You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

33 minutes ago, Anubis said:

So the BBC’s reward for it’s news department being compliant little Tory rabbits is that it will be whacked with a big stick. 

So they may have well have just been neutral instead. Typical tories,make use of you and throw you away. The bosses will walk away with a nice golden handshake given that most will be tories anyway. 

23 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Meanwhile Johnson's aides also turned their fire on highly-paid BBC stars who made huge sums from outside work, suggesting they should be forced to donate the money to charity.

"It's an outrage that people who make their profile at public expense should seek to give themselves further financial rewards and personal gain," one source told the paper.

"They're basically making their names on the taxpayer and cashing in. The BBC should immediately halt this practice and give the money to good causes."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/no-10-warns-the-bbc-that-the-tv-licence-fee-is-facing-the-axe-1-6516898

Are you fucking shitting me? 

I’m expecting all ministers and MP’s to donate their earnings from outside parliament to be donated to charity as well. 

Fucking cunts. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

I know it has its black sheep- Jimmy Savile, Rolf Harris.... Fiona Bruce.

I pretty much don't use anything he mentioned there as to why the BBC is 'great.' It was,but now its shite. If they scrapped the licence fee and showed adverts like every other channel on the planet,wouldn't that work just as well?

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I pretty much don't use anything he mentioned there as to why the BBC is 'great.' It was,but now its shite. If they scrapped the licence fee and showed adverts like every other channel on the planet,wouldn't that work just as well?

Not really, they'd just end up chasing ratings to maximise the ad income, so you'd end up with even more crap. Personally, I'd rather it was just funded out of general taxation rather than have a flat licence fee, and also be completely independent, so it didn't get stuffed with Tory wonks keen to bring it to heel or bullied by the government like over David Kelly.

Guest Pistonbroke

In today's technical climate it would be easy to scramble/encrypt the channel and people should have the choice to pay or not. Any decent stuff is sold to hundreds of channels worldwide or ends up on streaming services. The cunts must be coining it in alongside the licence fees. 

Leaving aside the idea that marketing budgets are capable of growing to meet the funding needs of the BBC when all evidence shows that they're stagnant or shrinking, where do the "BBC can be funded by ads" lot think that advertising money ultimately comes from? You'll still be paying for the BBC, except it'll be an inferior service and you'll have to sit through shitty adverts.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Leaving aside the idea that marketing budgets are capable of growing to meet the funding needs of the BBC when all evidence shows that they're stagnant or shrinking, where do the "BBC can be funded by ads" lot think that advertising money ultimately comes from? You'll still be paying for the BBC, except it'll be an inferior service and you'll have to sit through shitty adverts.

Or, alternatively, I don’t watch it so don’t care about its quality or ads. I think a subscription model would be better, but I don’t really care. I just want to not get it and not be forced to pay for something I don’t want that’s not a necessity. 

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Or, alternatively, I don’t watch it so don’t care about its quality or ads. I think a subscription model would be better, but I don’t really care. I just want to not get it and not be forced to pay for something I don’t want that’s not a necessity. 

This. I can happily live without terrestrial tv,sky tv too but at least I have the choice whether or not I choose to pay for the others or not.

On 11/02/2020 at 21:56, SasaS said:

I probably did. You just read it without context.

I'm sorry if the fact the BBC has been considered the best public broadcaster or thereabouts in the world makes you angry, I would think that'd be a good thing.  

You forgot British universities, according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2017, out of the top 11 universities in Europe (10th place was a tie), 7 were based in the UK.

As someone who has gone back into education as a mature student I'd take any ranking of universities as utter bullshit.

They are run for profit diploma mills. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

As someone who has gone back into education as a mature student I'd take any ranking of universities as utter bullshit.

They are run for profit diploma mills. 

It's really hard work to be an Anglophile on this site.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

It's really hard work to be an Anglophile on this site.

If it helps most of my lecturers aren't British so you could blame the foreigners coming over here teaching our students?

On a serious note, it's a major bone of contention for me. I'm going to be coming out of my studies with an Engineering Masters and will definitely have a very high scoring first. But will be looking at it as meaning absolutely zero. 

Myself and the one other mature student who I am now doing some work with had a project last semester that was worth 25% of that module grade. We then got told what we had done was beyond what most people do as a final year project, all told we probably spent about 10 days on it in total and totally blitzed everyone else.