Quantcast
Living Remotely or Off Grid - Page 2 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Dougie Do'ins

Living Remotely or Off Grid

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Did 4 days at Loch Lomond for my 40th at the beginning of September. Absolutely love the place. No signal, no telly, just us in a caravan and absolutely stunning scenery. 

 

Spent hours with Skids Jr throwing stones at rocks and searching for treasure and shit. 

 

On our way back home we hit the city and I felt like my world had collapsed. I’ve not been right since. 

 

Wheb you leave this scenery, it’s hard to want to be anywhere else.

 

 

Camped on LL a few years ago and cycled up the west side of it on the big ride. Fucking stunning place. Gut wrenching re-entering the concrete jungle.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironically Portsmouth had a power outage tonight. Whole City plunged into blackness for about 40 minutes. My mates there on our whatsapp group thought the fucking Purge was happening. 

 

I could do it for a week, maybe 2 but you would lose your mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a place 25 minutes from the nearest shop, no mobile signal at all. I thought it was in the wilderness until I read some of the above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was marooned on an Island in Scotland for 6 months in my 20’s. Uninhabited and quite wild. My only friend was a football called Wembley who washed up on the beach one day. I was eventually rescued by Timothy West and Prunella Scales sailing their old Sloop called Sybil. 

It was hard on that island, lack of food and drinking my own urine to survive, I have never drank Fosters since and cannot even look at a Coconut.

I still look back fondly on the starry nights though, just me and Wembley.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mattyq said:

When I retire I'm going to buy a little boat and spend my time sailing around the world

You can't get more of a wilderness than the middle of the Atlantic

On a previous trip the wind died so we decided to have a little swim which was great and it was only when we got back on the boat that the skipper told us Africa was 500 miles one way, South America 1500 the other and the ocean was 4 km deep... makes you think

You were lucky not to end up as shark bait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Camped on LL a few years ago and cycled up the west side of it on the big ride. Fucking stunning place. Gut wrenching re-entering the concrete jungle.

I love it up there. First visited back in the beginning of 2000. Only drove through on the way to Glencoe (my experience of that visit was the most stunnnig thing I have ever seen). Camped on one of the islands on the Loch (southern end) a few years later. Proper roughed it. Went island hopping and got to see a Stag and his family wandering through the forest. I’ve never been so in awe of any place ever. I always feel at home up in Loch Lomond and the Welsh northern countryside. As much as I love our fair city, nothing beats the green grass of my ancestors. 

 

I just wanna get the family together and set off there. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, neko said:

The wife and cats and I will be living off-grid when we retire. We just bought a 110 ace parcel of waterfront property overlooking a beautiful lake in Northern Ontario.

 

I'm excited about the change in lifestyle, but it brings with it a steep learning curve - I've never lived like this before. We're not very far from civilization, but the property will have solar power, water pumped from the lake and a septic field for waste.

 

UYFZeQX.jpg

 

Definitely not living there in winter though.

 

 

 

 

This is it, man. Remember when you promised to be my sponsor so I could move to Canada? You’re gonna need someone to guard that 110 acres during the winter.

 

I have extensive security guard experience in high end places such as Stansted Airport, Cambridge University, three separate Tesco stores, an Essex shopping centre and a waste management site that was undergoing renovation and stunk of shit. I’ll be able to prevent people nicking your maple leaves no bother and the septic field malarkey is already on my CV. 

 

All I’m asking for is five acres, a basic wage and the use of your house with the nice garden in the summer, whilst you’re living it up in your remaining 105 acres. I’ll even feed the cats. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks brilliant neko. 110 acres is quite a large spread, enough room to do whatever you like for sure.

 

Solar has come such a long ways. I've mentioned before how I grew up in the Amazon, we had 4 solar panels and about 6 car batteries that was just about enough to run a shortwave radio, a water pump and a single flourescent bulb. Nowadays you can power an entire regular home on just 10 of them!

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent a couple of winters living in a log cabin in north-central British Columbia, for work. Wood stove for heat and cooking, outhouse, no running water.

 

But back to the city every ten days or so.

 

Other than the very cold toilet seat, I enjoyed it. We had good food, we got along well as a crew, and we were making decent money. Had a Walkman for music, and all the books I could read.

 

I wouldn't do it permanently, though. I like the comforts of the modern world much too much. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I love it up there. First visited back in the beginning of 2000. Only drove through on the way to Glencoe (my experience of that visit was the most stunnnig thing I have ever seen). Camped on one of the islands on the Loch (southern end) a few years later. Proper roughed it. Went island hopping and got to see a Stag and his family wandering through the forest. I’ve never been so in awe of any place ever. I always feel at home up in Loch Lomond and the Welsh northern countryside. As much as I love our fair city, nothing beats the green grass of my ancestors. 

 

I just wanna get the family together and set off there. 

 

Glencoe is my favourite place on the planet. Majestic and imposing whether it’s summer, winter, rain, shine or snow.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

 

Glencoe is my favourite place on the planet. Majestic and imposing whether it’s summer, winter, rain, shine or snow.

