You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Farewell gift to Richard Scudamore

JustTosh

19 minutes ago, A_S said:

Could any supporters groups organize a walkout at 5 minutes of the next match to protest? It occurring midway through a live match makes it much harder to ignore. 

A walkout would be great – if it worked. But it won’t. 2-2 in the derby, 5 mins left. Would you leave?  

Supporters of all clubs should unite and do something together though. Something that could work. I.e. every fan at all stadiums turned their back to the ground for a minute shouting shame 5 mins into the match? Or something else the majority would actually do.

17 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

A walkout would be great – if it worked. But it won’t. 2-2 in the derby, 5 mins left. Would you leave?  

Supporters of all clubs should unite and do something together though. Something that could work. I.e. every fan at all stadiums turned their back to the ground for a minute shouting shame 5 mins into the match? Or something else the majority would actually do.

If you keep saying a walkout will never happen then it obviously won't as nobody is prepared to try it. You may be surprised but will never know without trial and error. I never thought I could live without regularly going to the match but I hardly miss it at all as the prices are simply scandalous and the greed abounds with no shame.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If you keep saying a walkout will never happen then it obviously won't as nobody is prepared to try it. You may be surprised but will never know without trial and error. I never thought I could live without regularly going to the match but I hardly miss it at all as the prices are simply scandalous and the greed abounds with no shame.

Sorry mate, I’m just trying to be realistic. Sadly I don’t think it would work. If 10% left 5 mins before the end, it would just look like a normal day with people leaving early. Isn’t it better to do a protest the majority could actually be arsed to join in on?

I'm on the edge myself now and may return my membership card. I mean, if my own club supports this outrage, how can I continue to support my club?

15 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Apparently Huddersfield, Burnley, Palace, Wolves and Leicester have refused. 

Disgraceful from our club to be paying it. 

I’ve got a new found respect for all of those clubs

Except Palace. The shit, Hodgson employing, fake Turdseye, alehouse, Simon Jordan fucking twats. 

• Upvote 1

It's a fucking joke. Ok the guy has helped the clubs become much richer due to agreeing big TV deals, but he's been very well paid every single year of his tenure as boss of the Premier League. He's been getting huge bonuses every year too. And he's got a very nice pension to enjoy for the rest of his life. So why the flying fuck is he getting another £5M on top? It's just outrageous. Don't expect the dicks in charge to understand that.

21 minutes ago, Baltar said:

It's a fucking joke. Ok the guy has helped the clubs become much richer due to agreeing big TV deals, but he's been very well paid every single year of his tenure as boss of the Premier League. He's been getting huge bonuses every year too. And he's got a very nice pension to enjoy for the rest of his life. So why the flying fuck is he getting another £5M on top? It's just outrageous. Don't expect the dicks in charge to understand that.

How can you say that in bold? I’m not saying he did a bad job, but it’s not Scudamore who’s set the price. The market has. If you go abroad and let me live for free in your house for 5 years. You come home to the happy news the value has tripled during the period. Have I done a good job?

2 hours ago, JustTosh said:

How can you say that in bold? I’m not saying he did a bad job, but it’s not Scudamore who’s set the price. The market has. If you go abroad and let me live for free in your house for 5 years. You come home to the happy news the value has tripled during the period. Have I done a good job?

Well - this isn't strictly how it works. The English league was not always the "glamour" league (see: Serie A late '80s - '90s vs Divison 1/ Premier League comparison). It has been packaged as such through specific, targetted branding, whereby a lot of this revenue (1.1 bn I think) is coming from overseas market. This isn't to say that Scudamore is the marketing genius who singularly achieved this, but there's clearly a sense of feeling from the very rich owners that Scudamore's team has made them even richer .. and as with most things the money rises to the man at the top. The more fitting accomplices to your example above would be inert owners who have sat on their asset while revenues have risen irrespective of their own team's performance or style of play (see: Mike Ashley).

The classiest gesture (as someone hinted at on this thread) would have been for Scudamore to turn down the money and donate to a charity. But football is a very unsavoury game now -- has been for years if not decades -- so it shouldnt be unexpected.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

It is even more sickening as far as our club goes with them currently on a blitz of hyperbole about how it is a family, it means more and all these bollocks phrases they have come up with as replacements for words like supporters etc.

