You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Oct 27-29 2018)

tlw content

It was a horrific weekend for the BT Sport presenters. First Glen Hoddle almost died on set and had to be rushed to hospital and then there was the tragic helicopter disaster at Leicester after the Saturday evening game.

Horrible for everyone concerned. Don’t really know what else to say, other than to offer condolences to the friends and families of those who died, and best wishes to Hoddle.

The game at the KingPower had ended in a 1-1 draw after Leicester had grabbed a last minute deflected equaliser against West Ham. No more than they deserved as they battered West Ham but just couldn’t score. Mark Noble was sent off for an over the ball lunge. Not intentional but pretty clumsy. Mark Noble in a nutshell that. "Not intentional but pretty clumsy" could be used to describe a goal or a tackle where he’s concerned.

Amartey suffered a brutal leg break late on in that game too. I haven’t seen it because it was so bad that BBC didn’t want to even show it, which is fair enough I think. It has always puzzled me why people feel the need to seek out replays of these gruesome injuries. I’m squeamish and always look away anyway, but I don’t see what purpose is served by showing them.

My squeamishness probably goes back to when Jim Beglin broke his leg at Goodison. That was my first away game and I was stood at the front of the old enclosure, only about 20 yards away from the incident. I didn’t realise what had happened on the initial challenge, but then my mate spots Beglin lying on the floor and yells “Eeeeeeee lookarriz leg!!” 

I looked over and saw Beglin writhing around the turf like a fish on the deck of a boat, with his leg bent completely the wrong way. Completely shook me up and I barely even watched the rest of the game. Ever since I’ve avoided any kind of replays of that stuff, yet there are people who not only watch them, they’ll actively search for them online. Fuckin’ sickos.

Anyway, hopefully Amartey can make a full recovery, but breaks that bad are often tough to come back from and careers have often been ended by them. 

Elsewhere on Saturday, Fulham got tonked again. Their defending really is beyond a joke. They’re on course to shatter the record for goals conceded and they’re just so wide open. They play good football and have some talented players, but defensively it’s a horror show back there.

They’ve got a centre back who makes Per Mertesacker look like a greyhound. He’s caught my eye on MOTD a few times this year and I find myself wondering how it’s possible for someone like that to be earning a living in the top flight of English football. It’s an admittedly small sample size I’m basing it on, but he might be the worst defender I’ve ever seen.

*googles*  Ok, so his name is Tim Ream, he’s American and he’s 31. He used to play for Red Bull Leipzig but it clearly didn’t give him wings as he’s so slow that he leaves a glossy trail behind him when he moves.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
4 hours ago, index1000 said:

The David Wagner thing is perception. He has a scruffy hobo beard and you think he is a bit  weird. Guarantee though if he shaved it off and grew a load of Long Unmanly hair and you would be all over him like a shitcoat on shitcoat.

It's not specifically how he looks. It's more his vibe. 

• dave u unpinned this topic