You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

3 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Johnson’s latest child is also now living and breathing propaganda. Cameron’s son on steroids. I know that’s highly tasteless, as it’s still a child that’s died. The subject was shamelessly referenced time and again to deflect criticism of his and his party’s actions towards the NHS though. We all know the same is going to be happening about de Pfeffel’s spell in intensive care and how “Nobody knows better than I the great work our beloved National Health Services does”. His son is going to be the perfect emblem of that.

The child is Cummings blessing from Narnia.

12 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Johnson’s latest child is also now living and breathing propaganda. Cameron’s son on steroids. I know that’s highly tasteless, as it’s still a child that’s died. The subject was shamelessly referenced time and again to deflect criticism of his and his party’s actions towards the NHS though. We all know the same is going to be happening about de Pfeffel’s spell in intensive care and how “Nobody knows better than I the great work our beloved National Health Services does”. His son is going to be the perfect emblem of that.

I think you're being too harsh and cynical there, Ben.

Thanks to the NHS that child gets to have a father, gets to know him, watch how he navigates the tricksy world of modern masculinity and learn what it is to be a man, well, until the inevitable desertion which is the raison d'etre of our dear leader.

Within two years he won't be able to pick the kid out in an identity parade.

As an aside have people noticed how the media have started referring to his latest addition to the great single mothers club as girlfriend and not fiance?

40 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

We've become a country of empty gestures, like the clap for carers on a Thursday. It reminds me of the days after Diana died where everyone tried to outdo each on how much they were seen to care. Same goes for the Poppy appeal, how many, and for how long, can you wear? Don't get to the root of the problem, just a vacuous gesture.

People just don't engage in politics any more.

Spot on that, it's why I can't be arsed with it. 

I don't think for one second there's any conspiracy at the top of the BBC to be favorable to one view and not another, not in a coordinated way. IMO there's a few things at play.

A lot of old school BBC people are rule Britannia through and through, last night at the Proms, union Jacks, queen and country, private schools, latin, all that bollocks. Their views are naturally going to be more attuned with a Tory party than a Corbyn era labour party.

The nature of political "journalism" isn't about getting good quality stories it's about not missing out. If you're in the inner circle the government give you stories to leak, you're not arsed if it's true or not, you just don't want everyone else to get it except you. If you break ranks and do any stories that aren't palatable for downing street the door is closed to you. The absolute nightmare scenario for someone like Kuensberg is for Peston to get an interview with good old borris and she doesn't. 

Then above all that you've also got the financial aspect. The government of the day keeps the lights on, there'll be lots of little empires there all worried about having their corner office taken off them if they rock the boat too much.

• Upvote 1

A more serious report on media influence was a report from Cardiff university of media coverage from the Milliband election  which  looked tight and being a hung parliament but Cameron won outright.

The report (cant find it mo but will.dig it out later if I can) showed that of the top 10 issues the public were interested in the NHS came out at number 1. However in televised media coverage it trailed in at about 8th. The top issue broadcast by the MSM was not evenn in the top 10 at the start of the campaign, a possible Milliband/Sturgeon pact. The bbc admitted after the election ( bit late now guv); that it got its coverage wrong 

33 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The BBC is feeding the country a false sense of perspective, the torys are at a whopping 51% in one poll today. A week when Britain has one of the worst death rates  in the world.

Completely agree with this.  The BBC are very much part of a false "feel good" narrative.  Johnson's stay in hospital has cemented this in the minds of the public. 

12 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think you're being too harsh and cynical there, Ben.

Thanks to the NHS that child gets to have a father, gets to know him, watch how he navigates the tricksy world of modern masculinity and learn what it is to be a man, well, until the inevitable desertion which is the raison d'etre of our dear leader.

Within two years he won't be able to pick the kid out in an identity parade.

As an aside have people noticed how the media have started referring to his latest addition to the great single mothers club as girlfriend and not fiance?

Did you see the line about 2/3’s of the way down the official bbc article on the birth announcement?

‘The baby is Ms Symonds' first child, while Mr Johnson is known to have fathered five’.

8 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Did you see the line about 2/3’s of the way down the official bbc article on the birth announcement?

‘The baby is Ms Symonds' first child, while Mr Johnson is known to have fathered five’.

As bad as Auntie has been during this I thought there was an appropriate amount of shade, as the kids say, thrown.

His wikipedia now says 6 or 7 kids.

In what world is this in anyway in line with the greyrinse brigades version of Conservatism?

To invoke kids speak again, he's a wasteman.