At least our club (however reluctantly) now pay the Living Wage.

Half the Premier League don't, but still find money for a massive bung to this cunt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Well - this isn't strictly how it works. The English league was not always the "glamour" league (see: Serie A late '80s - '90s vs Divison 1/ Premier League comparison). It has been packaged as such through specific, targetted branding, whereby a lot of this revenue (1.1 bn I think) is coming from overseas market. This isn't to say that Scudamore is the marketing genius who singularly achieved this, but there's clearly a sense of feeling from the very rich owners that Scudamore's team has made them even richer .. and as with most things the money rises to the man at the top. The more fitting accomplices to your example above would be inert owners who have sat on their asset while revenues have risen irrespective of their own team's performance or style of play (see: Mike Ashley).

The classiest gesture (as someone hinted at on this thread) would have been for Scudamore to turn down the money and donate to a charity. But football is a very unsavoury game now -- has been for years if not decades -- so it shouldnt be unexpected.

Lousy house comparison from me, I agree.

I don’t know the exact numbers but revenue from TV has risen considerably. Let’s say it’s 8 times higher now than it was when Scudamore got the job. If he’d done a poor job, maybe income growth would be only 6x. On the other hand, maybe it could be 10x if he’d done a better job. Who knows? 

Those paying for the TV rights do so because they believe they’ll make money selling it on to TV channels around the world, not because Scudamore’s a genius. Market sets the price.

I’ve no good reason to say Scudamore’s done a bad job, but that’s not what this is about anyway.

The farewell gift is an outrage for so very many reasons. I guess 90% of all supporters feel the same. It feels like being hit to ground by a bully, then after you’re knocked down, he unzips his pants and starts pissing on you.

26 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

At least our club (however reluctantly) now pay the Living Wage.

Half the Premier League don't, but still find money for a massive bung to this cunt.

It is an absolute disgrace that football clubs who pay obscene wages to players, managers etc have the fucking neck to not pay the living wage to the average men and women who work at the clubs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

Peter Moore's looked a pretty sound fella so far.

It's not too late. If he can persuade our owners to make a stand against this provocation, maybe we will? Thin hope they will, but still hope ... or maybe just a dream.

1 minute ago, JustTosh said:

Peter Moore's looked a pretty sound fella so far.

It's not too late. If he can persuade our owners to make a stand against this provocation, maybe we will? Thin hope they will, but still hope ... or maybe just a dream.

I'd be surprised - as a club we are one of the cartel and i can't see club going against the grain on this.

More likely they will say nothing or come up with something to placate and play the PR game like an announcenent of a new charity initiative or some donation to something 

If Leicester's the only club to publicly reject, the foxes should be met with a big round of applause wherever they go.

If we don't take a stand agianst it I'll be ashamed on behalf of our club.

I said earlier it feels like beeing put to ground by a bully who then unzips and pisses on you, It's worse. You realize the bulliy's your own son. Not only totally humiliated but ashamed as weel.

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2018 at 6:05 PM, Doctor Troy said:

What's wrong with an envelope full of pound coins and a card from Clinton's signed by everyone?

It's "only" a fiver from each and every fan going to one Premier League match day.

This means more (money for fellow oligarchs) 

5 hours ago, JustTosh said:

Those paying for the TV rights do so because they believe they’ll make money selling it on to TV channels around the world, not because Scudamore’s a genius. Market sets the price.

Sure - but someone plants that idea in the mind. This is why we have market makers. This is why industry doesn’t run on an unending plateau where everything happens as it did in the past although its always alluring after the fact to imagine that what happened would always have happened. In this industry, Scudamore is the perceived market maker. This is an example of a set of largely billionaire owners compensating the effective “governor” of their association with a very small  % of the unfathomable wealth he has played a part in making.

For United, for arguments sake, this represents less (perhaps half as much) than a weekly wage for Alexis Sanchez. Professional football is an obscene sport presided over at a global level by obscene, corrupt criminals. But tell us something new?