You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Nov 3-5 2018)

tlw content

Cardiff drew the short straw this week and were the first team to face Leicester after the tragedy. Leicester were always going to win this week no matter who they played and Cardiff probably did well to keep it to 1-0.

Lee Probert dropped a bollock when he somehow failed to spot Sol Bamba turning a Vardy shot onto the bar with his hand. Sometimes you know by how vociferous the protests are that you’ve got one wrong. The Leicester players were going nuts and Probert was stood there clearly thinking “ah shit, I must have fucked up there but I can’t give it now”.

It was a bad day all round for the ref, who got dogs abuse after booking the goalscorer Demarai Gray for removing his shirt and revealing a message in tribute to the late chairman. You could see the grimace on the ref’s face when Gray started removing his shirt because he knew what he had to do next.

He could have just said “fuck it” and thrown the rule book out of the window I suppose, but I’m not entirely sure how these things work. If he’s downgraded by the match assessor that might cost him a cup final or a glamour game between the top clubs. I don’t think he deserves the abuse he’s been getting. He wasn’t being a twat about it like some refs might have been, he was just doing his job.

Then again, you can say the same about traffic wardens but I hate those fuckers. So actually yeah, fuck Lee Probert the bad jobsworth goon.

West Ham had a good win on Saturday but they were only playing Burnley so it was to be expected. Burnley have gone from being involved in games with only one or two goals in them to conceding by the bucket load every week. Only Fulham have conceded more than them so far. It’s been quite the fall from grace for them, and they were a mess at the weekend.

Tarkovski turned like the QE2 and was robbed by Arnautovic for the opener. He’s shite him. Just a big yard dog, but for some reason he’s been talked up as being a player. He’s not. He’s a Poundland Harry Maguire.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

About Probert booking Gray, Claude Puel actually summed it up well. He said that his players approached the game in a professional manner, so he had no issue with the ref doing the same in that instance. Regardless of the circumstances, I find it daft that players continue to display slogans, messages and pictures beneath their shirts when they know they could get booked for displaying them.

Probert was obviously in a difficult position. Do the decent thing and get marked down by some anonymous unaccountable PMGOL no-mark. Or follow the letter of the law and risk public opprobrium. Funny how these guys choose to follow the letter of the law in certain instances like this,or the ball being 5mm outside the quadrant at corners, or balls rolling ever so slightly,barely discernible to the naked eye, at free-kicks, but blatantly ignore it when it comes to,say, clear fouls on Mo in the box, or the opposition grabbing 15 yards on a throw-in at Anfield, as happens regularly...... or Ramos throwing an elbow (yet again) in an opponent's face.

Or it could be that Lee Probert is just an appalling referee. I watched him ruin a game in the Championship last year, culminating in him ruling out a goal in order to give that team a penalty, which they then missed. The sad thing is that he's not the worst of the bunch; East, Friend, Mason, Attwell - take your pick.

Another point is the similarity of Morata's first goal for Chelsea to Mane's disallowed goal on Saturday. Difficult to see why one was given and the other not.

• Like 1