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

As bad as Auntie has been during this I thought there was an appropriate amount of shade, as the kids say, thrown.

In what world is this in anyway in line with the greyrinse brigades version of Conservatism?

“Boris Johnson is the kind of guy who’d don Spider-Man pyjamas and scale a building in order to see less of his kids. Sorry, fewer” will remain the definitive comment on the subject, I suspect.

Its obviously completely redundant to point out the differing tone of news reports if this were a politician from another social class, gender and/or race, but I’ll do so anyway.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I don't think for one second there's any conspiracy at the top of the BBC to be favorable to one view and not another, not in a coordinated way. IMO there's a few things at play.

A lot of old school BBC people are rule Britannia through and through, last night at the Proms, union Jacks, queen and country, private schools, latin, all that bollocks. Their views are naturally going to be more attuned with a Tory party than a Corbyn era labour party.

The nature of political "journalism" isn't about getting good quality stories it's about not missing out. If you're in the inner circle the government give you stories to leak, you're not arsed if it's true or not, you just don't want everyone else to get it except you. If you break ranks and do any stories that aren't palatable for downing street the door is closed to you. The absolute nightmare scenario for someone like Kuensberg is for Peston to get an interview with good old borris and she doesn't. 

Then above all that you've also got the financial aspect. The government of the day keeps the lights on, there'll be lots of little empires there all worried about having their corner office taken off them if they rock the boat too much.

I couldn't disagree more. Heres an article quoting the research from Cardiff university into media coverage of the 2015 election (I cant find the full report, though it was a bit highbrow for me) this article picks at certain bits.

It shines a spotlight on how little the NHS was discussed in that election by tv broadcasters although it was voters number 1 concern. It also comments on how a letter from big business supporting Conservatives, which is hardly news was top item on 3 consecutive news bulletins whilst a letter by 140 doctors slamming the government record on our now media loved nhs was barely deemed worthy of a mention. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/may/15/tv-news-let-the-tories-fight-the-election-coalition-economy-taxation

All the evidence suggests the cards are marked and the scales are weighted.

My experiences over many years suggest that the general idea of the English being a brave nation is totally at odds with the evidence , and that we are quite cowardly in the main with the vast majority desperate to not rock the boat in work or looking after ourselves politically. Too craven to ever question their bosses or stand up for themselves when their rights are undermined or trampled underfoot,  while happy to assume everybody who is underprivileged or financially struggling caused it through their own fault. BBC and the msm only get away with their bullshit because people are happy to ask for seconds.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, redinblack62 said:

I score anything between 10 and 35.....anything after 1990 Im pretty much fucked

Scores tend to be all over the place, they come up with the most obscure musical questions sometimes and if you hear a couple of those in a row it's easy to tune out of it a little bit. 80s onwards I do well, 70s and before can be hit and miss. Obscure stuff from 70s and before, no chance.

55 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The rank and file deranged blue rinse mob love him.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I now I'm going on a bit but when you contrast (as I have) American journalists over our own then you know something is up with the game.

I know the yanks are nuts and trumps a first class loon but compere the ride Trump gets from the press over the pandemic to Johnson.   When you consider both America and Britain are capitalist conservative countries elections are settled by relatively few voters.  At least when America goes through a sky high abnormal death rate they have journalists prepared to and I borrow one of their phrases ,  ' stick it to the man" 

What journalists over here are -sticking it' to Johnson over here? The answer is very few. Remember when a local journalist questioned Johnson about the boy sleeping on a hospital floor? Johnson couldn't hack it, he blushed, blundered and bullshited before putting the reporters phone in his pocket, can you imagine him being grilled by the reporters in the Trump clip above?  I dont think hed deal with it, hes had an easy run and the bbc are largely to blame.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Sorry, but if you're blaming the BBC for people being unable to think for themselves then it doesn't like they have any capacity to digest and understand the news anyway.

Your right, their output shouldn't stop people from thinking for themselves.

I suppose it depends on how you view the BBC. I don't think it's political coverage is as balanced and unbiased as they would have us believe. Gnasher has mentioned a couple of their slight of hand moves that happened in the pre election coverage and there were more too. 

It's not just it's political output I have a problem with. It's the BBC as a whole. I think it needs stripping back and a rebuild done.  

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

My experiences over many years suggest that the general idea of the English being a brave nation is totally at odds with the evidence , and that we are quite cowardly in the main with the vast majority desperate to not rock the boat in work or looking after ourselves politically. Too craven to ever question their bosses or stand up for themselves when their rights are undermined or trampled underfoot,  while happy to assume everybody who is underprivileged or financially struggling caused it through their own fault. BBC and the msm only get away with their bullshit because people are happy to ask for seconds.

