You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

On 19/01/2022 at 17:11, VladimirIlyich said:

Profit for Murdoch and his cronies who replace the BBC with whatever service they offer.

Freeview.

I dont get this argument about Murdoch. Not sure where he's upto with Sky now but clearly he's not bothered about replacing the BBC.

Once it's fully independent, the BBC can do what it wants, be left wing, centre or right wing.

Time to end the anachronism of the licence.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

When did we get ‘I don’t like something therefore it needs destroying’? Was it Brexit?  

Nope, you're wrong again. Been people and politicians who wanted the bbc disbanded for decades, the advent of streaming services and Netflix etc has put extra wind at the back of their sails. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Isn’t your TV Licence pretty much the same as a subscription? Except the fine/prison if you don’t pay it, obvs.

I’d be gutted if I lost Radio 6 or BBC sounds as part of the £14 a month I pay. 

I'm the same.

22 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Nope, you're wrong again. Been people and politicians who wanted the bbc disbanded for decades, the advent of streaming services and Netflix etc has put extra wind at the back of their sails. 

They’ve never been so vocal. I guess it’s a dead cat.  Luckily I doubt it’ll get anywhere. 

54 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Isn’t your TV Licence pretty much the same as a subscription? Except the fine/prison if you don’t pay it, obvs.

I’d be gutted if I lost Radio 6 or BBC sounds as part of the £14 a month I pay. 

Yes and yes but the British Gas Call Centre Manager would rather people be compulsory forced to pay and those who cant afford the licence be fined, pretty much like his whole approach to the energy price crisis is fucked but there you go!

Some people think the BBC wouldnt survive without the fee. But given those who back it, they'll continue watching and pay the fee. The BBC will very likely be able to take on additional sponsorship of programming if it doesnt want to compete for advertising revenue.

People will not miss out either. Freeview and Freesat offer hours of free programming across all genres including different News services for those that dont want to pay for a subscription service or licence fee..

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes and yes but the British Gas Call Centre Manager would rather people be compulsory forced to pay and those who cant afford the licence be fined, pretty much like his whole approach to the energy price crisis is fucked but there you go!

Some people think the BBC wouldnt survive without the fee. But given those who back it, they'll continue watching and pay the fee. The BBC will very likely be able to take on additional sponsorship of programming if it doesnt want to compete for advertising revenue.

People will not miss out either. Freeview and Freesat offer hours of free programming across all genres including different News services for those that dont want to pay for a subscription service or licence fee..

I honestly never thought anyone could be as tedious as PistonBroke but you are fucking close, really fucking close. 

I don’t work for British Gas, I’ve not worked in a call centre for 25 years and if you want me to hand you your arse in the energy thread we can pop over there now. 

The BBC provides the kind of value for money that it’s impossible to find anywhere else.  The shear breadth of output and archive means of you can’t find something you don’t like that’s on you rather than them. It’s the gold standard of TV across the world and the radio output is incredible.   The local radio channels alone provide a hugely valuable service to regions that Netflix and Amazon TV might not be too excited about.  

It’s not perfect, but what is? As I’ve said before the right think it’s lefty and vice versa, it’s doing something right.  

Any pretence that it could continue without the licence fee is naive in the extreme IMO.  Output has already had to drop and will do.  A well funded BBC is something we should all want, it makes the country a better place and it’s the envy of the world.  

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fucking tedious? You need to look in the mirror mate.

Unfortunately, I only see what you post when someone quotes you or it appears to the right of the screen.

Now that's what I call 'tedious.'

See, you’re best fucking insult is ‘no you are’. Fuck me.  You could talk a glass eye to sleep. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Jesus, you think he works in a call centre?  Seriously DS, you’re making a right twat of yourself here.  

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

Jesus, you think he works in a call centre?  Seriously DS, you’re making a right twat of yourself here.  

Fucking hell, seriously? Twas a jest, for fuck's sake. Behave, he's been quite obnoxious in other posts such that he's now on my ignore list because I really cant be bothered. As I said, i only see stuff he posts if others quote him or unfortunately I see his comments at the right of screen.

Ive no wish to engage with him but I'll continue to give my thoughts on Energy Pricing, including Smart Metering £11BN+ roll out with that the cost is being shouldered by consumers.

Funny how he seems to follow almost every post I make about the BBC and Energy Pricing threads.

Anyways, enjoy.

12 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I honestly never thought anyone could be as tedious as PistonBroke but you are fucking close, really fucking close. 

I don’t work for British Gas, I’ve not worked in a call centre for 25 years and if you want me to hand you your arse in the energy thread we can pop over there now. 

The BBC provides the kind of value for money that it’s impossible to find anywhere else.  The shear breadth of output and archive means of you can’t find something you don’t like that’s on you rather than them. It’s the gold standard of TV across the world and the radio output is incredible.   The local radio channels alone provide a hugely valuable service to regions that Netflix and Amazon TV might not be too excited about.  

It’s not perfect, but what is? As I’ve said before the right think it’s lefty and vice versa, it’s doing something right.  

Any pretence that it could continue without the licence fee is naive in the extreme IMO.  Output has already had to drop and will do.  A well funded BBC is something we should all want, it makes the country a better place and it’s the envy of the world.  

I was with you till you went all Liz Truss at the end there. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Absolutely spot on.

They have to cater to everyone ,therefore it's no surprise there is a certain degree of shite.

I read somewhere they make something like 1000 hrs of tele a week.

If you look back over the greatest programmes ever made,the overwhelmingly majority would be bbc productions.

Its a classic case of not missing something till it's gone.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The easiest 'alternative' is for the BBC to show adverts and gain revenue that way but that's not enough for the cunts who want it gone. There is rarely any compromise from their agenda.

Apparently that wouldnt be enough.

It's a shrinking market and the likes of ITV,ch 4 etc wouldn't be happy.

You only need to look the people who want it gone, Murdoch, the mail,Tories, to make an informed choice on where to sit on the debate

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Apparently that wouldnt be enough.

It's a shrinking market and the likes of ITV,ch 4 etc wouldn't be happy.

You only need to look the people who want it gone, Murdoch, the mail,Tories, to make an informed choice on where to sit on the debate

Im not sure a majority of those who think the licence fee is an anachronism want the BBC 'gone.' They want the choice of not paying or paying directly for it.

I want the choice of not paying and not being illegal to watch tv. I dont hold with people who say they dont want to pay but watch tv as normal.

We only watch 2 BBC programmes, well 1 actually and that's the Repair Shop. The other programme is BBC North East regional news. Would I pay a subscription or a fee per programme to continue watching? Repair Shop, yes, NE Regional news, probably not.