You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Never mind Boris, Laura is back and after missing/ignoring the 20,000 british hospital death milestone shes now tweeting the boris mantra like a lovesick octopus on speed.

She doesn’t even attempt to hide it. Actually she does but it’s so half arsed she may as well not. 

1 hour ago, Rushies tash said:

You listen to that? Last time I had the misfortune to have that on, I almost booted my car radio in.

I do. It’s an old habit. I like to wake up to the news and don’t know where else to go

Coronavirus: BBC 'needs to make £125m savings this year'

The BBC has said it will have to "think hard about every pound" it spends on new programmes because of financial pressures during the current lockdown.

Delays to a new licence fee regime for people over 75 and problems collecting fees are among the challenges cited.

Staff have been told the BBC will have to find £125m savings this year.

Senior leaders will take a pay freeze until August 2021 and all non-essential recruitment will be put on hold as part of the cost-cutting measures.

Staff will also be invited to work part time or take unpaid leave if they find it "helpful" during the lockdown.

In a briefing on Wednesday, director general Tony Hall said other reasons behind the cash shortfall were a delay to a plan to cut 450 jobs, and uncertainty around commercial revenues.

Other broadcasters have been badly hit during the crisis, with ITV last month cutting its programme budget by £100m and Channel 4 cutting £150m from its programming.

On Wednesday, Channel 4's director of programmes Ian Katz said the broadcaster would have to cut back on drama and produce "lower tariff" shows.

"In the next few months I don't think we will see any new dramas getting up and running," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52474911

I put another complaint in to the BBC about their reporting, or blatant lack of reporting on their online news website when that Sunday Times story broke.

Their reply.

Dear Mr Do'ins

Thank you for getting in touch.

As part of our comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak, we have provided close scrutiny of the government’s response to the crisis since it began. We have reported in detail the actions they have taken, their positions on various aspects of the story, criticism made against them and their response to this.

We covered the Sunday Times Insight article, and their perceived criticism of the government’s handling of the crisis in our paper reviews. We also questioned Michael Gove, Minister for the Cabinet Office, on the claims made in this report when he appeared on The Andrew Marr Show on 19 April. The wider issues raised in the article, such as allegations from some about Boris Johnson’s lack of involvement at the start of the crisis, are all topics which we have covered.

BBC News always reports independently and impartially. Our coverage is not influenced by the news agenda of other media outlets, but we judge each story based on its own merit.

Your comments have been shared with senior colleagues, and we're grateful you've taken the time to raise your concerns.

Kind regards,

BBC Complaints Team

8 minutes ago, redinblack62 said:

Other than Popmaster with Ken Bruce there really is no reason to bother with BBC anymore, TV or Radio

That show is legendary, the questions can range from so easy to obscurely hard. And so far as the Champions League competition is concerned, that just sounds impossible whenever I listen to the questions.

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

That show is legendary, the questions can range from so easy to obscurely hard. And so far as the Champions League competition is concerned, that just sounds impossible whenever I listen to the questions.

I score anything between 10 and 35.....anything after 1990 Im pretty much fucked

Tories up another 4% in latest opinion polls. Unbelievable.

Intresting little thread on veiws of the crisis and our media from the outside. Compere the BBC coverage now to how they reported Italy in early March, they made Italy look like an ill managed disaster zone whereas here the bbc may as well have Kuenssberg riding round seaside towns on a red double decker bus with Cliff Richard singing 'britains all going on a summer holiday" even though we've got a touch of flu.

Another small sleight of hand I've noticed is how the main political BBC journalists rarely tweet on weekends (all time off?) and so miss the main criticism, investigative journalism in the sunday papers, example kuenssberg didnt tweet on three  main bombshells decrying government policy, protection equipment, Johnson missing cobra meetings and Britain exceeding 20.000 deaths, then on the monday tweets the government response amongst other government fluff.  She also failed to raise her corporations own panorama program which was critical of the government.

The bbc has never been fair but I've never known it to be this bad,  or ever this subservient, i dont think they even care about their own journalistic reputation. 

Ryan in faraway Malaysia knows, as it seems do most outside Britain.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Tories up another 4% in latest opinion polls. Unbelievable.

Intresting little thread on veiws of the crisis and our media from the outside. Compere the BBC coverage now to how they reported Italy in early March, they made Italy look like an ill managed disaster zone whereas here the bbc may as well have Kuenssberg riding round seaside towns on a red double decker bus with Cliff Richard singing 'britains all going on a summer holiday" even though we've got a touch of flu.

