You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sharks (and all things oceany)

Sharks seem to have intertwined into other threads (movie threads generally) but they are such scary and magnificent creatures that I think it's about time they had a thread all of their own. I started watching The Meg last night which seems to be an OK film but they must have been intimidating creatures when the closest current shark to this is the Great White which is scary enough on it's own.

So to all things shark...

23 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We dont get the big ones on the west side here too often - however there are huge amounts of bulls and tigers. Supposedly you are never more than about 25 ft from one when you go out.

And that is just in the gay clubs -- the oceans are teeming with 'em.

I recall a story off the East Coast of Australia that a guy was spear fishing and the blood was obviously attracting Tiger Sharks and as this guy was in the vicinity he was immediately served on the lunch menu. Tiger sharks don't seem to have the same reputation the Great White (at least that's my perception) but they are fierce fuckers when they are hungry. 

I wouldn't like to be a shark fry-up.

11 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Feel my pain. It's a daily feature in my daughter's life do do do do do do

I've never seen such suppressed hatred behind someone's forced smile quite like the expression the face of a woman working in Scarborough Sea Life Centre when a toddler walked through singing that. It was evidently not the first time she'd heard it.

4 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I recall a story off the East Coast of Australia that a guy was spear fishing and the blood was obviously attracting Tiger Sharks and as this guy was in the vicinity he was immediately served on the lunch menu. Tiger sharks don't seem to have the same reputation the Great White (at least that's my perception) but they are fierce fuckers when they are hungry. 

I wouldn't like to be a shark fry-up.

isn't it tru that you are more likely to be attacked by a tiger shark or a reef shark than a great white as the former hunt close to the shore while great whites hunt further out?

2 minutes ago, Kloppite said:

isn't it tru that you are more likely to be attacked by a tiger shark or a reef shark than a great white as the former hunt close to the shore while great whites hunt further out?

Apparently great whites are becoming quite rare as a result of hunting them so perhaps hunting further out may be true but also their numbers being lower could play a part. Great whites are ferocious hunters (they may be the top predators of the oceans) but tigers must not be far behind.