Quantcast
Living Remotely or Off Grid - Page 7 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dougie Do'ins

Living Remotely or Off Grid

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

You wrestled it to exhaustion then offered it a beer?

No, quickly back paddled and got out of its way.They are massive creatures and ornery and unpredictable. 

Anyhoo he dropped by later for a pint and some pickerel. 

1 hour ago, neko said:

The Managed Forest Tax Incentive Plan means if you own a big chunk of land in Ontario, you pay almost no taxes if you keep the forest areas sustainable. Can be for hunting, hiking, education, harvesting....

No hunting on our property. The wife won't allow it. It's a sanctuary.

What about fishing?

On 17/06/2020 at 14:23, neko said:

Even putting shipping containers up there (which everyone suggests) requires 80' of straight line unloading, which is impossible.

I know of a man who would give it a try.

10 hours ago, neko said:

Love me some loons. There was a story a few weeks ago about a loon that stabbed a bald eagle in the heart when it tried to take her babies.

It's not really far from civilization. Only 1km from the highway. Two towns ten minutes away each direction (Thesallon / Iron Bridge).

Sault Saint Marie is an hour west. 

You were close, but here is the map....just west of Melwel lodge in the first bay

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.3083475,-83.3242259,2851m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

R4uY3NC.jpg

Can you elaborate on this? From reading that it seems you are saying that the Bald Eagle tried to steal someones babies so the person stabbed the fucking thing and you're calling that person a loon? I don't have any babies but if Ross Kemp on Wings swooped down to snatch one of them he would be lucky to escape with just a stabbing. I wonder what Eagle tastes like? 

Beautiful creatures. 

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Can you elaborate on this? From reading that it seems you are saying that the Bald Eagle tried to steal someones babies so the person stabbed the fucking thing and you're calling that person a loon? I don't have any babies but if Ross Kemp on Wings swooped down to snatch one of them he would be lucky to escape with just a stabbing. I wonder what Eagle tastes like? 

Beautiful creatures. 

Yeah - definitely a clickbait headline, but true....

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/05/why-loon-stabbed-bald-eagle-heart/

5 hours ago, neko said:

The fishing is great.

Lake trout and bass for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

tenor.gif?itemid=4879545

2 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Great film that. Such a shame about the bus being moved.

4 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4879545

Great film that. Such a shame about the bus being moved.

It was causing mayhem apparently; people were getting stranded and even dying trying to cross the river that McCandless couldn’t cross. I think the local search and rescue had had enough.

Krakeur’s book is excellent as is one called ‘The Wild Truth’ written by the sister Christine McCandless which provides a lot of background and context to Into The Wild that Krakauer has kept out of his book due to her wishes. 

Into Thin Air is great too about the Everest Disaster in 1996 I think it was that cost 10 or so lives; and the two subsequent books from survivors - A rich Yank named Beck Weathers (if I recall that’s his name) who was left to die basically on top of the mountain and lived and one of the guides named Anatoli Bourkeev whose book was a rebuttal that he was kipping whilst the disaster unfolded. 

• Upvote 1

On 19/06/2020 at 08:39, Bjornebye said:

Beautiful creatures. 

If you like Eagles get yourself to Chester Cathedral Falconry & Nature Centre when it reopens. They put several falconry shows on daily but after the one we went to they invited people back to the aviary to see all of the birds and snakes they have and to have a handle. I had a go at letting their Golden Eagle perch on my arm. Huge and really fucking heavy, but absolutely magnificent.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Anubis said:

If you like Eagles get yourself to Chester Cathedral Falconry & Nature Centre when it reopens. They put several falconry shows on daily but after the one we went to they invited people back to the aviary to see all of the birds and snakes they have and to have a handle. I had a go at letting their Golden Eagle perch on my arm. Huge and really fucking heavy, but absolutely magnificent.

I had the read this post a few times wearing a confused look before I realised you weren't talking about the band

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I had the read this post a few times wearing a confused look before I realised you weren't talking about the band

Ha ha. Just realised I’d capitalised it. 

12 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Ha ha. Just realised I’d capitalised it. 

It's definitely a case of me being a raving dribblechin