You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Red Star Belgrade (6/11) Champions League

Bjornebye

That was atrocious.

The midfield we had tonight have all run their race. Milner and Wijnaldum are good players but they will not take us where we need to be and unfortunately we have to stop wasting our time with Lallana because he's done at the highest level. 

We desperately need Keita to become what we think he can be, or else this will be a long season. There just isn't enough creativity in the middle. Yeah, TAA has been poor and the forwards aren't as good as last year, but the midfield is the problem. Just not good enough for a team that wants to pretend to be a top European team and title challenger. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mark M said:

Nobody comes out of tonight well but Mane was driving me mad all night especially in the second half he killed more of our attacks than the red star defenders did. 

Problem is he also started most of them and kept trying, especially as he went a bit deeper and wider than the other forwards. He seems to create more for us than anyone else at the moment but also waste more

• Upvote 1

That we were not as shit as we'd been in Naples is just about the only good thing you can say about this one. We were so sloppy at times defensively, and lacked conviction when we were on the attack.

Sturridge blazed a sitter over the bar but other than that, it seemed as though any time we might make some headway, a Red Star defender got in a last ditch block. If the ball was near the keeper, the ball stuck every time.

We are a strange anomaly. Whenever we've qualified directly for the group stage, we've struggled in the group. The other 3 occasions we did so (2002/03, 2009/10 and 2014/15), we ended up finishing 3rd in the group and dropping into the Europa League. And it's through sloppy and disjointed performances like this, along with players who'd done the business the previous season not looking anything like as effective this time round, that we've made a mess of things.

We need to sort our shit out because on those occasions where we messed up the Champions League group stage, we've had poor seasons in the league and missed out on a top 4 place.

• Upvote 1

That was fucking brutal. I actually thought we would come out fighting after a proper Klopp bollocking at HT.

The only positive I can take from this is that despite the whole team being under par, and especially our midfield, not a single fucker has craved for having Henderson back.

Small mercies, I know.

It's been coming. It's a combination of raised expectations, and teams knowing us and how to play us, but mad as it sounds given the points we have on the board in the league, we look a worse team this season because the front three are marked men, and we don't have a Coutinho or an Oxlade-Chamberlain to break through the lines either with technique or pace from the midfield.

We want Shaq to be given a chance, but Klopp either doesn't think he's good enough or doesn't trust him enough to play that role.

We need Keita to step up and fill that role in the coming months. ASAP really. I think we all went into the season with one slight question mark over the attacking midfield threat, and Klopp did too given he wanted Fekir and we didn't get him.

We're partly a victim of our own success, but at the moment we look a bit short of the level I think people think we're at.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

People saying we need to win in Paris? Surely a draw there and a win over Napoli would probably be ok?

If PSG win tonight or its a draw then we can lose in Paris and win by 2 goals against Napoli and would be ok

• Upvote 1

Leaving Shaqiri home was a big mistake. It showed we were scared of them and at the same time we looked patronizing with this selection of losers. They stood on us , while we thought we only needed to turn up to win the game. 

Stop the complacency, play Shaqiri , and boum boum !

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

I think Suzy needs to take some blame here!!!  

She he got to the thread late and had already had a bad day. Unacceptable!!

58 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Suzy out. 

Rumour has it she picked Lallana as well.

• Upvote 1

Sturridge missed a sitter. The game swung at that point, anything else is pure conjecture. It was almost a carbon copy of the first match where they had chances and missed them and we were ruthless in front of goal to claim the home win.

Hopefully we can still qualify and move on to the good stuff. Hopefully we are still capable of the good stuff. Aren't we?

1 hour ago, SammyAftershave said:

A total shambles of a performance. Having both Sturridge and Lallana in the starting line up was taking the piss and inviting trouble (which we got from a pub team). Absolutely no positives to take from this game except HIV. Not irreparable for us still to qualify but we've put a shed load of unnecessary pressure on ourselves. Terrible Rodgers-like night in Europe. MOM should be interesting.

As soon as I came in and saw Sturridge and Lallana  were on the pitch I was worried!