You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Living Remotely or Off Grid

Dougie Do'ins

I see 'remotely' and 'off grid' as two distinct ideas.

It's much more feasible and affordable to be 'off grid' now, even in the middle of suburbia. Not even 'off grid' but 'more energy self sufficient' providing 3/4 of your energy with a Solar system, not only saves money, but can provide an income, when you export power to the grid. (My electricity retailer buys units at wholesale rates, and credits the account of those generating)

It also provides a more robust energy system, by decentralising the national grid. Finally, power companies are up for it.

Here in New Zealand, an investment of NZ$20,000 puts a household in a very strong position. Even our bank is offering 'energy self sufficiency mortgage tops ups', and the bank chucks in a $2000 grant on top of that.

As for living remotely, I enjoyed that lifestyle in my 30s, but now in my 60s, i enjoy my little suburban paradise.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, razor said:

I read you have to have solar for 10 years to pay its cost back.  Alright if you're staying put, but not so good if you move (as most people do).

There is a big push here on solar -- rebates, tax breaks etc.

Yeah it is a long time (figured about 12 years on the discussion we had). 

The issue for me is - this technology is much like PC's were in the early 90's - every year to 18 months it is obsolete.

Drop a bunch of dough so that in 5 years you (or a potential buyer) actually want to get rid of what you have does not make sense.

On 11/22/2018 at 2:19 AM, TheHowieLama said:

There is a big push here on solar -- rebates, tax breaks etc.

Yeah it is a long time (figured about 12 years on the discussion we had). 

The issue for me is - this technology is much like PC's were in the early 90's - every year to 18 months it is obsolete.

Drop a bunch of dough so that in 5 years you (or a potential buyer) actually want to get rid of what you have does not make sense.

Here’s the rub though, If I do nothing, in ten years time I will have forked out upwards of NZ$40,000 on electricity ( inflation at 3% + history of price rises over the last ten years.)

So, even borrowing NZ$20,000 compounded at 4% over the next ten years on top of my existing mortgage, gives me a system that has a 25 year life (except the Lithium battery which currently has a ten year life) reduces my monthly bill of $300.00 by 75% and is a definite asset to the property as the cost of energy security continues to soar.

So $200 bucks a month gets diverted to the mortgage, based on our current monthly bill.

• 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, neko said:

bump.

my desire to have an off-grid cottage built this year has increased.

T5Z97WE.jpg

Good on you mate although I'd be worried about the cats and predators...... 

And no I don't live in the bush on the right. 

33 minutes ago, neko said:

getting a big dog and a rifle as well.

cats will be fine.

if only this coronavirus thingie had waited a year, we'd be all set.

Might be an opportunity though fella - real estate market will be slowed way down and the banks will probably give you dosh for less that 2.5%

It's more about getting the design right first, but I agree about the money/financing. Banks are slashing rates here as well.

Our site is 105 acres, limited road access, and the logistics of putting in solar power, septic on solid granite and access to lake water all need to be carefully planned, and I'm not an expert on any of it. It's a great challenge though.

Just wish I could have started earlier.

Saw this thread and it made me think of John Treagood, an old fella who lived on the backroads of Devon for decades. Saw his wagon and horse on the roadside near my village regularly all my life.

Anyway, seems he's just passed away. Tough but friendly guy, loved by many.  Amazed he managed to live on his terms to the very end.

0_johntreagood.jpg

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/john-treagoods-caravan-left-one-3837414

Actually think my Mum mentioned this when we were chatting a few weeks back, but the name evaded me at the time. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

@nekoHow many sq ft are you thinking?

That's an interesting question, because when you have that much room and so many good building spots, the temptation is to go BIG, but on the other hand, you want to build modestly and simple.

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah get Paulies missus to help with the plans 

Is she an architect ? There seem to be a few on here....including me. I'll post some design images this week.

5 hours ago, SasaS said:

What's the Internet situation in this corner of heaven?

Satellite - it works pretty well.

5 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Where is that ?

Big Basswood lake, Ontario - cleanest lake in the province. Google Melwel Lodge for my friend/neighbours resort.

On 21/11/2018 at 07:19, Trumo said:

It'd be like something out of The Revenant.

Nah. The Revenant was filmed here in Alberta. Western Canada is much better than the East. 

(*please ignore regional rivalry based input. It’s all good!  Sorry.)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Nice - strategically placed where you can foot it down to Thessalon then head over to Michigan on water to loot when the apocalypse hits. I know a fella with a canoe.

I'm thinking of becoming an insulin bootlegger. The Yanks charge six times the price. 

Retrace the routes of the Voyageurs but not with beaver pelts- insulin, ketchup chips (crisps) and propaganda like A Brief History of Socialized Medicine and Gun Control: How We Replaced Guns With Hockey Sticks. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Nice - strategically placed where you can foot it down to Thessalon then head over to Michigan on water to loot when the apocalypse hits. I know a fella with a canoe.

You've already figured it out...impressive. My friend has a drug runner type of boat in the marina there. We've gone over to the dark side a couple of times, but all they seem to sell is fudge.

31 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

I'm thinking of becoming an insulin bootlegger. The Yanks charge six times the price. 

Retrace the routes of the Voyageurs but not with beaver pelts- insulin, ketchup chips (crisps) and propaganda like A Brief History of Socialized Medicine and Gun Control: How We Replaced Guns With Hockey Sticks. 

Another brilliant idea.

I would like to live in say The Outer Hebrides in magnificent solitude as Buzz Aldrin said , as long as I had electricity, WiFi, telly, cooking facilities and a woman, also a helicopter to get me to the City for the weekend and take me back to sober up and come down in the surroundings of howling winds, crashing waves and the plaintive cries of shore birds. And a smoke