I seem to remember a snide photo he put out with his grandson trying to prove the land was vastly underused. There was lots of people saying he took the photo at an hour when hardly anyone would have been about. I've looked for the article but cant find but found this.

• Upvote 1

I used to run round it for cross country races.

Horrible, lung-bursting, dry-mouthed memories.  Great park.

In the past I fought a similar battle and lost.  Sad note of caution: if the powers that be want it, no public backlash will deter them.

But anyway, yes, signed.

• 1 month later...
Just now, Bjornebye said:

Same mate. Had a walk round Sefton park yesterday, they want to build on a part of that too the cunts. 

My Grandparents lived round the corner from Calderstones and some of my earliest memories are kicking a ball there and feeding the ducks. Sadly despite the early start my footballing skills remained the same and I acquired a taste for eating ducks.

I had heard something was happening at Sefton Park. Not sure what bit though. Also Princes Park.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, magicrat said:

My Grandparents lived round the corner from Calderstones and some of my earliest memories are kicking a ball there and feeding the ducks. Sadly despite the early start my footballing skills remained the same and I acquired a taste for eating ducks.

I had heard something was happening at Sefton Park. Not sure what bit though. Also Princes Park.

Just done a search and its Sefton Park meadows. Apparently its been ruled out. Just saw a sign on one of the trees there yesterday must have just been left up. they need to leave the green spaces the fuck alone. Leave the shite at Goodison and build a load of houses on Bramley Moore dock if they are so desperate for land. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Just done a search and its Sefton Park meadows. Apparently its been ruled out. Just saw a sign on one of the trees there yesterday must have just been left up. they need to leave the green spaces the fuck alone. Leave the shite at Goodison and build a load of houses on Bramley Moore dock if they are so desperate for land. 

Good and I fully agree. Liverpool has some great Victorian parks and they need preserving as our heritage not turning into building sites. Newsham and Stanley parks are great too despite being in much less affluent surroundings. 

On 11/23/2018 at 10:20 PM, Dougie Do'ins said:

Signed.

Is this the same piece of land that Joe Anderson has been after for years ? I seem to remember a snide photo he put out with his grandson trying to prove the land was vastly underused. There was lots of people saying he took the photo at an hour when hardly anyone would have been about. I've looked for the article but cant find but found this.

It's the sefton meadows site, which is next to Sefton Park. Pretty sure it has been ruled out for sale, as Joe wanted to sell it for housing. Aside form the villainy of selling parks to build on, it would also have been chaos there as it's right next to Liverpool College so you would have had hundreds of kids being dropped off, as well as about 80 homes.

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Just need to stop the fuckers building on Woolton Woods and Oglet Shore now.

Peel (and LJLA) have been chipping away at the Oglet shore for a while now and have left it to become totally overgrown and almost inaccessible in parts. They're cunts of the highest order. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...