Quantcast
The BBC - Page 50 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Dougie Do'ins

The BBC

Tremendous. I went to an open recruitment event there once and a producer told me one of their staff 'was the son of a docker'. Seemingly being a scouser I must too have had some links to the docks, and that it should be no barrier.

Ey6xpKgWUAE682p.jpeg

I'm sure the conversation wasn't set up to get her to say something like that and I'm certain her words haven't been taken out of context, I'm also absolutely certain that the rest of her interview is as 'woke' as the headlines suggest. Cunts. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm sure the conversation wasn't set up to get her to say something like that and I'm certain her words haven't been taken out of context, I'm also absolutely certain that the rest of her interview is as 'woke' as the headlines suggest. Cunts. 

Nah it's legit, all the papers are carrying the same story.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/idris-elbas-luther-lacks-authenticity-23910338

You only have to watch Eastenders or, to be fair, corry, to see how heavy handed telly types are with ethnic characters. The black fellas over 50 always drink rum and are always related to a wide boy. Because that's how black people roll. The Asian family own a curry house. If there was a Jewish family in there they'd almost certainly own a bank.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/idris-elbas-luther-lacks-authenticity-23910338

You only have to watch Eastenders or, to be fair, corry, to see how heavy handed telly types are with ethnic characters. The black fellas over 50 always drink rum and are always related to a wide boy. Because that's how black people roll. The Asian family own a curry house. If there was a Jewish family in there they'd almost certainly own a bank.

One of the script editors was on the radio earlier. The character wasn’t written as being black, just the best actor available got the part.  

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Surely having all Asians owning curry houses etc is the sort of stereotype they are trying to get away from. 

Not all scousers are funny or car thieves and what not.

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The lad from the black family on Corrie has just had to have a DNA test to find out if his dad was actually his dad.

Pretty sure they had a similar plot about disputed parentage with the black family on Eastenders (the Truemans?). The writers must believe that black women are passing themselves around like party favours.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The lad from the black family on Corrie has just had to have a DNA test to find out if his dad was actually his dad.

Pretty sure they had a similar plot about disputed parentage with the black family on Eastenders (the Truemans?). The writers must believe that black women are passing themselves around like party favours.

At least fathers are present in these scenarios, unlike the GCSE textbooks kids are exposed to...

textbook-640x360.jpg

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

At least fathers are present in these scenarios, unlike the GCSE textbooks kids are exposed to...

textbook-640x360.jpg

I’ve just done a cursory Google on that.  There seems to be a bit of research on it. 

20 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve just done a cursory Google on that.  There seems to be a bit of research on it. 

Yeah, it’s the phrasing that’s all wrong.

Statistically ‘they’ are more likely, but with everything context is key. Black families are also most likely not to be married but live together, the reasons for this are varied. Black fathers do tend to have regular contact with children and financially support them when separated statistically. Then we have that not all black folk are a homogeneous whole and have very different lived and cultural experiences.

Its just a very, very clumsy way of presenting an argument that leans in to negative racist stereotypes and should never have made copy, let alone print.

The book company involved also refused to give refunds.

4 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

No woman could ever have come up with the idea of Reggae Reggae Sauce. Swings and roundabouts. 

I thought he said his gran invented it? Although Levi Roots' bio does regrettably reinforce some stereotypes mentioned on this page:

When he appeared on BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs Roots revealed that his relationship with his father had been a difficult one, because his father was "a bit of a stranger." He said: "My brothers and sisters all went to school before they left Jamaica but, being the youngest, I never got any education while I was there. I think that I was a bit of a disappointment to him.” Roots has eight children with seven different mothers.

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I thought he said his gran invented it? Although Levi Roots' bio does regrettably reinforce some stereotypes mentioned on this page:

My dad had seven by four and he didn’t invent shit, the useless fucking lay about.

2 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Surely having all Asians owning curry houses etc is the sort of stereotype they are trying to get away from. 

Not all scousers are funny or car thieves and what not.

That's the thing though, because most producers are probably middle class and white, they view ethnic minorities and working class folks as though they're in a menagerie. There's a dire TV show called Ackley Bridge set "up north" where two schoolgirls hang out on a sofa on top of a skip.

Working class people like chips, black people get sickle cell, oriental people do kung fu.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

She’s probably not even his gran. Or something. 

Archaeologist Neil Oliver is the latest BBC presenter to join GB News, which is kind of surprising as I thought the BBC was full of lefties....?

Let’s hope his career is now in ruins 

Breaking... Hugh Grant bought a custard slice in Somerset..and I'm not joking.. I should add he also bought a cup of coffee..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-56746279

He was in Frome, never been there myself...

Sorry, the article says he also bought a bacon roll. 

Edited by Gnasher

Small example of the BBC helping spread right wing newspaper lies. 

Journalists actually do the work of journalists and uncover the Greenhill/Cameron/lobbying scandal. 

Daily mail goes on a McCarthy style witch-hunt and excuses civil service. Prints cartoon picture of civil service mole with Russian emblem on head. 

Journalists who broke story state the Mail story is false and laughable. BBC Andrew Marr show run with false story regardless..

Carrying on from the above slur on the lobbying scandal. Why would it "be intresting" if it is not true? as Marr says. 

What's intresting about it? Why not ask the journalist/journalists who wrote the story?