You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Living Remotely or Off Grid

Dougie Do'ins

1 hour ago, neko said:

The Managed Forest Tax Incentive Plan means if you own a big chunk of land in Ontario, you pay almost no taxes if you keep the forest areas sustainable. Can be for hunting, hiking, education, harvesting....

No hunting on our property. The wife won't allow it. It's a sanctuary.

What about fishing?

10 hours ago, neko said:

Love me some loons. There was a story a few weeks ago about a loon that stabbed a bald eagle in the heart when it tried to take her babies.

It's not really far from civilization. Only 1km from the highway. Two towns ten minutes away each direction (Thesallon / Iron Bridge).

Sault Saint Marie is an hour west. 

You were close, but here is the map....just west of Melwel lodge in the first bay

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.3083475,-83.3242259,2851m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

R4uY3NC.jpg

Can you elaborate on this? From reading that it seems you are saying that the Bald Eagle tried to steal someones babies so the person stabbed the fucking thing and you're calling that person a loon? I don't have any babies but if Ross Kemp on Wings swooped down to snatch one of them he would be lucky to escape with just a stabbing. I wonder what Eagle tastes like? 

Beautiful creatures. 

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Can you elaborate on this? From reading that it seems you are saying that the Bald Eagle tried to steal someones babies so the person stabbed the fucking thing and you're calling that person a loon? I don't have any babies but if Ross Kemp on Wings swooped down to snatch one of them he would be lucky to escape with just a stabbing. I wonder what Eagle tastes like? 

Beautiful creatures. 

Yeah - definitely a clickbait headline, but true....

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/05/why-loon-stabbed-bald-eagle-heart/

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, neko said:

The fishing is great.

Lake trout and bass for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

tenor.gif?itemid=4879545

2 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Great film that. Such a shame about the bus being moved.

4 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4879545

Great film that. Such a shame about the bus being moved.

It was causing mayhem apparently; people were getting stranded and even dying trying to cross the river that McCandless couldn’t cross. I think the local search and rescue had had enough.

Krakeur’s book is excellent as is one called ‘The Wild Truth’ written by the sister Christine McCandless which provides a lot of background and context to Into The Wild that Krakauer has kept out of his book due to her wishes. 

Into Thin Air is great too about the Everest Disaster in 1996 I think it was that cost 10 or so lives; and the two subsequent books from survivors - A rich Yank named Beck Weathers (if I recall that’s his name) who was left to die basically on top of the mountain and lived and one of the guides named Anatoli Bourkeev whose book was a rebuttal that he was kipping whilst the disaster unfolded. 

• Upvote 1

On 19/06/2020 at 08:39, Bjornebye said:

Beautiful creatures. 

If you like Eagles get yourself to Chester Cathedral Falconry & Nature Centre when it reopens. They put several falconry shows on daily but after the one we went to they invited people back to the aviary to see all of the birds and snakes they have and to have a handle. I had a go at letting their Golden Eagle perch on my arm. Huge and really fucking heavy, but absolutely magnificent.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Anubis said:

If you like Eagles get yourself to Chester Cathedral Falconry & Nature Centre when it reopens. They put several falconry shows on daily but after the one we went to they invited people back to the aviary to see all of the birds and snakes they have and to have a handle. I had a go at letting their Golden Eagle perch on my arm. Huge and really fucking heavy, but absolutely magnificent.

I had the read this post a few times wearing a confused look before I realised you weren't talking about the band

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, neko said:

Some one just sent me that same article.

Surprised I never heard of it (it's off the west coast of BC).

Also surprised they could build all that on such a small island without building code issues.

I dont think it is an "island" per se. There is no land.

More of a giant raft/float as I understand.

2 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

That was on a documentary. Can't remember the name.

The guy has a glass hatch in his living room, so he can fish from his armchair.

It's at the top of the article: great big story

• Upvote 1