You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A view to the future - Harry Wilson

tlw content

While eyes are focused on the fortunes of the first team, it is also worthwhile looking at how our stars of the future are faring in their time away from the club.

Rather than just looking at the statistics, we will be giving the readers a clear insight courtesy of fans who observe their progress on a game to game basis.

In the first of a new series, TLW's Jason Harris caught up with Ollie Wright from @derbycountyblog to check on the progress of the Reds' Welsh Wizard, Harry Wilson...

What was your first impressions of Harry Wilson when he arrived at the club?

He was a really exciting signing for Derby, arriving on a season-long loan at the same time as the Chelsea starlet Mason Mount. We knew that there had been serious competition for his signature, with anyone who was anyone in the Championship bidding for him, so getting him felt like a coup and boosted feelings of optimism for the season ahead, after the arrival of new manager Frank Lampard.

Have you seen steady improvements in his game from the early part of the season to now and if so what are they?

Early in the season, he suffered an injury and that clearly set him back, but he's fit again and the key moment in his season so far came midway through our home game against Sheffield United.

After Craig Bryson was injured, Lampard decided to bring on the attacker Tom Lawrence and shift Wilson from a wide forward role to an advanced central midfield role, alongside Mount. This allowed Wilson to exhibit his energy and willingness to press, as well as his technique.

The Mount-Wilson duo, backed up by the sturdy Tom Huddlestone, was the hub of a Derby side which marched through October in deeply impressive fashion, beating then-leaders Sheffield United, whipping West Brom at the Hawthorns and outclassing Middlesbrough for long spells at the Riverside, before running Chelsea extremely close at Stamford Bridge.

What is the one key aspect of Harry's game that really stands out for you?

The eye-catching thing is clearly his technical quality. You'll know all about his mind-blowing free kick at Old Trafford - his ability to strike a ball is beyond question. He also scored a brilliant goal from range at West Brom and almost bagged a brace of free kicks against Birmingham, netting with one cheeky strike from an implausible angle and then rattling the post with a more straightforward strike.

wilsonfreekick.jpg

In your opinion, what is the one main improvement he can make?

I just think for Harry, it's a case of playing as many games as possible. At the moment, he's playing centre midfield, which may not have been where he expected to play, but he is adapting well to the challenge.

His ability is not in question, now it's a case of proving that he has the resilience to do it consistently throughout what will be a gruelling season.

Is there a performance by Harry that stands out for you so far this season?

The Manchester United goal will live long in the memory, but I think his performance as part of an outstanding team display at the Hawthorns should be picked out as the highlight to date.

This was the game in which the Rams bared their teeth and demonstrated to the Championship that they have what it takes to challenge for promotion - and Wilson was key to the victory, not only scoring a rip-snorter, but also by acting as part of a devilish, high-pressing swarm which harangued the Baggies defence to death.

What (if anything) has he brought to the team that wasn't noticeable to your eye last season?

He's been part of a major overhaul of the squad conducted by Frank Lampard, which has brought considerably more energy, speed and technical quality.

Who does he link up well with in the Derby team?

His partnership in midfield with Mount has been eye-catching on and off the ball, with the duo providing the bullets for striker Jack Marriott and a rotating cast of wide forwards.

What are your thoughts on how Frank Lampard has worked with Harry so far this season?

I think Liverpool will be delighted with how it's going. The ideal situation, for me at least, would be for the Rams to go up and then do a fresh loan to keep Wilson at Pride Park for another season!

The Championship is widely recognised one of the toughest leagues in World Football due to its competitive and attritional nature, do you think the league is perfect for academy graduates to hone their game?

Without question. Last season, Wilson showed he could cut it in the Championship with Hull City, so a move to a club aiming to get promoted to the top flight was the perfect challenge for him this year and he is gaining a hell of a lot from this experience.

View full article

• 2 weeks later...

Surely he'd be a better option off the bench than Lallana (well, when he's for enough to even make the bench), Original or Solanke? Lots of natural talent and could play wide or behind the front three. Looks to have come on at Derby.

I'd bring him back in January if we can. 

Far better option from the bench than half the shit we have for attacking positions. And if we end up in the Europe if the Napoli game goes wrong I'd be giving him them games to see if he is ready for next year. 

I've been moaning for ages we need someone that can shoot from distance to stop teams sitting so deep. The lad has a shot on him

Yeah agree with that....even if it is 'just' the championship fact is he is actually doing the business and that instantly puts him ahead of the likes of Lallana for example.

Get him back and get him in and around the squad - he can help us...he is full of confidence and looks to be developing well.

We are lacking creativity and good attacking back up/players who can come on and make things happen - this lad makes things happen, get him in the squad.

He’s a hugely exciting talent. However, no way would I bring him back in January. He needs to keep playing rather be sitting on our bench or in our U23s.

Apparently the plan is for him to do pre-season with us next summer and then - unless Klopp thinks he can play regularly for us at that stage - go out to a PL club for a season. That would see him return for the 20-21 season at round about the age we target first team signings. 

We finally have a transfer policy and youth policy that seem to work brilliantly in tandem. Let’s not fuck that up for a punt on a short term fix. 

50 minutes ago, Paul said:

He’s a hugely exciting talent. However, no way would I bring him back in January. He needs to keep playing rather be sitting on our bench or in our U23s.

Apparently the plan is for him to do pre-season with us next summer and then - unless Klopp thinks he can play regularly for us at that stage - go out to a PL club for a season. That would see him return for the 20-21 season at round about the age we target first team signings. 

We finally have a transfer policy and youth policy that seem to work brilliantly in tandem. Let’s not fuck that up for a punt on a short term fix. 

He'll be 23 come the start of the 2020/21 season. For my money if he is going to make it here he should be playing for us before that.

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Agree 100% with the first and last paragraph. The things in the second I doubt even Klopp knows at the moment, so I would guess that’s pure speculation.

2 hours ago, Grinch said:

Hopefully he can do at a higher level.  The championship isn’t a standard to be getting excited over.

Its competitive though and he is playing under one of the best attacking midfielders in the last 20 years. I'd keep him there for the whole season and evaluate his level after the summer. Lots of talent there but he could easily get swallowed up in this squad. 

Derby boss Frank Lampard has been speaking about Harry Wilson’s recent form for the Championship promotion hopefuls.

Wilson, 21, joined Derby on a season-long loan deal in the summer from Liverpool after signing a new long-term deal at Anfield, and so far his move is paying dividends for all concerned.

The Wales international has scored eight goals and created two assists in 18 games for Lampard’s men after playing in a range of attacking positions for the Rams this season.

Wilson, who has eight senior caps for Wales, has played in central midfield and out wide, but after being restored to a wide position in recent weeks, Wilson has responded with four goals in his last three games, including a brace on Saturday that sank Swansea.

“He did that (midfield role) well. Different games bring different challenges. I thought Craig Bryson and Mason Mount were good (against Swansea), their energy and their work rate, and then you have Harry with a bit more freedom from a wider position,” said Lampard.

“He still needs to work off the ball, which he did against Swansea.

“He picked up nice positions, smart positions where he could get the ball and turn, hence the two goals.”

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Exciting. If he was playing in the 90s he would’ve been set for that no 10 role, just off the striker.. like Sheringham or Del Piero. 

Could still easy play behind the front man for us in a 4-2-3-1 if Klopp continues with that. 

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Could still easy play behind the front man for us in a 4-2-3-1 if Klopp continues with that. 

I was thinking that, but IMO the reason Klopp plays Bobby there as opposed to Shaqiri is because of his industry. I haven’t seen enough of Wilson to be honest, I’ve really just seen one full game of his against United and just his goals.