 

You’re not wrong. It helps when you See the setting winter sun on one side of velvet sky and the moon rising on the other side and snow covered scenery all around. Mind well and truly blown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

 

 

This is it, man. Remember when you promised to be my sponsor so I could move to Canada? You’re gonna need someone to guard that 110 acres during the winter.

 

I have extensive security guard experience in high end places such as Stansted Airport, Cambridge University, three separate Tesco stores, an Essex shopping centre and a waste management site that was undergoing renovation and stunk of shit. I’ll be able to prevent people nicking your maple leaves no bother and the septic field malarkey is already on my CV. 

 

All I’m asking for is five acres, a basic wage and the use of your house with the nice garden in the summer, whilst you’re living it up in your remaining 105 acres. I’ll even feed the cats. 

 

I'll keep that under consideration. We're not yet ready to retire, so in the meantime perhaps you could rake up all the leaves to prevent any forest fires.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My boss did the trans-siberian express when he was younger and has a number of cool stories. One of which was when he and his mate got to Lake Baikal they wanted to visit an island in the centre of it. With some very limited Russian, they arranged for a local fisherman to take them there and return for them in 2 days. 

 

He took them to a nice remote spot on the island and they were left with their tent and 2 days worth of food. The problems started when the fisherman did not return after 2 days. One day my boss was smoking on a cliff that overlooked the beach where his mate was sleeping in a tent. He noticed a Bear patrolling the beach and pass the tent, which still had some food in it at the time, luckily it just had a couple sniffs and got on with it. 

 

At this point they started reading up a bit more on the island and it had something like 10 times the density of Bear population as well as Tigers running wild. They kept what little food they had away from the tent after this. They were obviously getting hungrier after 4 or 5 days and managed to catch a Rabbit and kill it. But they got grossed out skinning the thing and threw it away! 

 

They also decided to start exploring the island as they were in a real survival situation now and needed food, despite the dangers of the wild animals. They saw an old tent that looked like it had been there for years but were too creeped out by it to open it!? They returned back to their camp where the fisherman picked them up after a week, turns out it was a hilarious misunderstanding. 

 

Is it weird that I'm a bit jealous that this happened to him? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, neko said:

The wife and cats and I will be living off-grid when we retire. We just bought a 110 ace parcel of waterfront property overlooking a beautiful lake in Northern Ontario.

 

I'm excited about the change in lifestyle, but it brings with it a steep learning curve - I've never lived like this before. We're not very far from civilization, but the property will have solar power, water pumped from the lake and a septic field for waste.

 

UYFZeQX.jpg

 

Definitely not living there in winter though.

 

 


I've never been but like the idea of North Ontario. Blue, blue windows behind the stars. Yellow moon on the rise. Except in winter, it leaves you kind of...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Remmie said:

They returned back to their camp where the fisherman picked them up after a week, turns out it was a hilarious misunderstanding. 

 

Is it weird that I'm a bit jealous that this happened to him? 

latest?cb=20150923105923

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Available Subscriptions

  • Last Match Report

  • Latest Posts

    • It was the gimp, I think. 
    • They’re really milking this deal. 
    • I know there’s no time for two club cunts on here but Sporting just need 4 points to clinch the Premeira. Three years ago they were known as the worst run club in world football, when their president paid supporters to attack players at the training ground. Just goes to show anything is possible and you are never as far away as you think. All done on a shoestring budget, with a rookie manager and a bunch of punk kids. Big Seb Coates finally came good.
    • The irony is that almost every other club would kill to be in the position that City and Chelsea are in.
      Everton would be top of that list, yet proudly spout about how they “called out” the breakaway six and spoke for every other club when they called for sanctions against them. The purpose of those sanctions were to allow themselves to be bumped into a position where they could “qualify” for a European place that they hadn’t actually earned as much as anything else and to claim differently is basically a lie.
      West Ham, Brighton and Crystal Palace, with rent-a-quote chairman Steve Parrish, again pontificating about how these teams should be brought to book, yet wanting to null and void last season to protect themselves against possible relegation whilst saying it was morally wrong to play on given lives were being lost. They refuse to see that in applauding City and Chelsea for breaking away, and back into the Premier League, all that is guaranteeing is they strengthen those clubs with Oligarchs or Oil States as owners to continue dominating every competition they are in, effectively taking the competitiveness away from those very same competitions!
      The ESL wasn’t handled very well in its timing or proposed implementation, but the general idea that it would possibly limit the massive money teams and allow others to challenge them was a sound one, but the blinkers were on from the time the announcement was made and the “little 14”, as opposed to the “big 6”, basically decided to hold onto what they had rather than what they might have had. It won’t go away though and they must know that, even if the current voting regulations in the Premier League give them the whip hand, and effectively a veto, for anything the top teams might want to bring in. A quick look at who has won the major prizes in European competition and domestic leagues over the past few seasons will show them why the current system needs changes to be made. They’re all hypocrites though, and will bury their collective heads in the sand while the really big boys dry bum them.
    • Talk that we have agreed terms with Konate
  • Latest Round Up

  • Popular Contributors

  • top casino sites
  • new UK casino
×