You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

3 hours ago, rb14 said:

I will dance on the BBC's grave like I dance on Thatcher's. A disaster of an organisation run by lunatics intent on pumping out drivel. What a shame. It should never have been like this. 

I think the nadir was reached over Christmas with that execrable new version of Around the World in 80 Days. Passepartout has become black, and Detective Fix is now an incongruous woman journalist accompanying Phileas Fogg on his travels rather than a male detective ruthlessly pursuing him. If gutting Jules Verne's classic like this could be dramatically justified, then fair enough, but it's instantly apparent that it's just somebody ticking boxes. You know an executive somewhere has said: we need to make a new version of Eighty Days, but there's too many white men in it. And then tried to make it "relevant" for a modern audience. Except the modern audience couldn't give a toss, they're watching Squid Game and Ted Lasso.

This is the rut the BBC seems to have got itself into, making guff designed by committee that tries to satisfy everybody and ends up satisfying nobody.

And yet occasionally they still manage to make something excellent. Jimmy McGovern's Time being a recent example. Probably because nobody at the BBC dared interfere with McGovern's vision.

29 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

The BBC had very little to do with the production of that show.

Yes, it was a co-production with a whole bunch of other European public service broadcasters. Which I suppose shows that this disorder isn't restricted to the BBC alone.

19 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I always think applauding the demise of the BBC because you don't like some shows is like cheering on global warming because you think winters are too cold. 

I think applauding the demise of the BBC because I don't like 99.99% of its output is totally understandable. Especially when I'm forced to pay £320 a year to support it. 

47 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Fair enough. You could always get rid of your aerial and just stream stuff.

Erm, no. The requirement to have a TV license has nothing to do with an aerial

"If you’re watching live TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence:

• if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV service
  • for all channels, not just the BBC
  • if you record a programme and watch it later
  • if you watch a programme on a delay
  • to watch or record repeats
  • to watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channels
  • to watch live programmes on Red Button services

even if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services."

It goes on:

"It doesn’t matter what device you use. If you watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer, you need to be covered by a TV Licence."

Think that's mad?

"If you’re watching away from your home on a phone, tablet or laptop, and:

• you plug your device into the mains, you’ll be covered if that property already has a TV Licence (e.g. you go to a friend’s house and they have a licence). Otherwise, you’ll need to buy a separate TV Licence for that property.
  • your device is not plugged in (i.e. you’re watching or recording live TV programmes on any channel, or downloading or watching BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer, using devices powered solely by internal batteries) you will be covered by your home TV Licence."

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I always think applauding the demise of the BBC because you don't like some shows is like cheering on global warming because you think winters are too cold. 

Personally I've got bit contempt for a channel which has produced utter dross like fawlty towers,blackadder,line of duty,only fools and horses,boys from the blackstuff,the office, dectotorists,this country,people  just do nothing,fleabag,peaky blinders etc 

Give me ch 5 any day of the werk.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Erm, no. The requirement to have a TV license has nothing to do with an aerial

"If you’re watching live TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence:

• if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV service
  • for all channels, not just the BBC
  • if you record a programme and watch it later
  • if you watch a programme on a delay
  • to watch or record repeats
  • to watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channels
  • to watch live programmes on Red Button services

even if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services."

It goes on:

"It doesn’t matter what device you use. If you watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer, you need to be covered by a TV Licence."

Think that's mad?

"If you’re watching away from your home on a phone, tablet or laptop, and:

• you plug your device into the mains, you’ll be covered if that property already has a TV Licence (e.g. you go to a friend’s house and they have a licence). Otherwise, you’ll need to buy a separate TV Licence for that property.
  • your device is not plugged in (i.e. you’re watching or recording live TV programmes on any channel, or downloading or watching BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer, using devices powered solely by internal batteries) you will be covered by your home TV Licence."

Interesting. They've obviously closed those loopholes since last I checked. Back when streaming was first taking off I knew a bunch of people who were ditching their aerials and not paying the licence fee. I guess the difference now is you can stream stuff live.

22 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Personally I've got bit contempt for a channel which has produced utter dross like fawlty towers,blackadder,line of duty,only fools and horses,boys from the blackstuff,the office, dectotorists,this country,people  just do nothing,fleabag,peaky blinders etc 

Give me ch 5 any day of the werk.

The problem is that this stuff was 40 odd years ago.

• Upvote 1

The licence fee is an anachronism. It really is as simple as that. You currently pay a licence fee under the auspices of watching any tv channels excepting the exclusions, but, the money goes to the BBC.

It's time to end it. Ive no truck with the people who say they dont want to watch BBC so dont pay the licence but continue to watch the BBC's output directly.

I really dont get what the beef is about. If it's a subscription service, you pay to watch it. Your choice.

If you dont want to watch it, you should not have to pay. It's nothing to do with thinking the BBC is shit or not or, not impartial or balanced etc.

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The licence fee is an anachronism. It really is as simple as that. You currently pay a licence fee under the auspices of watching any tv channels excepting the exclusions, but, the money goes to the BBC.

It's time to end it. Ive no truck with the people who say they dont want to watch BBC so dont pay the licence but continue to watch the BBC's output directly.

I really dont get what the beef is about. If it's a subscription service, you pay to watch it. Your choice.

If you dont want to watch it, you should not have to pay. It's nothing to do with thinking the BBC is shit or not or, not impartial or balanced etc.

Take YouTube. I voluntarily donate to some of the channels I regularly watch. Happily. 

And apps on me moby. I want to try them out and if I use them, and they offer good service and support, I pay. Happily. 

I'd even consider paying for some of the BBC's output. Happily. Although I'm struggling to think of anything. I'd pay not to have to watch that Michael McTwat doing that Wheel thing. What an absolute, utter disgrace. And I'll happily pay never to hear TwAttenborough's voice again. 

The Tories want to get rid as they see it as too far left, the left want to get rid as they see it as too far to the right. Maybe they’ve got it about right?  

If you complain that the print media is biased wait till Murdoch controls all the news output on the telly. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The Tories want to get rid as they see it as too far left, the left want to get rid as they see it as too far to the right. Maybe they’ve got it about right?  

If you complain that the print media is biased wait till Murdoch controls all the news output on the telly. 

Traditionally, the comedy and satirical output has been left wing, but at the moment, the news and current affairs certainly isn't.

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The Tories want to get rid as they see it as too far left, the left want to get rid as they see it as too far to the right.

Whereas I just want them to stop hiring journalists who idolise Hitler and libel Jewish kids.

1 hour ago, rb14 said:

Take YouTube. I voluntarily donate to some of the channels I regularly watch. Happily. 

And apps on me moby. I want to try them out and if I use them, and they offer good service and support, I pay. Happily. 

I'd even consider paying for some of the BBC's output. Happily. Although I'm struggling to think of anything. I'd pay not to have to watch that Michael McTwat doing that Wheel thing. What an absolute, utter disgrace. And I'll happily pay never to hear TwAttenborough's voice again. 

Like I said, if it's subscription based, people pay if they want to view the programmes produced by or just transmitted on the BBC that they like. If people are still watching BBC output in their droves and if the BBC is still selling it overseas, it'll still have a very large income.

I find it strange people talk about BBC's impartiality when it is beholden on Government to 1, keep the licence fee and 2, seek regular increases to said licence free.

I think the link between ending the licence fee and stop funding the NHS is extremely tenuous, to be honest. Im not working and no longer pay income tax and NI so arent directly funding the NHS any more. That doesnt equate to me wanting funding of the NHS to end.