You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

On Daily Politics yesterday we had that right-wing nasty turd Nick Ferrari alongside racist apologist Laura Trott MP today we have Anders Breivik's pin-up girl Melanie Phillips who 7 minutes in was actually blaming Europe for Coronavirus and despite being a rancid Islamophobe the BBC felt she was the best person to have an opinion on anti-Semitism in the Labour Party.

Tommy Robinson was meant to be on tomorrow but he's otherwise engaged

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Stickman said:

On Daily Politics yesterday we had that right-wing nasty turd Nick Ferrari alongside racist apologist Laura Trott MP today we have Anders Breivik's pin-up girl Melanie Phillips who 7 minutes in was actually blaming Europe for Coronavirus and despite being a rancid Islamophobe the BBC felt she was the best person to have an opinion on anti-Semitism in the Labour Party.

Tommy Robinson was meant to be on tomorrow but he's otherwise engaged

Sounds like a fair cross section of political views.

Melanie Phillips Racism Hypocrisy

Today, in their wisdom, the bookers for BBC Politics Live invited Melanie “not just Barking but halfway to Upminster” Phillips to pontificate on the subject of racism, which for all those followers of The Prophet might not be as bad as having Fred West explain the finer points of patio-laying, but they can probably see it in the distance. One has to hope that there was someone from the legal team keeping watch, just in case.

Predictably, she steered well clear of her inclusion in the manifesto of Anders Behring Breivik, and instead laid into the Labour Party, which on an organisational level she declared to be A Very Bad Thing. “I think Keir Starmer’s a very decent guy” she began, to the sound of Labour members rushing to vote for Becky Long Bailey and Lisa Nandy.

There was more. “I’m sure he is going to take measures which are eye-catchingly good in terms of getting rid of people who have not been got rid of”. What, she was asked, about Ms Long Bailey’s response to questioning yesterday? “I mean, she’s just trying to avoid … having gone along with something which she should never have gone along with, and that goes for a lot of Labour Members of Parliament”. Which means what, exactly?

The point I was going to make about Keir Starmer is that, despite the fact that I think he’s going to try to get on top of this particular problem, I don’t think he’s going to succeed”. This is code for “Starmer, if he wins, may find himself smeared as an enabler of anti-Semitism”. But do go on. “Because I think this is a problem that goes very deep, not just in the Labour Party, but throughout progressive politics”. Who is this “progressive politics”?

And she wasn’t finished. “It’s wrapped up in attitudes to Israel. It’s wrapped up with beliefs that what’s being talked about isn’t really anti-Semitism, it’s not really prejudice, it’s simply an attempt to stop criticism of Israel. In other words, even among people of goodwill, there is a very widespread failure to understand quite what this thing is that has come out of the woodwork, and until and unless people are prepared to acknowledge precisely what it is, and acknowledge the enormity of it, and the depth of it, no-one’s going to get on top of it”.

Quite apart from the miraculous convenience here - that she gets to define what “It” is, even if what she is defining - presumably as anti-Semitism - appears to include legitimate criticism of the state of Israel, which the IHRA definition of anti-Semitism allows - a non-trivially sized problem enters. And that problem is with things called facts.

All that evidence which was passed to the Police has resulted in just one person being charged. One. And that one person was no longer member of the Labour Party. As the Guardian has told, five were arrested but “four individuals - three men and a woman - had been told they would face no further action”. In a party of over 500,000 members.

If what Melanie Phillips was talking about “goes very deep”, how come only one person was charged with an offence? After all that evidence was handed over to the Police? After all the hype, if there was such a serious problem, wouldn’t one expect the numbers to be rather more significant than that? It’s almost as if someone was exaggerating.

Not that one could ever accuse Melanie Phillips of such behaviour. Perish the thought!

https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2020/03/melanie-phillips-racism-hypocrisy.html

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, sir roger said:

Wish we had virtual church services when I was in my late teens. To keep my mum happy I had to pretend to go to 12 o'clock mass and sit in the Queen Anne pub for an hour with the Sunday Mirror and a pint.

