You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

10 hours ago, Anubis said:

Interesting take on the state of UK journalism. You’ll need to click and read the whole thread.

If he managed to see Trevor Noah as the opposite good example of interviewing it must have been a truly horrible experience for him.

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Good mix of views on the Marr show , May’s deputy , the leader of UKIP and the head of the Co-op ?

They did a good job on the jeremy hates jews bollicks thought. Got the jab in a few times. Plus even though the bbc darling jess phillips wasnt on for once her sunday newspaper coloum bashing Corbyn got a mention.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The right-wingification of the BBC continues. I don't think much of Naga Munchetty as a presenter, but she's been deemed to have breached corporation guidelines with her response to Trump's comments about those non-white US congresswomen. She was 100% spot on.

Naga Munchetty 'breached BBC rules' with Trump comments

Naga Munchetty breached BBC guidelines by criticising President Donald Trump for perceived racism, the corporation's complaints unit has ruled.

In July the BBC presenter took issue with comments made by the US President after he told opponents to "go back" to the "places from which they came".

The BBC said the Breakfast host was entitled to her own views but had gone "beyond what the guidelines allow for".

It said any action taken as a result of the finding would be published later.

A BBC spokeswoman said the corporation's Executive Complaints Unit [ECU] had ruled that "while Ms Munchetty was entitled to give a personal response to the phrase 'go back to your own country' as it was rooted in her own experience, overall her comments went beyond what the guidelines allow for".

Speaking on BBC Breakfast on 17 July after Mr Trump's online remarks, Munchetty said: "Every time I have been told, as a woman of colour, to go back to where I came from, that was embedded in racism.

"Now I'm not accusing anyone of anything here, but you know what certain phrases mean."

Munchetty said she felt "absolutely furious" and suggested many people in the UK might feel the same way.

"I can imagine lots of people in this country will be feeling absolutely furious that a man in that position feels it's okay to skirt the lines with using language like that," she told co-presenter Dan Walker.

Her comments followed Mr Trump posting several messages that made references to the Democrat politicians Ilhan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib.

"Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came," he wrote on Twitter on 14 July.

The BBC journalist received praise online for her "off-script" moment.

The ECU found Munchetty's assertion that Mr Trump's comments were "embedded in racism" went beyond what the BBC allows and upheld a complaint made about the presenter's comments.

The BBC's spokeswoman said a summary of the complaint and the ECU's decision would be published on the BBC's online complaints pages and that it would "include a note of any action taken as a result of the finding".

Labour MP David Lammy called the ECU's decision "appalling", while journalist Kevin Maguire said it was a "bad, bad day".

A representative for BBC Breakfast said Munchetty was not available for comment.

25 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They have been reporting from Stoke on BBC News the last few days. A place that voted 70 odd % leave. 

Not BBC Brexit propaganda though. No way. 

It’s so obvious. Real balance would be to have a reporter based there and then another one based in the town/city that voted the most for Remain.

They don’t balance these days though, they are driven by the same agenda as most media outlets.

Sky News is actually more balanced these days, which is crazy.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Brownie said:

Sky News is actually more balanced these days, which is crazy.

Your not the first person to say that on here over the last few weeks. I thought my hatred of the BBC was so bad that it was clouding my judgement as there was no way sky news was a better option but for fuck knows how long now I've spent more and more time watching sky news. 

The licence fee would be more at home in a country ruled by a dictatorship.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Fucking hell they're beyond a joke now

Maybe Corbyn needs to smirk more when he's called an anti-Semite on a daily basis

BBC apologises after Andrew Marr suggested Priti Patel was 'laughing'

The BBC has apologised after Andrew Marr accused Priti Patel of laughing during an interview about Brexit.

While discussing the subject with the home secretary on his Sunday morning politics show on 13 October, Marr said: "I can't see why you're laughing."

Patel appeared to ignore his comment and continued with her answer.

The corporation received 222 complaints and now accepts Patel was not "smiling" but displaying her "natural expression".

During the interview, Marr read out a list of industry bodies who had expressed concern about the impact Brexit would have on their businesses.

Patel, who was appearing via video link, did not speak as Marr then recited a letter one group had sent to the government, but her facial expressions prompted him to suggest she was laughing.

In a statement, the BBC wrote: "Guests who appear on the Andrew Marr show expect robust interviewing that includes back and forth between themselves and Mr Marr.

"Andrew Marr commented on Priti Patel laughing after he glanced up while reading a list of business leaders concerned about the impact of Brexit on their industries.

"He thought he saw the home secretary smile but now accepts this was in fact her natural expression and wasn't indicating amusement at his line of questioning."

The statement concluded: "There was no intention to cause offence and we are sorry if viewers felt this to be the case."

The Daily Mail quoted a source close to the home secretary as saying: "Priti is grateful to Andrew for correcting his mistake and looks forward to appearing on his show in future."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50150993

Guest Pistonbroke
On 27/09/2019 at 21:40, Dougie Do'ins said:

Your not the first person to say that on here over the last few weeks. I thought my hatred of the BBC was so bad that it was clouding my judgement as there was no way sky news was a better option but for fuck knows how long now I've spent more and more time watching sky news. 

The licence fee would be more at home in a country ruled by a dictatorship.

The BBC just lick the arse of the incumbent Gov't because they are desperate to hold onto the cash via the licensing. Take a way a few decent shows/documentaries and they are literally shite, plus they peddle these shows Worldwide and make a further fortune. Most of their decent stuff finds its way to Netflix and other streaming sites these days. Mind you, with Britbox that will probably change. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

The BBC just lick the arse of the incumbent Gov't because they are desperate to hold onto the cash via the licensing. Take a way a few decent shows/documentaries and they are literally shite, plus they peddle these shows Worldwide and make a further fortune. Most of their decent stuff finds its way to Netflix and other streaming sites these days. Mind you, with Britbox that will probably change. 

There was a time when I'd agree with that but now it just seems on another level.

• Upvote 1