You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Living Remotely or Off Grid

Dougie Do'ins

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I can imagine the scenery would be stunning but I like my creature comforts too much. While going to the local Asda and mixing with the hordes is a chore, I dont fancy having to trap rabbits, wild pigs etc then gut the fuckers when I need something to eat.

I'd avoid Skem then , DS.

• Upvote 2

Just bought a small site in rural Ireland, we can't wait to begin the house planning.

Couldn't go too far off grid because we have the kids in school, but it's in the countryside on a road that is only shared by one other house. We monitored the traffic over the space of 18 hours one day and there was only one tractor passed the entire time. The only sounds you can hear are the animals and wildlife in the adjoining fields that stretch for kilometers north, south, east and west. Views over a huge lough and on out over the Atlantic Ocean. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

20 minutes ago, neko said:

That sounds amazing - congrats.

Where in Ireland ? I loved cycling around the rural parts - beautiful landscape and really really green.

Pics, obviously.

County Donegal, way up on the North West. I'm biased but it's a really beautiful county. We have some derelict buildings on the site that we'll demolish and use as stones for a brick wall for the front boundary of the site.

IMG-20201215-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20201215-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20201215-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20201215-WA0014.jpg

• Upvote 12

9 hours ago, Carradona said:

Just bought a small site in rural Ireland, we can't wait to begin the house planning.

Couldn't go too far off grid because we have the kids in school, but it's in the countryside on a road that is only shared by one other house. We monitored the traffic over the space of 18 hours one day and there was only one tractor passed the entire time. The only sounds you can hear are the animals and wildlife in the adjoining fields that stretch for kilometers north, south, east and west. Views over a huge lough and on out over the Atlantic Ocean. 

Looks and sounds great that, my tolerance levels of other peoples loudness and general behaviour are almost nil. 

I've often thought of Rockall as the place to be but I think that would be going to far and I'd starve to death. 

Somewhere like that, with a WiFi connection, a supply of smoking material, a decent pair of binoculars and a woman sometimes on hand would be just fine. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Looks and sounds great that, my tolerance levels of other peoples loudness and general behaviour are almost nil. 

I've often thought of Rockall as the place to be but I think that would be going to far and I'd starve to death. 

Somewhere like that, with a WiFi connection, a supply of smoking material, a decent pair of binoculars and a woman sometimes on hand would be just fine. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Carradona said:

County Donegal, way up on the North West. I'm biased but it's a really beautiful county. We have some derelict buildings on the site that we'll demolish and use as stones for a brick wall for the front boundary of the site.

IMG-20201215-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20201215-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20201215-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20201215-WA0014.jpg

Trying to work out where on that top pic, I'd know Donegal pretty well

On 23/11/2020 at 17:43, neko said:

Friend had a drone with him on our last visit to Ontario in October for Thanksgiving.

Spectacular view of the property, and it's all ours.....

So what are you doing with the Property? 

Im asking cause I did not see any roads, cabins, boathouse, pier or anything?

Do you use the forrest for timber?

11 hours ago, neko said:

Yup - that's the place Carradonna. Beautiful.

Thinking of building with the existing stone structure ?

The existing buildings will be demolished and we'll use most of that stone for a wall but might use some of it as a feature on the front the house too. 

21 hours ago, Carradona said:

Couldn't go too far off grid because we have the kids in school, but it's in the countryside on a road that is only shared by one other house. 

Woahhhhh just a minute. Stop RIGHT there. Kids? You? Nah. Really? 

Bloody hell Cain. Hasn't time passed. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Code said:

So what are you doing with the Property? 

Im asking cause I did not see any roads, cabins, boathouse, pier or anything?

Do you use the forrest for timber?

yup - it's all being planned and designed right now (some of the house designs are a few pages back in the thread on page 4).

dock in the bay is reasonably straight forward and ready to go. there is an existing trail from the main road that needs upgrading/stabilizing to accommodate construction vehicles. solar power array just needs the right installer. septic and water as well.

the forest is currently under a provincial forestry plan that reduces our tax bill to basically zero. we can harvest some wood in the future (and i'd like to) but it requires a change to our forestry plan.

despite what many might think, we're not minted, so all takes time and careful planning. designing 110 acres of property with amazing views everywhere does have its challenges.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

What a wonderful time of the year having forum royalty, Neko and Carradonna posting. 

Nice to see you're still around as well, senor Bitch.

last I remember you were complaining about weeds in your lawn on the gardening thread ! How things change.

20 minutes ago, Code said:

Had a look back to page 4, looks like a very interesting project.

How is planning going with the council, have you got everything sorted and are ready to go when the infrastructure is in place?

Not really - I haven't settled on the design just yet.

It's a very small, rural municipality - they aren't going to have any issues with the building(s) other than setbacks to water and making sure the septic, power and water is up to code. 

I'll probably start opening a line of communication with them in the spring, just to get a feel for the process and people in charge. I don't think they even have a building inspector. Just a local engineering firm working as part-time consultants.

6 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Haha, where did you dig that out? I'll wager you never danced to that barefoot on board one of the HMS Fleet for fear of being keel hauled. 

Ha funnily enough mate no this was never played on-board. I probably have danced barefoot to it at some point though! 

When I looked for it there was a 60 days on Rockall video on You-The. I might watch that later. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Ha funnily enough mate no this was never played on-board. I probably have danced barefoot to it at some point though! 

When I looked for it there was a 60 days on Rockall video on You-The. I might watch that later. 

I think I seen that, might look myself. Wouldn't of thought there would be much to report from there apart from say the frustrations of trying to catch a shite hawk for tea.