You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Living Remotely or Off Grid

Dougie Do'ins

4 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I think I seen that, might look myself. Wouldn't of thought there would be much to report from there apart from say the frustrations of trying to catch a shite hawk for tea. 

I was hoping to see some natural gas burn some ass 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, neko said:

despite what many might think, we're not minted, so all takes time and careful planning. designing 110 acres of property with amazing views everywhere does have its challenges.

That was me and I feel bad about it, especially as I am now trying to butter you up. 

It's just hard to imagine 110 acres being affordable, but like you say Canada is a rather large country.

What a project to have though.

11 hours ago, rb14 said:

Woahhhhh just a minute. Stop RIGHT there. Kids? You? Nah. Really? 

Bloody hell Cain. Hasn't time passed. 

I'm well into my 30s now, haven't a clue how that happened Rog!

8 hours ago, TheBitch said:

What a wonderful time of the year having forum royalty, Neko and Carradonna posting. 

My good mate Rich! Miss those nights out in Liverpool, fucking hell they were great.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, TheBitch said:

What a wonderful time of the year having forum royalty, Neko and Carradonna posting. 

Hang on. Royalty and I don't get a mention? I actually AM royalty. Jeeeez. 

1 hour ago, Carradona said:

If you're well into your 30s, I must be 36. Good grief. Massive snogs Cainy. 

• Upvote 1

On 23/11/2020 at 16:43, neko said:

Spectacular view of the property, and it's all ours.....

To my eternal shame I've (we've) not yet done Canada. Alongside NZ, it's at the top of my MUST list. In fact I was saying to 'im indoors just the other day that Canada and NZ were the two countries I'd be most likely to move to, if we were to leave the UK. I think I even have distant relatives in Yellowknife. Bit parky for me that far north I reckon, but see your laaand there Neko. I look at that and apart from thinking "drop dead gorgeous", my next thought is "mozzies". Fucking mozzies. Am I wrong? 

16 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Hang on. Royalty and I don't get a mention? I actually AM royalty. Jeeeez. 

If you're well into your 30s, I must be 36. Good grief. Massive snogs Cainy. 

Something, something, something, the forum Queen... 

It’s there somewhere I just haven’t quite got it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carradona said:

My good mate Rich! Miss those nights out in Liverpool, fucking hell they were great.

You being into your 30’s with kids. The fuck happened to us?

Anyway, there does look to be mozzies, are there mozzies, @neko?

12 hours ago, rb14 said:

To my eternal shame I've (we've) not yet done Canada. Alongside NZ, it's at the top of my MUST list. In fact I was saying to 'im indoors just the other day that Canada and NZ were the two countries I'd be most likely to move to, if we were to leave the UK. I think I even have distant relatives in Yellowknife. Bit parky for me that far north I reckon, but see your laaand there Neko. I look at that and apart from thinking "drop dead gorgeous", my next thought is "mozzies". Fucking mozzies. Am I wrong? 

black flies, more than mosquitos. 

they aren't that bad, except maybe july.

being on the water and a good breeze helps.

19 hours ago, Remmie said:

That was me and I feel bad about it, especially as I am now trying to butter you up. 

It's just hard to imagine 110 acres being affordable, but like you say Canada is a rather large country.

no worries - i just don't want anyone to think this comes easy. the challenge is making it work, and living a dream life without simply throwing a ton of money around.

On 29/12/2020 at 08:09, Code said:

Had a look back to page 4, looks like a very interesting project.

How is planning going with the council, have you got everything sorted and are ready to go when the infrastructure is in place?

Mate it’s the northern boreal forest in Canada  he only needs to answer to the moose, beavers, wolves and the odd Ministry of Natural

Resources officer that may make sure he’s not running an illegal pulp mill. 

Or stealing hydro to run the servers for Titty City

On 29/12/2020 at 18:32, rb14 said:

Dene or Dogrib? 
Or Inuvialut but that’s way up on the Arctic Ocean.

On 29/12/2020 at 17:52, Remmie said:

It's mostly rocks, man.

• 2 weeks later...

"It's mostly rocks, man".

One of two large natural springs I found in the forest. Like walking on a giant sponge.

kWINkhX.jpg

1km of waterfront and a private bay.

yn8KXfq.jpg

View from rocky point

xPT2Q4f.jpg

View from another ridge in spring

RpaCNsT.jpg

Views above private bay in autumn - not a person for miles (except the wife)

s0Ezxxc.jpg

Mostly just rocks, Sunset 

AfHLie9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1