You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

20 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve just done a cursory Google on that.  There seems to be a bit of research on it. 

Yeah, it’s the phrasing that’s all wrong.

Statistically ‘they’ are more likely, but with everything context is key. Black families are also most likely not to be married but live together, the reasons for this are varied. Black fathers do tend to have regular contact with children and financially support them when separated statistically. Then we have that not all black folk are a homogeneous whole and have very different lived and cultural experiences.

Its just a very, very clumsy way of presenting an argument that leans in to negative racist stereotypes and should never have made copy, let alone print.

The book company involved also refused to give refunds.

4 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

No woman could ever have come up with the idea of Reggae Reggae Sauce. Swings and roundabouts. 

I thought he said his gran invented it? Although Levi Roots' bio does regrettably reinforce some stereotypes mentioned on this page:

When he appeared on BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs Roots revealed that his relationship with his father had been a difficult one, because his father was "a bit of a stranger." He said: "My brothers and sisters all went to school before they left Jamaica but, being the youngest, I never got any education while I was there. I think that I was a bit of a disappointment to him.” Roots has eight children with seven different mothers.

2 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Surely having all Asians owning curry houses etc is the sort of stereotype they are trying to get away from. 

Not all scousers are funny or car thieves and what not.

That's the thing though, because most producers are probably middle class and white, they view ethnic minorities and working class folks as though they're in a menagerie. There's a dire TV show called Ackley Bridge set "up north" where two schoolgirls hang out on a sofa on top of a skip.

Working class people like chips, black people get sickle cell, oriental people do kung fu.

Breaking... Hugh Grant bought a custard slice in Somerset..and I'm not joking.. I should add he also bought a cup of coffee..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-56746279

He was in Frome, never been there myself...

Sorry, the article says he also bought a bacon roll. 

Edited by Gnasher

Small example of the BBC helping spread right wing newspaper lies. 

Journalists actually do the work of journalists and uncover the Greenhill/Cameron/lobbying scandal. 

Daily mail goes on a McCarthy style witch-hunt and excuses civil service. Prints cartoon picture of civil service mole with Russian emblem on head. 

Journalists who broke story state the Mail story is false and laughable. BBC Andrew Marr show run with false story regardless..

11 minutes ago, sir roger said:

If you were looking at a game of ' Cunt bingo ' Robbie would have you shouting house very quickly.

'Gibb has written scathingly of the BBC in recent years, accusing it of having been “culturally captured by the woke-dominated group think of some of its own staff” in a Telegraph article from 2020.

In that same piece, Gibb wrote: “It seems BBC bosses were so fearful of causing offence to woke activists who claimed the song [Rule, Britannia!] was racist, they ended up outraging the vast majority of the public who are proud of their country, its heritage and its traditions.”'

We'll all miss Auntie when she's gone, but the cheering from both sides might drown out the despair which we should be hearing.

• Upvote 1