You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Seattle

JohnnyH

I’m working over there for 3 days, travelling over Monday week, and I have a spare day and a spare morning on the day I fly out, so I was wondering has anyone been and if so can they recommend anything to see or do in short spaces of time?

Also, good bars and eateries. 

Im staying fairly central I think. 

Thanks peoples. 

We spent 4 days there in 2015, loved it. 

My top suggestion, have a few beers with Pat (theghost) and Jeff (Crouchie Boy), long AWOL TLW'ers. 

If not, then definitely visit Pike Place Market, it's a great way to idle away a morning, drink great coffee and eat delicious food (get some king crab). 

The Space Needle is another "must" if you have the time to get there (take the monorail) and the nearby Museum of Pop Culture houses everything to do with Seattle's pop culture, including exhibits on Hendrix and Cobain. 

The Central Library is a phenomenal piece of architecture, my favourite building (my wife thinks that visiting it was the entire reason I arranged the holiday) and a great public place. 

It's an absolutely fantastic city, you'll love even a short stay.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Get your arse up to Everett the Boeing factory. Largest man made building on the planet.

It was mind blowing when I went in 1988 and it's even bigger now.

Where are the bigger non-man made buildings on the planet?

Are we talking aliens or an ant hill the size of Ben Nevis here?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

I'm confused. What are you babbling on about Mark?

It might be me that's confused but you said the biggest man made building in the World was in Seattle.

I'm trying to figure out which non-man made buildings are bigger.

3 hours ago, Karl_b said:

We spent 4 days there in 2015, loved it. 

My top suggestion, have a few beers with Pat (theghost) and Jeff (Crouchie Boy), long AWOL TLW'ers. 

If not, then definitely visit Pike Place Market, it's a great way to idle away a morning, drink great coffee and eat delicious food (get some king crab). 

The Space Needle is another "must" if you have the time to get there (take the monorail) and the nearby Museum of Pop Culture houses everything to do with Seattle's pop culture, including exhibits on Hendrix and Cobain. 

The Central Library is a phenomenal piece of architecture, my favourite building (my wife thinks that visiting it was the entire reason I arranged the holiday) and a great public place. 

It's an absolutely fantastic city, you'll love even a short stay.

Great info. Nice one. 

Haven’t been to Seattle in quite a while, but Bill Spiedel’s Underground Tour is quite interesting. 

http://www.undergroundtour.com/

My my brother was there last week and he went, Said it was good. 

BILL SPEIDEL'S UNDERGROUND TOUR
is Seattle’s most unusual attraction, a humorous stroll through intriguing subterranean storefronts and sidewalks entombed when the city rebuilt on top of itself after the Great Fire of 1889.

The 75-minute guided walking tour begins beneath Doc Maynard’s Public House, then spills into historic Pioneer Square, Seattle’s birthplace, before plunging underground for an exclusive, time-capsule view of the buried city.”

11 hours ago, Karl_b said:

If you're anywhere near Capitol Hill then indulge at Chuck's Hop Shop on the corner of 20th Ave and E Union Street. They have an incredible selection of bottled and draft beers:

WP_20150730_21_35_55_Pro.jpg

After sampling a few:

WP_20150730_21_19_50_Pro.jpg

Fantastic place.

Not far from Ballard, which is a nice spot to hang around. As is Fremont. Plenty of breweries and the like around there.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking of Chuck's on the north side. Didn't realize there was a second one now...

26 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Beautiful state, pity you don't have more time to spend there. Karl_b's recommendations are solid.

I'd add the Museum Of Pop Culture (there were remarkable grunge and horror film exhibitions on when I was there) and also gorging on fish tacos.

Surprised this wasn't Alan's recommendation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Beautiful state, pity you don't have more time to spend there. Karl_b's recommendations are solid.

I'd add the Museum Of Pop Culture (there were remarkable grunge and horror film exhibitions on when I was there) and also gorging on fish tacos.

A92B845B-1161-4E2C-9E2E-BD6F5DB78C75.jpeg