You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

12 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Nadine Dorris is a fucking idiot, if she hates the BBC then any righted minded person should support Auntie by default.

No good will come of this.

She's from the Patel school, that horrible mix of arrogant and thick as fuck.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, stringvest said:

There's only one news organisation in this country that has a remit to be impartial.  Whatever your thoughts on this, and whatever individual examples you can present, by and large the BBC meets that remit.  There are loads of non-Tory privately educated people in positions of influence in the BBC.  Once the BBC goes, the dumbing down of news will accelerate, the cynical drive to ignorance and malign influence will be unstoppable.  We'll miss serious investigative journalism, programmes supported by proper research and governance, Radio 4, non-populist entertainment and informational programming, fantastic educational programming for children and adults, community and huge opportunities for homegrown talent.  This will all get replaced by idiot box television as seen in shite like 'reality' TV, cheap as chips and non-attributable/accountable 'documentaries', bollocks like Prison Break.  It's a fucking grim picture, and just like the ignorant fucks that keep Johnson in power, those happy with this travesty deserve everything they get.

"They're are loads of non tory non privately educated people in positions of influence in the bbc"

Really? Who? Well where the fuck are they?

I've heard ex BBC Director General Lord Michael Gove doing the media rounds supporting the government but little in the way of defence of the bbc from anyone from the the board or the beebs journalistic branch, it tells its own story that the most vocal defender of the bbc against this Naddine Dorris announcement has been Gary Lineker, and he presents match of the day.

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

"They're are loads of non tory non privately educated people in positions of influence in the bbc"

Really? Who? Well where the fuck are they?

I've heard ex BBC Director General Lord Michael Gove doing the media rounds supporting the government but little in the way of defence of the bbc from anyone from the the board or the beebs journalistic branch, it tells its own story that the most vocal defender of the bbc against this Naddine Dorris announcement has been Gary Lineker, and he presents match of the day.

Michael Gove?  Anyway, there are news presenters and editors on the big programmes that would have nothing to do with Tories.  the BBC have to report the potential ruin of the BBC like the impartial organisation it is.  You're getting news journalists mixed up with opinion writers, and even they would find it difficult or impossible to write a piece on this subject.

22 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Michael Gove?  Anyway, there are news presenters and editors on the big programmes that would have nothing to do with Tories.  the BBC have to report the potential ruin of the BBC like the impartial organisation it is.  You're getting news journalists mixed up with opinion writers, and even they would find it difficult or impossible to write a piece on this subject.

Sorry meant Lord Grade.. anyway just said on the bbc 6 o'clock news the board have met today in response to the Dorris announcement.. I hope they fight it tooth and nail but if you look at who the board consists of I'll wait and see.

Ironically, the war on the BBC started when Uncle Tone forced Greg Dyke out. The BBC board bent that day when it should have stood up to government pressure.

That opened the door for everything that has happened since. The Tories must have loved him for it.

11 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's more a case of the right's media backers wanting their market share, it's purely a business move I imagine.

Sure, I get the reason why the media barons, who then instruct their papers and politicians to do their work, want rid of the Beeb. I'm thinking more of the common-or-garden flag-shagging saps who have been conditioned by the right wing papers and politicians to believe Broadcasting House is full of cultural Marxists because a black actor appeared in an episode of Poldark or some shit.

I realise I've answered my own question there.

3 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Nadine Dorris is a fucking idiot, if she hates the BBC then any righted minded person should support Auntie by default.

No good will come of this.

Apparently they are worried about the effect on the poor..which after all,has always been their no 1 priority.

3 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Apparently they are worried about the effect on the poor..which after all,has always been their no 1 priority.

Yeah, inflation rates and energy prices shooting up, but we'll be saving a fiver a household a year on the licence fee freeze.

I imagine they'll announce this as the centrpiece of their levelling up programme. That and the penny tax cut on the price of a pint. Cheers Rishi. 

Just now, Jack the Sipper said:

Yeah, inflation rates and energy prices shooting up, but we'll be saving a fiver a household a year on the licence fee freeze.

I imagine they'll announce this as the centrpiece of their levelling up programme. That and the penny tax cut on the price of a pint. Cheers Rishi. 

