Quantcast
The BBC - Page 24 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Dougie Do'ins

The BBC

15 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Aah but what about the likes of my mam (age 76) and dad (age 87) who have never voted Tory?

Knew she was lying to me. 

29 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Aah but what about the likes of my mam (age 76) and dad (age 87) who have never voted Tory?

Yeah I know, it's not fair

19 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Ditto my 81 year old Mum who hates the Tories more than I do.

How many over 75s are earning. Mostly on a shitty pension maybe so what now theyre not allowed a TV unless they pay the BBC. Just sit look at a wall and pray for visitors because they're just above a threshold of being eligible. Costing them too much my arse makes no difference if some old fuckers tune in or not. TV license needs to go if you want to subscribe fine if you don't its scrambled like LFCtv or some shit you don't want. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Universal free TV licence comes to an end for over-75s

The BBC will now means-tests the entitlement with many pensioners said to be feeling "badly let down" by the government.

https://news.sky.com/story/universal-free-tv-licence-comes-to-an-end-for-over-75s-12040277

Have never seen so much aggro about something so relatively trivial, seems in part at least to have been done to paint the beeb as the bogeyman as opposed to George Osborne.

It's means tested though so presumably people living in a 300k bungalow who go on regular cruises will have to fork out 150 quid a year. 

It's mad, quadruple the cost of a university degree or slash the starting salary of a teacher or a copper and nonody gives a fuck, but woe betide anyone who dips their fingers in an old person's pocket. 

If anything It's younger people who should begruge paying the TV licence. At least most old people watch the BBC, with Netflix and Now TV I probably watch an average of one show a week on the beeb, if that.

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

If anything It's younger people who should begruge paying the TV licence. At least most old people watch the BBC, with Netflix and Now TV I probably watch an average of one show a week on the beeb, if that.

Nobody should have to pay for a TV licence, especially now that the BBC is part of the Tory propaganda machine.

There's no choice. It's either pay up or else. It should be self sufficient via advertisement revenue or fucked off.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Nobody should have to pay for a TV licence, especially now that the BBC is part of the Tory propaganda machine.

There's no choice. It's either pay up or else. It should be self sufficient via advertisement revenue or fucked off.

In Ireland our National Broadcaster RTE has advertisements but we still have to fork out €160 annually for a tv licence.  They are trying to hike the price up to over 200 yearly. Hasnt happened yet thankfully

Just now, KMD7 said:

In Ireland our National Broadcaster RTE has advertisements but we still have to fork out €160 annually for a tv licence.  They are trying to hike the price up to over 200 yearly. Hasnt happened yet thankfully

Is it used to prop up a right wing government?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Yep. Subscription or ad-based. 

Just now, Jairzinho said:

Is it used to prop up a right wing government?

Not far off it. Very little criticism of our last or current govt

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

It's means tested though so presumably people living in a 300k bungalow who go on regular cruises will have to fork out 150 quid a year. 

It’s not means tested in any traditional sense. You’ll only get it if you get pension credit because you get below £173 per week (the state pension is something like £135/140 per week, so if you have a small works pension of say, £250 per month, you won’t get it. There are going to be loads like that.

30 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

BBC Scotland editor forgets her own mother

Didn't know who she was until I've just searched! John Smith-man's daughter eh?

Maybe she's making the point in relation to Prime Ministers? But you're correct, it's a poor point, not really worth making either!

13 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Yeah, you want me to pay for your pro-brexit channels. You don’t want to miss any of your Tory brexiteer interviews. 

Eh ok