You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Living Remotely or Off Grid

Dougie Do'ins

18 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Im so fucking jealous. More so of the seclusion than the stunning architecture 

Just being able to walk outside, take a seat, and hear nothing but the gentle lapping of water and the sounds of nature. No cars. No tv. No cunts blasting music in their back gardens like they’re running a festival.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Just being able to walk outside, take a seat, and hear nothing but the gentle lapping of water and the sounds of nature. No cars. No tv. No cunts blasting music in their back gardens like they’re running a festival.

Yep this. Its not all about wanking with the windows wide open. Neko has got it sussed. His Cat is the luckiest fucker on the planet. 

'A Red' is right though - could you live remotely all year without any outside source of entertainment or social interaction. We have deathly cold winters as well. Picture wolf packs running across a frozen, windswept lake.

The answer for us, in particular the wife, is emphatically 'no'.

We have a winter home in Mexico. Busy, vibrant city living. I kind of like the idea of swapping one extreme for the other. I also like the idea of the wife spending time in Mexico while I go fishing in Ontario.

Toronto is six hours away if you need it.

13 minutes ago, neko said:

'A Red' is right though - could you live remotely all year without any outside source of entertainment or social interaction. We have deathly cold winters as well. Picture wolf packs running across a frozen, windswept lake.

We have a winter home in Mexico. Busy, vibrant city living. I kind of like the idea of swapping one extreme for the other. I also like the idea of the wife spending time in Mexico while I go fishing in Ontario.

Wolf packs? It just gets better.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, neko said:

Winter would be the best time for me. Snow & ice & log fires

Do you get midges in the summer?

34 minutes ago, neko said:

Six hours? A mere brisk walk!

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, neko said:

Six months leading the cartel. Six months feeding the bodies to wolves. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, neko said:

Please post daily and more frequently. I have decided to live my life through you from now on. 

• Upvote 1

In the late 80's after high school I spent a summer in the bush, set up a tent on an island on a small meandering river, about a mile or so from an old logging road. Never saw anyone, would hear the odd truck on the logging road. Another spot I'd go to was the upper lake in a chain of three, the first two had a couple of cottages but the third one was unihabitated. You had to canoe in and portage a couple of places and cross over a beaver dam so would only stay 2-3 days. Easily catch fish out of the lake. At night you could hear the timberwolves howl, listen to the call of the loon and early in spring bullfrog mating season would ensure little sleep at times. 

When I lived in Nunavut you could take the skidoo out of the hamlet and over two eskers and once the machine cooled off and stopped making noise there was complete silence. Just a frozen tundra moonscape. Complete silence. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

In the late 80's after high school I spent a summer in the bush, set up a tent on an island on a small meandering river, about a mile or so from an old logging road. Never saw anyone, would hear the odd truck on the logging road. Another spot I'd go to was the upper lake in a chain of three, the first two had a couple of cottages but the third one was unihabitated. You had to canoe in and portage a couple of places and cross over a beaver dam so would only stay 2-3 days. Easily catch fish out of the lake. At night you could hear the timberwolves howl, listen to the call of the loon and early in spring bullfrog mating season would ensure little sleep at times. 

Chris McCandless here.

21 hours ago, A Red said:

Love the look of your plans Neko. It wouldnt be for me as, looking at google maps of where you are, it would be just too far from civilisation. I like to be out in the sticks, but when i say that I mean a £10 taxi ride from the pubs on a Saturday night.

Will you have another abode elsewhere so you can flit between there and somewhere a bit more lively?

I was having a look on google maps too to try and get a better idea of the location and think it's here.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.3456466,-83.3260423,16z?hl=en

It's only when you zoom out you realise just how isolated it is.

Love me some loons. There was a story a few weeks ago about a loon that stabbed a bald eagle in the heart when it tried to take her babies.

It's not really far from civilization. Only 1km from the highway. Two towns ten minutes away each direction (Thesallon / Iron Bridge).

Sault Saint Marie is an hour west. 

You were close, but here is the map....just west of Melwel lodge in the first bay

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.3083475,-83.3242259,2851m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

R4uY3NC.jpg

The Managed Forest Tax Incentive Plan means if you own a big chunk of land in Ontario, you pay almost no taxes if you keep the forest areas sustainable. Can be for hunting, hiking, education, harvesting....

No hunting on our property. The wife won't allow it. It's a sanctuary.