Another small sleight of hand I've noticed is how the main political BBC journalists rarely tweet on weekends (all time off?) and so miss the main criticism, investigative journalism in the sunday papers, example kuenssberg didnt tweet on three  main bombshells decrying government policy, protection equipment, Johnson missing cobra meetings and Britain exceeding 20.000 deaths, then on the monday tweets the government response amongst other government fluff.  She also failed to raise her corporations own panorama program which was critical of the government.

The bbc has never been fair but I've never known it to be this bad,  or ever this subservient, i dont think they even care about their own journalistic reputation. 

Ryan in faraway Malaysia knows, as it seems do most outside Britain.

This sums up uk coverage, re tweet something a day after it was proved to be false

Laura retweeted the above spoon fed nonsense although not to be outdone heres our Nick 

The sorry state of Brutish journalism.

We've become a country of empty gestures, like the clap for carers on a Thursday. It reminds me of the days after Diana died where everyone tried to outdo each on how much they were seen to care. Same goes for the Poppy appeal, how many, and for how long, can you wear? Don't get to the root of the problem, just a vacuous gesture.

People just don't engage in politics any more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

We've become a country of empty gestures, like the clap for carers on a Thursday. It reminds of the days after Diana died where everyone tried to outdo each on how much they were seen to care. Same goes for the Poppy appeal, how many, and for how long, can you wear? Don't get to the root of the problem, just a vacuous gesture.

People just don't engage in politics any more.

I thought the inflatable ET outside Buckingham Palace was entirely appropriate.

14 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Sorry, but if you're blaming the BBC for people being unable to think for themselves then it doesn't like they have any capacity to digest and understand the news anyway.

The BBC is feeding the country a false sense of perspective, the torys are at a whopping 51% in one poll today. A week when Britain has one of the worst death rates  in the world.

Compere the bbc coverage of the government now to how they reported the news from Italy a month or so ago, compere the questions Kuenssberg easy bowls Johnson compared to the journalist up the page from America questioning Trump.

If the BBC coverage is irrelevant to how the public think why do politicians and spin doctors fight over its coverage?

• Upvote 1

I've thought that England has long been a very conservative country with a deference to posh people and people in power. The Tories are the de facto party of large parts of England and have been for decades. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are different beasts with less reverence to power.

If you honestly think that Kuenssberg is propping up the Tories then I think you should see how the wider electorate thinks as a general rule of thumb. The BBC gets hamstrung by being the national broadcaster where 'neutrality' means it sometimes misses the harder challenges to the government but look, we're one week removed from a Panorama that was deeply critical of government handling of the pandemic and PPE.

I've got better things to do than chase the BBC bias bogeyman. They're far from perfect and they make mistakes. They're not the problem.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I've thought that England has long been a very conservative country with a deference to posh people and people in power. The Tories are the de facto party of large parts of England and have been for decades. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are different beasts with less reverence to power.

If you honestly think that Kuenssberg is propping up the Tories then I think you should see how the wider electorate thinks as a general rule of thumb. The BBC gets hamstrung by being the national broadcaster where 'neutrality' means it sometimes misses the harder challenges to the government but look, we're one week removed from a Panorama that was deeply critical of government handling of the pandemic and PPE.

I've got better things to do than chase the BBC bias bogeyman. They're far from perfect and they make mistakes. They're not the problem.

Not sure I agree, I think they're a massive problem. I give another small example below, sounds innocuous but it's fairly typical of their agenda these days.

With an election coming soon Johnson makes a hash of laying a wreath at the cenotaph, some reports say he appeared drunk. No problem, the bbc simply showed an old clip of him looking more in keeping with the occasion. Think Michael Foots donkey jacket in reverse. The bbc did apologise so another genuine mistake.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50374630

Note how they put the apology in the 'entertainment and arts section and not in the original news section?  Well conjuring is an art I suppose.

May not just be a British thing mind, these high approval ratings during Covid for a government with, to make an art form out of understatement, serious errors on their hands. It’s always been a truism that war is handy electorally for an incumbent prime minister/president. 

This obviously isn’t a war, despite the best efforts of Cunty McCuntface and his mates to endlessly coat their remarks in such terminology, but it shares the fact its both a national and global crisis. I suspect the reaction of most country’s general public would play out much the same way as in war time, globally.

This is obviously not a defence of either the government or the fact their approval ratings are increasing during our greatest national scandal in generations. I find it depressing and sorrowful beyond my ability to articulate it.

• Upvote 1

Johnson’s latest child is also now living and breathing propaganda. Cameron’s son-on-steroids. I know that’s highly tasteless, as it’s still a child that’s died. The subject was shamelessly referenced time and again to deflect criticism of his and his party’s actions towards the NHS though. We all know the same is going to be happening about de Pfeffel’s spell in intensive care and how “Nobody knows better than I the great work our beloved National Health Service does”. His son is going to be the perfect emblem of that.

• Upvote 3