You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

All part of the plan, be carful what you wish for....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/08/us-chaos-britain-fox-news-trump-presidency

Yet to break his silence is Rupert Murdoch, holed up in Oxfordshire and already safely vaccinated, even as his highest-profile Fox news anchor, Tucker Carlson, pushes anti-vax propaganda. But there would never have been a Trump presidency without Fox News, with the channel spending years before his election pushing his birtherism, boomer-bait and belief that the news is really just another TV show whose ratings were his primary obsession. Doubling down on all its worst instincts from the moment Barack Obama was elected, Fox News terrified and radicalised with wild disinformation, creating a post-fact black hole so powerful that even previously mild-mannered rivals got sucked into it.

And here we are. The import of events in Washington this week is many things, but one of those is a cautionary tale about what happens when “news” is entirely unmoored from facts. Hopping between the channels as the drama unfolded, I was struck by how much there is still to treasure in UK TV news. Robert Moore’s truly masterful reporting for ITV from right inside the Capitol was miles better than anything I saw on the US channels, where even CNN seemed locked into the punditry format at the height of the action.

And yet … imagine being the country that is RIGHT NOW deciding to get in on the bonkers newsotainment game. Imagine being the country that has watched the last four years unfold in the US, with its bloodlines so easily traceable to the Fox sensibility, and is nonetheless thinking: let’s have a bit of that. Because that’s us, of course. In the coming months, not one but two anti-impartiality news channels will launch in the UK – GB News, backed by Discovery, and News UK, courtesy of that aforementioned adornment to international life, Rupert Murdoch.

You couldn’t move for commentators explaining after the phone-hacking scandal that Murdoch’s spell was broken. In fact, as numerous events have since proved, Rupert Murdoch’s spell is not remotely broken. He is spello intacto. Shortly after Trump was elected, Murdoch protege Michael Gove was flown to New York to perform an adoring colonoscopy on him – “interview”, as he had it. Gove seemingly described every detail of his visit to Trump’s office, right down to who rode in the lift with him – but never thought to mention that Murdoch sat in on the whole thingaccording to the Financial Times. The public doesn’t like to see how the trick is done, perhaps.

The Trump presidency was arguably the logical result of the type of hyper-partisan disinformation first fostered by Fox News, and the grotesque events of Wednesday were the logical result of a Trump presidency. I wouldn’t be so wishful as to call it the logical end, given that strong rumours persist of a Tucker Carlson presidential run sooner or later. There is always another chapter. As for our next chapter, there will be those wondering after the era-defining events in Washington this week if this is quite the moment for the UK to start chasing this particular Fox. Then again, what’s the worst that could happen?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I think he has considerably more influence than political leaders.

Yeah but its hard to put him above genuine dictators and people who order murder and oppression. His influence could quite easily of caused as much harm but I for one certainly can't quantify it beyond me thinking in a world of truly fucking horrible people he has few peers.

18 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yeah but its hard to put him above genuine dictators and people who order murder and oppression. His influence could quite easily of caused as much harm but I for one certainly can't quantify it beyond me thinking in a world of truly fucking horrible people he has few peers.

They should make a Cunt Top Trumps. 

• 2 weeks later...

The fact she keeps her position and doesn't reign in her bias at all shows you exactly where the BBC lies. Its a Tory ran media company. It lets its talent have opinions but its political and news output is all slanted one way and it calls that balanced, no one gives a shit what Andy Peters thinks about Boris Johnson.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The fact she keeps her position and doesn't reign in her bias at all shows you exactly where the BBC lies. Its a Tory ran media company. It lets its talent have opinions but its political and news output is all slanted one way and it calls that balanced, no one gives a shit what Andy Peters thinks about Boris Johnson.

Not any more mate

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/sep/03/bbc-boss-tim-davie-to-crack-down-on-staff-posting-views-on-social-media

Just now, Rushies tash said:

I'm thinking more like have I got news for you when they allow some comedians to criticise the government briefly, before showing a picture of Jeremy Corbyn slipping on a kippah.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I notice on the 10 o'clock news that government borrowing has now been renamed 'public sector' borrowing, and the national debt (currently over £2 trillion) is now 'public sector' debt. Absolute cunts.

Our Laura again ..Laura who stated on bbc radio four that the governments £20 a week increase to universal benefits claimants was generous,..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-misled-viewers-on-scale-of-national-debt-ckvkcwc7j

Was a time I used to pay my bbc licence fee with a cheery smile, now I feel like smashing down more drugs than Frank Bough then going to the post office and blasting a few rounds from a sawn off shotgun into the ceiling.

14 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Our Laura again ..Laura who stated on bbc radio four that the governments £20 a week increase to universal benefits claimants was generous,..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-misled-viewers-on-scale-of-national-debt-ckvkcwc7j

Was a time I used to pay my bbc licence fee in the with a cheery smile, now I feel like smashing down more drugs than Frank Bough then going to the post office and blasting a few rounds from a sawn off shotgun into the ceiling.

This is one of three, Williamson, Patel and Hancock interviews where they have asked minsters for their resignations...

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1327503/Dan-walker-cut-off-gavin-williamson-school-masks-bbc-breakfast-video?jwsource=cl

It’s under assault, don’t regret what you once had.

They also asked Williamson ‘Why he hadn’t resigned?’ this week at prime time and have been incredibly critical on Today/Newsnight etc.

The ‘right’ are just better at this shit and they are doing a wonderful job.

Its not perfect, but it is a safety net between us and the American system.

Hwr masters voice though is an absolute cunt  and nobody with any sense wouldn’t agree she’s a shill.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This is one of three, Williamson, Patel and Hancock interviews where they have asked minsters for their resignations...

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1327503/Dan-walker-cut-off-gavin-williamson-school-masks-bbc-breakfast-video?jwsource=cl

It’s under assault, don’t regret what you once had.

They also asked Williamson ‘Why he hadn’t resigned?’ this week.

The ‘right’ are just better at this shit and they are doing a wonderful job.

Its not perfect, but it is a safety net between us and the American system.

"Its not perfect" is an understatement. The bbc still try to claim they are impartial and balanced. The new director general has given a 400 thousand pound grant to the conservative party whilst its main political correspondent is little more than a government mouthpiece. 

I think I'd rather the American model and do away with the pretense.

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

"Its not perfect" is an understatement. The bbc still try to claim they are impartial and balanced. The new director general has given a 400 thousand pound grant to the conservative party whilst its main political correspondent is little more than a government mouthpiece. 

I think I'd rather the American model and do away with the pretense.

As with any government they choose their people, where they can.

I’ll repeat, the BBC is under threat because the rich, entitled, connected and in power want it gone, because it stops them going full cunts, not because it serves the proles and wider interests.

Be careful what you wish for.

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

As with any government they choose their people, where they can.

I’ll repeat, the BBC is under threat because the rich, entitled, connected and in power want it gone, because it stops them going full cunts, not because it serves the proles and wider interests.

Be careful what you wish for.

The idea of the bbc is great, and what a functioning society should have - a quality, public service broadcaster.

What the tories have done to the news and politics output would shame North Korea and should not he defended. No-one wants the bbc gone, just impartiality.