You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sharks (and all things oceany)

• 5 weeks later...

Was reading up on Ocearch, hoping to see some projects to maybe observe for a holiday and found these links. They seem to portray an amateurish and sensationalising approach to shark research; and quite poor methods of working with the sharks themselves. Obviously, Shark Week encourages all the drama, but multiple negative observations, including from US Marine authorities.

Totally disgusting, if true, but it also appears that there is a bunfight between shark experts/ media personalities for prominence, and the sharks are caught in the crossfire.

image.jpeg

http://www.whitesharkvideo.com/ocearch-the-enemy.html

https://www.readersdigest.ca/culture/mysteries-of-the-white-shark/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/shark-fight-scientists-complain-about-rival-great-white-tagging/

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2021/09/29/shark-research-feud/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/great-white-sharks-tagged-massashusetts-versus-ocearch

• 10 months later...

I have been getting into spearfishing lately and about a month ago I was diving under a bridge in some pretty bad visibility. Could maybe see 6-7 meters or so, that's it.

So you can imagine my surprise when I got to the bottom, looked over and saw a decent-sized bull shark, maybe 5 meters or so from me, just drifting along with the current!

Thankfully he wasn't interested in me in the slightest. I still had to swim over to my float to compose myself for a few minutes before I could carry on. Got the heart pounding for a moment, that's for sure!

• Upvote 5

On 17/05/2023 at 04:33, Ne Moe Imya said:

I have been getting into spearfishing lately and about a month ago I was diving under a bridge in some pretty bad visibility. Could maybe see 6-7 meters or so, that's it.

So you can imagine my surprise when I got to the bottom, looked over and saw a decent-sized bull shark, maybe 5 meters or so from me, just drifting along with the current!

Thankfully he wasn't interested in me in the slightest. I still had to swim over to my float to compose myself for a few minutes before I could carry on. Got the heart pounding for a moment, that's for sure!

That’s a fair size that, I had a nurse shark swim between my legs earlier this year but it was probably a little over 2m, my mate missed the perfect shot by about a second…

BE586DA6-A4F6-4CBE-86E7-7EEB4E52EAE1.jpeg

FC891C43-2222-4564-81A7-3CBA445A3FC9.jpeg

• Upvote 3

On 18/05/2023 at 02:27, TheBitch said:

That’s a fair size that, I had a nurse shark swim between my legs earlier this year but it was probably a little over 2m, my mate missed the perfect shot by about a second…

Oh, the shark wasn't anywhere near 5 meters! That would have been more than a "swim over to my float and calm down," that would have been a "get out of the ocean and never go near it again" type of thing.

Brilliant pictures. It's really something to be in the ocean, isn't it? I find it compelling in a way that is strangely inexplicable. Even if I'm not seeing anything worth shooting, just snorkeling along while the small reef fish like minnows and grunts are swirling around you - it's borderline magical!

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

I used to go sea fishing off Anglesey a good few years ago and caught a few Tope, the biggest being about 4ft. Some fucking fight on them.

Nah,just doesnt quite have the same ring as the Quint on USS Indianapolis. 

'I was fishing off the Menai Strat and this 4ft monster was circling the boat,baying for the blood of the crew..'

• Upvote 2

Call them what they are, Cunt Killer Whales. Vile bastards. I'll never forgive the cunts from frozen planet. Wave washing and toying with that poor seal before chowing down on him. Look at that face LOOK AT IT

0zYfKi.gif

28 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Call them what they are, Cunt Killer Whales. Vile bastards. I'll never forgive the cunts from frozen planet. Wave washing and toying with that poor seal before chowing down on him. Look at that face LOOK AT IT

0zYfKi.gif

It's a harsh world; nature red in tooth and claw.

I've had to bury two mice in the garden this week.

19 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's a harsh world; nature red in tooth and claw.

I've had to bury two mice in the garden this week.

Just casually leaving the bit out where you crushed them to death with a pair of motorbike boots on mate yeah? 

Read that the majority of great white sharks are suffering from PTSD due to these shitbag bullies who can only fight when they’re mob handed.

They’d soon shit it when the japanese come round the corner with the harpoon boat.

I’m that angry now I’m gonna book a cruise to orca land and dump all the carrier bags the Mrs has got building up in the cupboard under the stairs when we set sail and even the odds a bit. 

Stick that kwikky bag in yer blow hole

• Upvote 1