A very good comparison on how the country is versus its perception,well played.

Incidentally,the bravest inventions,NHS,the welfare state,free education,came from one of its bravest generations,both actually and figuratively. Can you imagine any kind of NHS or Welfare State being created now?

• Upvote 3

On 30/04/2020 at 13:58, Dougie Do'ins said:

I put another complaint in to the BBC about their reporting, or blatant lack of reporting on their online news website when that Sunday Times story broke.

Their reply.

Dear Mr Do'ins

Thank you for getting in touch.

As part of our comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak, we have provided close scrutiny of the government’s response to the crisis since it began. We have reported in detail the actions they have taken, their positions on various aspects of the story, criticism made against them and their response to this.

We covered the Sunday Times Insight article, and their perceived criticism of the government’s handling of the crisis in our paper reviews. We also questioned Michael Gove, Minister for the Cabinet Office, on the claims made in this report when he appeared on The Andrew Marr Show on 19 April. The wider issues raised in the article, such as allegations from some about Boris Johnson’s lack of involvement at the start of the crisis, are all topics which we have covered.

BBC News always reports independently and impartially. Our coverage is not influenced by the news agenda of other media outlets, but we judge each story based on its own merit.

Your comments have been shared with senior colleagues, and we're grateful you've taken the time to raise your concerns.

Kind regards,

BBC Complaints Team

They really are horrible, snide, disingenuous, patronising, fucking wankers. 

BBC News always reports independently and impartially.

Top, top banter.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Haha. When I first read their replay I actually thought, 'they're taking the piss out of me now'.

They just don't give a fuck.

I probably have more respect for the Daily Express. They're less dishonest about their output.

And the BBC very much is the problem when it comes to elections. You aren't swaying a Daily Mail reader, but the type of people who still have a modicum of trust in and respect for the BBC are often swing voters. 

Their political output is poison. 

• Upvote 1

Fucking hell, Look over there, look over there . What the fuck headline is this?  The bbc ignoring our own death rate (not a mention of us) and concentrate on the Italian deaths.

Britain is the highest in Europe whilst Italy has always had the highest rate of deaths in the EU since the pandemic began so that's hardly breaking news. More bbc british government bullshit.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Fucking hell, Look over there, look over there . What the fuck headline is this?  The bbc ignoring our own death rate (not a mention of us) and concentrate on the Italian deaths.

Britain is still a member of the fucking eu whilst Italy has always had the highest rate of deaths in the EU since the pandemic began so that's hardly breaking news. More bbc british government bullshit.

Although I agree about the BBC, they do love to play on the misery of other countries whilst playing down their own Gov't fuck ups, the UK have officially left the EU already, they ceased being a member on the 31st January 2020. It's just the terms of the departure that need ironing out via the transition period. Surprised at your lack of knowledge, thought you'd have got a tattoo with the date and a pretty UJ on your arm. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Although I agree about the BBC, they do love to play on the misery of other countries whilst playing down their own Gov't fuck ups, the UK have officially left the EU already, they ceased being a member on the 31st January 2020. It's just the terms of the departure that need ironing out via the transition period. Surprised at your lack of knowledge, thought you'd have got a tattoo with the date and a pretty UJ on your arm. 

You're being a little pedantic there, until the terms are thrashed out and the transition period is over in my opinion we've left in name only.

I also think you've missed the point. The bbc is playing on words, like a card player performing a sleight of hand. Italy most deaths in eu screams the headline, which could easily be misinterpreted as italy the most deaths in Europe. A lot of peope just scan through the headlines To also to put it under the breaking news banner when Italy has technically been top of the death charts from day one. It seems a case of our national broadcaster ignoring it's own countries failings whilst simultaneously highlighting someone else's. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You're being a little pedantic there, until the terms are thrashed out and the transition period is over in my opinion we've left in name only.

I'm really not. What part of 'Officially left' is hard to understand? It's a fact, you are just giving an opinion. You've left, get over it. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

I'm really not. What part of 'Officially left' is hard to understand? It's a fact, you are just giving an opinion. You've left, get over it. 

Ok have it your way,  if as you say we've left it seems nothing whatsoever has changed for good or bad so peoples fears and worries were obviously by your own reckoning misplaced.

I'm not going to clog up another thread on it so I'll leave it there.

• Downvote 1