This is what I don't get- we save absolutely fuck all, and the BBC loses a lot of money that it could use to make better TV. And the Mail-reading bellends think this is somehow a win.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Thought most on here would be glad to be rid of it, lost count of the amount of posts deriding it for Conservative subservience. As with most things in life be careful what you wish for.

Precisely.  There are enough people in positions of power that think it's anti-Tory to actually get it closed down unless the public stand up for it.

The BBC. The fucking BBC. Its demise can not come quickly enough. It shouldn't be shite. It should be excellence epitomised. But it isn't. It hasn't been for a very very long time. 

A watchable programme on the BBC is like catching sight of a kingfisher in the wild; once in a blue moon and then you'll not see another for a couple of years or more. The BBC would make a programme an hour long about that magnificent bolt-of-electricity kingfisher by having a five minute introduction about what we're about to watch, then oh my jesus, not AGAIN, David fucking Attenborough drone on interminably for twenty minutes, mostly about how we are destroying its environment, then thirty minutes of self-congratulatory "how we made the programme" bollocks. I DON'T FUCKING CARE YOU TWATS; I tuned in to learn about the Kingfisher, not some fucking film crew. And then the obligatory five minutes of what we're going to see in the next programme. It's shite. All of it. ESPECIALLY the David fucking Attenborough bit. If it's not that twat, it's that grinny astronomy fucktard. 

I accidentally caught sight of some shite at the weekend. The Wheel or something. Michael McTwat was the host. Host. HOST. Really? I've rarely witnessed anything so lamentable. Banal doesn't begin to get close. Jo Brand and Richard E Grant. Why? Please. Why. 

The two programmes we would occasionally watch were Gardeners' World and Antiques Roadshow. They were already poor, and have deteriorated still further. We now do perhaps 20 minutes of AR on catchup once a month. That's more than enough. 

Since the extraordinary, sublime W1A, I can remember only two or three kingfisher-in-the-wild programmes. Each comprised little or no narration, or indeed music. One was about somewhere in wilds of remote Britain and might have been about a red kite or similar bird of prey. The other was possibly about Skiddaw. The other was about a steam train journey. 

I will dance on the BBC's grave like I dance on Thatcher's. A disaster of an organisation run by lunatics intent on pumping out drivel. What a shame. It should never have been like this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, rb14 said:

The BBC. The fucking BBC. Its demise can not come quickly enough. It shouldn't be shite. It should be excellence epitomised. But it isn't. It hasn't been for a very very long time. 

A watchable programme on the BBC is like catching sight of a kingfisher in the wild; once in a blue moon and then you'll not see another for a couple of years or more. The BBC would make a programme an hour long about that magnificent bolt-of-electricity kingfisher by having a five minute introduction about what we're about to watch, then oh my jesus, not AGAIN, David fucking Attenborough drone on interminably for twenty minutes, mostly about how we are destroying its environment, then thirty minutes of self-congratulatory "how we made the programme" bollocks. I DON'T FUCKING CARE YOU TWATS; I tuned in to learn about the Kingfisher, not some fucking film crew. And then the obligatory five minutes of what we're going to see in the next programme. It's shite. All of it. ESPECIALLY the David fucking Attenborough bit. If it's not that twat, it's that grinny astronomy fucktard. 

I accidentally caught sight of some shite at the weekend. The Wheel or something. Michael McTwat was the host. Host. HOST. Really? I've rarely witnessed anything so lamentable. Banal doesn't begin to get close. Jo Brand and Richard E Grant. Why? Please. Why. 

The two programmes we would occasionally watch were Gardeners' World and Antiques Roadshow. They were already poor, and have deteriorated still further. We now do perhaps 20 minutes of AR on catchup once a month. That's more than enough. 

Since the extraordinary, sublime W1A, I can remember only two or three kingfisher-in-the-wild programmes. Each comprised little or no narration, or indeed music. One was about somewhere in wilds of remote Britain and might have been about a red kite or similar bird of prey. The other was possibly about Skiddaw. The other was about a steam train journey. 

I will dance on the BBC's grave like I dance on Thatcher's. A disaster of an organisation run by lunatics intent on pumping out drivel. What a shame. It should never have been like this. 

Badger watch was good.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I can live with David Attenborough getting roughed up but dissing Monty Don is KFC straightener territory.

I love Monty, but PLEASE stop telling me your bagged compost is peat-fucking-free. And I love Carol. The programme has seriously deteriorated. Truth hurts.