You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Living Remotely or Off Grid

Dougie Do'ins

Vancouver has some of the worst air quality in the world right now, due to the forest fires in the US. Visibility is down to less than 500m.

On top of that, our local pier caught on fire a few days ago and started spewing toxic chemicals from the creosote.

Eyes are burning and headaches are awful.

I'm fucking off to Northern Ontario with my friend for a week starting tomorrow. See if I can get a builder on board for spring and have something to run away to by the end of next summer. 

Hasta la vista.

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I wish I did live in a remote place these days. 

We have about 8 flights to mainland UK a day.  Takes 15 minutes, feels like getting a lift in someone's car. 

The islands' newspaper agent puts messages on Facebook to tell people when the papers come in, or if fog has delayed them. 

Our supermarket lets in 10 people at a time. 

Golf buggies are road legal.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

You roasted and ate that little critter, didn’t you Neko?

no chance.

got to shoot a bunch of guns this weekend as well, including an old mauser sniper rifle, a remington lever action rifle and a ross rifle from ww1. haven't done any shooting since i was 16.

could never shoot an animal unless it was chewing on my leg, or i was starving.

• Upvote 1

Yeah the Scilly Isles are fantastic, when I stayed I was amazed how quiet it was, stayed at least a mile from the coast but could hear the gentle tide lapping at the beaches and absolutely nothing else. Mad how little things like that become special. 

Also Island hopping in the sunshine with cream teas and pimms was lovely. 

• 1 month later...