You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

10 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Must admit views on here never fail to amaze me, most people are usually arguing for the nationalization of a good part of the economy but just about the best publicly funded broadcaster in the world, no, this needs to be funded commercially.  

Who is arguing for nationalisation of a good part of the economy whilst also arguing for the BBC (the 'best publicly funded broadcaster' has little competition, and is outshone by many none publicly funded ones) to become a commercially funded broadcaster? 

4 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Needs fucking off. I’ve grown to hate it. Come on Tories, you’d privatise your Nan if she stood still long enough, sell the BBC to some nefarious outfit for pittance and let the fucker fold into the Sky packages. Fucking shite. 

I thought you meant the snooker at first. 

8 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Who is arguing for nationalisation of a good part of the economy whilst also arguing for the BBC (the 'best publicly funded broadcaster' has little competition, and is outshone by many none publicly funded ones) to become a commercially funded broadcaster? 

Nobody is. I made it all up.

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Surely privatising utilities and the BBC are totally different propositions ?

Having a publicly funded broadcaster like the BBC would be a huge asset for any nation. It's ultimately more important than utilities.   

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Nobody is. I made it all up.

Come on, if you're going to exclaim such a thing about nationalisation of a good part of the economy, surely you can point a finger at somebody. I'm the one recently saying it shouldn't be paid for as part of a flat licence fee. At least most vociferously. As I took flack for saying Corbyn shouldn't have been trying to renationalise industries prior to the election, it can't really be me, so I was wondering who it was.

18 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Come on, if you're going to exclaim such a thing about nationalisation of a good part of the economy, surely you can point a finger at somebody. I'm the one recently saying it shouldn't be paid for as part of a flat licence fee. At least most vociferously. As I took flack for saying Corbyn shouldn't have been trying to renationalise industries prior to the election, it can't really be me, so I was wondering who it was.

Do I really have to go plucking posts from other threads to support a statement that most people on here support nationalization, bigger share of public sector etc?

When it comes to media, where due to changes in technology public funding may actually be the only way of making sure a level of quality and independence can survive in the future, this support is surprisingly lacking.  

• Upvote 1

I don’t back full privatisation, I think that would be a really bad move. Having a neutral public broadcaster with a charter for balance on all sides is incredibly important. I know there are issues with bias at the BBC but that would only get a lot worse if it was privatised imo. 

Saying that, I think the licence fee is too high and funds a lot of unnecessary stuff. I’d back a hybrid model that brought in advertising to the main BBC TV and Radio channels to make them self funding and use the saving to significantly drop the licence fee and then ringfence the licence fee money to pay for the news channels, the website and fund some TV and radio channels aimed at more niche markets. 

Also, the recent move to keep stuff on iPlayer for a year rather than the 30 days it was previously is a good thing. 

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Do I really have to go plucking posts from other threads to support a statement that most people on here support nationalization, bigger share of public sector etc?

No, of course not. I just wanted to know who you meant that want to nationalise a good part of the economy whilst also supporting nationalising the BBC. I can't really see anybody doing that and was interested. 

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

I don’t back full privatisation, I think that would be a really bad move. Having a neutral public broadcaster with a charter for balance on all sides is incredibly important. I know there are issues with bias at the BBC but that would only get a lot worse if it was privatised imo. 

Saying that, I think the licence fee is too high and funds a lot of unnecessary stuff. I’d back a hybrid model that brought in advertising to the main BBC TV and Radio channels to make them self funding and use the saving to significantly drop the licence fee and then ringfence the licence fee money to pay for the news channels, the website and fund some TV and radio channels aimed at more niche markets. 

Also, the recent move to keep stuff on iPlayer for a year rather than the 30 days it was previously is a good thing. 

I do take that point and it could feasibly happen, but I think you can achieve impartiality through independent regulation, at least to the level we have now. There's actually a good shout that it could be more impartial if it was done that way rather than a voice of the government of the day.

53 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

All BBC content should be on there, forever. They keep trying to make people pay for back catalogue stuff, the latest wheeze being this Britbox thing. And my thinking has always been: I've already paid for it once you cheeky bastards.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

All BBC content should be on there, forever. They keep trying to make people pay for back catalogue stuff, the latest wheeze being this Britbox thing. And my thinking has always been: I've already paid for it once you cheeky bastards.

my favourite is when they refer to previously publicly funded BBC TV programmes and footage from decades ago as 'rare'. when they have the decency to actually show stuff again for whatever reason they decide we should be grateful for.

yes, that's because you deliberately hoard it from view you fucking shower of largely nepotistic, absolute cretins.

2 hours ago, thegreatelephant said:

my favourite is when they refer to previously publicly funded BBC TV programmes and footage from decades ago as 'rare'. when they have the decency to actually show stuff again for whatever reason they decide we should be grateful for.

yes, that's because you deliberately hoard it from view you fucking shower of largely nepotistic, absolute cretins.

Some of their stuff is rare though, because they fucking wiped the tapes to save money in the '70s. Peter Cook even offered to buy them new tapes to stop them wiping Not Only But Also, but they went ahead anyway. Vandals.

But yeah, a proper on demand service of all their shows would be great. Channel 4 manage to do it with 4OD, so not sure why the BBC are so stingy.

• Upvote 1

BBC Studios is a British television production and distribution company. It is a commercial arm of the BBC, bringing together the majority of the former BBC Television division's in-house production departments; Comedy, Drama, Entertainment, Music & Events, and Factual.

UKTV is a British multi-channel broadcaster, wholly owned by BBC Studios. It was formed on 1 November 1992 through a joint venture between the BBC and Thames Television. It is one of the United Kingdom's largest television companies. UKTV's channels are available via a digital satellite or cable subscription in the UK and Ireland.

Dave is a British free-to-air television channel owned by UKTV, which is available in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The channel took the name Dave in October 2007, but it had been on air under various identities and formats since October 1998.

Did you follow that? On Dave they show the back catalog of BBC shows and they show adverts. Move all their shit to Dave and fuck off asking us to fund their propaganda shite. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Some truly shocking ignorance on display on these last couple of pages. 

They didn’t lose Top Gear to Amazon at all and Matt LeBlanc doesn’t host it. It’s back and it’s (allegedly) better than ever with Paddy McGuinness and Freddie Flintoff. I saw five minutes of it last night. Paddy McGuinness. 

I don't watch it, never have and never will.

But your post still makes me feel like setting fire to an orphanage.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Matt LeBlanc doesn’t host it

He certainly hosted it last season in 2019. If he no longer hosts it, feel free to insert the new person's name into the 'why do I have to pay for [name] to present it'. I think it's fair to say my argument doesn't rely on it. 

Also, what is a Paddy McGuinness?

10 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

They didn’t lose Top Gear to Amazon at all and Matt LeBlanc doesn’t host it. It’s back and it’s (allegedly) better than ever with Paddy McGuinness and Freddie Flintoff. I saw five minutes of it last night. Paddy McGuinness. 

They'd have been better scrapping it, he's a fucking knob. 

23 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I think the point is that nobody knows because they don't watch it.