You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Red Star Belgrade 2 Liverpool 0 (Oct 6 2018)

tlw content

I've no problem with the Shaqiri decision. I do have a problem with the introduction of powderpuff players like Lallana, Sturridge, and Matip in a European away game. Even against a poor side. But a poor side with enough pride to get stuck in in front of vociferous support.

Did Klopp not see the Napoli game there? Pure Rodgers-does-Europe management last night...

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

I've no problem with the Shaqiri decision. I do have a problem with the introduction of powderpuff players like Lallana, Sturridge, and Matip in a European away game. Even against a poor side. But a poor side with enough pride to get stuck in in front of vociferous support.

Did Klopp not see the Napoli game there? Pure Rodgers-does-Europe management last night...

It shows that we still have work to do on our squad depth when Sturridge and Lallana are still options and Origi is coming on.

23 hours ago, Judge said:

Was going to rep you until I read the Allison comment. My guess is that 9 out of 10 keepers in the CL will stop that shot.

You're right - just saw a view from behind the goal for the first time, and he could have done better. Still doesn't excuse Milner, Wijnaldum and Matip for their failures to prevent the guy even getting a shot in.

• Upvote 1

We look more laboured in possession, but also more composed as we're now able to hold the ball in midfield, it isn't just attack or defence anymore; this is causing unforeseen issues.

The forwards used to start from deeper - because they were needed further back - creating overlapping runs with the fullbacks as we headed up the pitch. Now, with VVD and Gomez, we're more assured in defence, as such the midfield pushes up, and in turn the forwards do the same. We're never breaking at speed, or requiring the forwards to create those partnerships just to get up the field a bit which used to create momentum and space.

Look at the partnerships that were forged last season - Robertson always knew where Mané was, and TAA the same with Salah. Both of those forwards now want to go central far too often, which leaves the fullbacks with the option of either trying to do it all themselves or pass back into a stolid uncreative midfield. I wonder whether both those decisions are tactical though, as Klopp was clearly using Mané in more central positions towards the end of last season, and Salah could well be being indulged due to his goal hunger.

As bad as the midfield have been, they're doing exactly what you'd expect of water carriers. They are what they are. However, the forwards are helping no-one, and acting like they all want to be the main man who can just wait for a great pass and slot the ball into the net. Mané and Salah are both very good players, but were elevated by the team last season, not the other way around.

It's a bit of a catch-22 though, as we all knew the pace of our football was unsustainable last season, with injuries mounting, and we'd lose on off days when we couldn't defend. Now, we look like a team pacing themselves for a marathon, but we'll be lucky to be within touching distance of the leaders come the final straight because of it. 

A player who can break the lines is needed, and a reset of the forwards' mentality. Take Paul Ince's notebook and write "pass" on it.

• Upvote 1