You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Red Star Belgrade (6/11) Champions League

Bjornebye

If I'm not mistaken, the season after our 2007 Champions League Final, we went out early to Benfica, under Rafa?

Anyway, if we get knocked out, we can focus on the league. It's got our name all over it, and maybe the F.A. Cup double to boot.

I've got to say that I thought leaving Fabinho out was a strange choice as I thought he'd have done much better against Red Star than Arsenal. They were a shit team who had about 3 shots and scored twice and yet we were incapable of breaking them down. Two out of two away losses tells me the PSG game looks like a write off without a massive upturn in form.

7 hours ago, Red Shift said:

If I'm not mistaken, the season after our 2007 Champions League Final, we went out early to Benfica, under Rafa?

Anyway, if we get knocked out, we can focus on the league. It's got our name all over it, and maybe the F.A. Cup double to boot.

We got through the group stage and were knocked out by Benfica in the last 16, so not exactly "early". 

That really was rat shit last night...a very worrying performance.

Fortunately our fate remains in our own hands.

Klopp really needs to sort our midfield out though - it is killing us, no pace in it, no vision or guile, no bite - nobody who can put foot on it and dictate things and it does not link/join in play with our front 3 at all.

It's invisible largely.

Saw a stat last night that said none of our midfielders won a tackle in 1st half.

We really do have a problem with our midfield.

As players in there they have never been good creatively but their creativity was in pressing and winning the ball in good positions and feeding the front 3 in dangerous areas who then caused havoc...now they just knock hopeful balls towards front men often in non threatening areas.

As a team with us sitting back more and not pressing as much the midfield problems are badly exposed....And our potency greatly reduced.

Although its a bit unfamiliar, we will lose football matches occasionally.

When you think about it, last time we were all this pissed off and disappointed? The Champs lge final? Before that? Cant even recall.

Its been a hell of a run but judging by some of the reaction, we have got a bit spoilt as fans.

Im quite way enjoying it in a way, we have gone a bit stale and this forces us to face a few facts and will hopefully get us going again        

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, daved said:

Although its a bit unfamiliar, we will lose football matches occasionally.

When you think about it, last time we were all this pissed off and disappointed? The Champs lge final? Before that? Cant even recall.

Its been a hell of a run but judging by some of the reaction, we have got a bit spoilt as fans.

Im quite way enjoying it in a way, we have gone a bit stale and this forces us to face a few facts and will hopefully get us going again        

I think we need to actually win stuff to be classified as "spoilt".

I wouldnt say so. Of course winning stuff is what its all about but in this era of Citys gazzillions to win enough trophies to the extent you are spoilt is very unlikely.

Winning football matches and winning them with gusto and thrilling entertainment- we have certainly had plenty of that to go round.