You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Any interest in a new boxing prediction league?

Captain Turdseye

I got tired of running these a few years ago. I know Lee tried to take it up but he just didn’t have it in him to replicate the sterling work I’d done in previous years. You’ve either got it or you haven’t, I’m afraid. 

The reasons I got fed up of doing it were the effort that needed putting in to sending PM reminders to everyone and tallying up the scores each week. The old scoring system was effective for separating the wheat from the chaff but it was a ball ache to work out.  

The new forum software means I don’t have to send PM reminders, I can just tag participants in the thread. And if there’s enough interest I’ll try to come up with a much simpler points system. I’ll also try to stick to higher profile fights so you don’t have to be a boxing aficionado to be in with a shout of winning. 

So get your names down in the thread if you’re up for it. 

• Upvote 2

Who have we had in previous years? Off the top of my head...

@Boss

@DimReaper

@El Rojo

@dickie mint

@Remmie

@byrnie

@paddyberger

@loadsoftrophies

@Babb'sBurstNad

@Lee909

@DanDanShaw

@sir roger

@VladimirIlyich

@Fowlers God

I’ve probably missed a few out there. What about regular/semi regular contributors to the boxing threads? 

@Brownie

@J-V

@karl1987

@chrisbonnie

@General Dryness

@Grinch

@belarus

@SammyAftershave

@Aventus

@Captain Howdy

@Jairzinho

@Kevin D

Again, I’ve probably missed a few out there but I can’t be arsed going through the thread more than I already have. 

What do you say boys? Worst case scenario is you finish second last. Still a long, long way in front of perennial loser Fowlers God. 

• Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The point scoring system was fine John? Why change it? Up to you like you're the dude, the man in the chair. 

IIRC the available points on offer for each fight were 15, 12, 10, 8 and -5. It eventually became a pain in the arse going over everyone’s predictions and it was taking me over half an hour tallying them up and double checking them. The new system will be simpler, in multiples of five and I’ll be jibbing the minus scores for picking the losing fighter. 

Yeah I would just make it simple. Even as simple as

3pts win

2 if correct round/points

Just stop the - 5 for being wrong and having to get the correct points decision. The cards are fucked up so much anyway. Without the - 5 it should keep people involved if this miss a week for whatever reason. 

I was thinking along the lines of...

•Predict the winner - 5 points

•Choose between KO and points - If right another 5 points. 

•So maximum of 10 points per fight

•Ditching correct round KO predictions and minus scores. 

For each fight, you’ll score 10, 5 or 0 points. Simple and effective.