You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No Freeview on Samsung TV.

Kloppite

I have a 49 inch 8 series Samsung TV which is connected to a Sky Box so while I can get all the channels I want via the Sky box I would also like to get the free view channels via the coaxial cable.  The thing is though when I do an auto tune it doesn't return any channels at all.  I live in a new build which has a communal aerial is this the reason why I cant get any stations?  Is there a signal booster built into TVs or would it be a good idea to buy a signal booster.

Any help appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Kloppite said:

I have a 49 inch 8 series Samsung TV which is connected to a Sky Box so while I can get all the channels I want via the Sky box I would also like to get the free view channels via the coaxial cable.  The thing is though when I do an auto tune it doesn't return any channels at all.  I live in a new build which has a communal aerial is this the reason why I cant get any stations?  Is there a signal booster built into TVs or would it be a good idea to buy a signal booster.

Any help appreciated. 

The signal booster should be built into the communal aerial. Have you got a second TV you could try and tune to the communal aerial to check it's functioning ?

We used to have an communal aerial many years ago but now we all have our own individual ones.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

The signal booster should be built into the communal aerial. Have you got a second TV you could try and tune to the communal aerial to check it's functioning ?

We used to have an communal aerial many years ago but now we all have our own individual ones.

I have connected a different TV to the aerial and it cannot get any channels.  This means one of 2 things either I am a very long way away from the aerial and the signal is very weak or there is no communal aerial.

Which one would you go for?

4 minutes ago, Kloppite said:

I have connected a different TV to the aerial and it cannot get any channels.  This means one of 2 things either I am a very long way away from the aerial and the signal is very weak or there is no communal aerial.

Which one would you go for?

What makes you think there's a communal aerial ? How many houses on the block ? 

I take it that you've knocked at your neighbours and asked if they're having the same issues ? Has anyone else got their own individual aerial up ?

If all else fails, it'll cost about £80 to have an aerial supplied and fitted.

4 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

What makes you think there's a communal aerial ? How many houses on the block ? 

I take it that you've knocked at your neighbours and asked if they're having the same issues ? Has anyone else got their own individual aerial up ?

If all else fails, it'll cost about £80 to have an aerial supplied and fitted.

I presumed that all new homes would have an aerial fitted and as there isn't one on our roof I thought there would be a communal one. 

As for asking the neighbours well I haven't asked I just decided on Sunday to buy a coaxial cable to use the free view features of the TV even though I don't actually need them as I have Sky.

I did look for an aerial on some of the neighbours houses and I didn't see one although other houses on the development have them the girl next door doesn't have a satellite dish on her house so I presumed we had a communal aerial but I now don't think we do.

It seems odd that there's a coax output but no aerial. Unless it's penny pinching and the cable for the aerial is tucked away somewhere waiting to be hooked up to an aerial.

Without wanting to sound patronising, are you sure the output in the wall is for DVB (digital video broadcasting) and not another provider like virgin ? Are you sure you are tuning the TV to the DVB setting and not cable or sat ?

It could also be that your trying to tune to the wrong region if you've moved a bit of a distance. A factory reset and than auto retune would solve that.  

Is it a standard coax output plate and or an F connector plate ?

• Like 1

Tried to factory reset several times and no its deffo not for cable.  

I have heard that communal aerials are no good for free view as the signal is very weak but I will have a look at the houses around my house to see if there is an aerial.  A few houses over the way have aerials but I am not sure whether or not they have been added by the owners.

with regards to penny pinching maybe the builders just thought most people have sky installed so why bother and if they don't want Sky they can pay for a aerial themselves.

31 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

You just plugged a cable into an antenna socket hoping/expecting a signal ? 

Basically yes.

But like I said they don't install aerials or communal aerials as standard in new builds but the wiring is there if you choose to have an aerial installed.  It goes from the loft to the socket in the living room.

What is so strange about that?

2 hours ago, Kloppite said:

Basically yes.

But like I said they don't install aerials or communal aerials as standard in new builds but the wiring is there if you choose to have an aerial installed.  It goes from the loft to the socket in the living room.

What is so strange about that?

So now you know the other end of the cable is in the loft, get yourself an aerial and connect it up. My aerial is in the loft and works fine.