Haha I remember me mates coming round to ours when they should of been at church, then getting quizzed about who took the service etc. Sometimes we used to watch them going in,  Colly in his ice blue parallels so you can imagine when, we'd be laughing they'd be putting up two sly fingers, we would sometimes go in ourselves to see what was going on,  better times for sure

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Haha I remember me mates coming round to ours when they should of been at church, then getting quizzed about who took the service etc. Sometimes we used to watch them going in,  Colly in his ice blue parallels so you can imagine when, we'd be laughing they'd be putting up two sly fingers, we would sometimes go in ourselves to see what was going on,  better times for sure

Haha. We used to do the same. One of us had to nip in and have a look at who was giving the mass and what colour vestments he was wearing. There,d be severe repercussions if we didn't know the answers.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Haha. We used to do the same. One of us had to nip in and have a look at who was giving the mass and what colour vestments he was wearing. There,d be severe repercussions if we didn't know the answers.

I believe so, I remember me and the mate getting held on our tiptoes by the side of our hair, our Dad's casually talking about going down the Linacre or something while me and the mate looking at each other wincing, still better days though. 

My sister used to go to the mass and then nip into the pub on the way past to give methe newsletter and let me know which priest / what colour vestments he had worn. Was funny one Ash Wednesday when I put a bit of muck on my forehead and my sisters ash had got worn off and she got quizzed as to whether she had been.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I know this was posted in the Coronavirus thread but I thought it needed to go in here too.

If anyone is still in doubt about this fucking cowardly, corrupt corporation than hopefully this will be the eyeopener you need.

People are dropping dead in their fucking hundreds yet the broadcaster that's supposed to be impartial pull a fucking stunt like this.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder why journalists aren’t trusted to hold the Govt to account .

Bear in mind she was the former political editor of Newsnight and was co-presenter of the Andrew Marr show.

Joey D'Urso

@josephmdurso

New: ITV News National Editor Allegra Stratton is leaving to work for Chancellor Rishi Sunak as Director of Strategic Communications at the Treasury, ITV News staff have been told in an email.

And was also involved in this.......

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2012/06/newsnight-allegra-stratton-exposed-shanene-thorpe/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Seems like she should fit right in.....

I see tv journalists and the newspapers are least trusted on the virus by the public so they've got something right. Not surprising when the BBC three main political commentators, Kuenssberg, Robinson and Norman Smith have not as yet mentioned the uk breaking through the official 20.000 deaths mark. All three missed then main political story of last weekend ie the Sunday Times report.

I expect all three Twitter accounts will be working full blast tommow when good ol Boris strides back into town.

The bbc did take the trouble to give the radio 4 thought for the day slot to Dominic Cummings wife the day after he came under fire for sitting in on the science meetings, you'll all be pleased to know she informed the nation hes actually a lovely fella.

https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/2020/04/25/the-propaganda-the-bbc-just-pushed-out-on-dom-cummings-is-staggering/

15 minutes ago, Champ said:

Massive agenda being driven on Today programme this morning about ‘people getting bored of lockdown’ and ‘calls’ to get the country back to work

You listen to that? Last time I had the misfortune to have that on, I almost booted my car radio in.

Nina-Warhurst-Images.jpg

Have got a serious crush on Nina Warhurst. Smart as they come, bolshy, tasty and tweets about normal shit like needing a new Hoover. 

Plus her name sounds like an experimental Nazi superweapon. 

"The allies have landed, deploy the warhurst!" "But mein fuhrer it has not been tested!" 

It'd be a giant V2 rocket but modelled after my knob. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Nina-Warhurst-Images.jpg

Have got a serious crush on Nina Warhurst. Smart as they come, bolshy, tasty and tweets about normal shit like needing a new Hoover. 

Plus her name sounds like an experimental Nazi superweapon. 

"The allies have landed, deploy the warhurst!" "But mein fuhrer it has not been tested!" 

It'd be a giant V2 rocket but modelled after my knob. 

Just followed her on Instagram. Is she a cunt ?