You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

McMahon: Aaron Ramsey would be good fit at Liverpool

tlw content

7 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

A lot of that could have been said about the Ox, and he wasn't exactly shoddy before disaster struck.

Personally I agree with Ramsey's injury concerns, but if Klopp sees something he thinks he can polish and use for the benefit of the team then who am I to disagree with him ?

It depends on whether Klopp and his back room staff already have their eye on a younger, less known and more robust player who can provide what Ramsey does.

If Ox comes back and Keita settles in, do we actually need anyone who can provide what Ramsey does?

He's decent on the ball, but not a great passer, dribbler or creative force, but gets in the box and scores a few goals.

Ideally he'd be about 4th or 5th choice midfielder right?

12 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

A lot of that could have been said about the Ox

Yep, I wouldn’t have bought him either. I think it was a crazy transfer for a crazy amount considering his contract. He had some decent games at the end of the season. For me, he has a lot more to prove. 

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

If Ox comes back and Keita settles in, do we actually need anyone who can provide what Ramsey does?

He's decent on the ball, but not a great passer, dribbler or creative force, but gets in the box and scores a few goals.

Ideally he'd be about 4th or 5th choice midfielder right?

Again that could have been said about Ox.  Milner was probably labelled as similar at various stages in his Liverpool career.  Our perception of players can be misleading.  Andy Robertson was dismissed as shite by many and Shaq was labelled as "lazy with attitude issues".  Now the former is classed by many as the best left back in the country and plenty of folks are calling for the latter to be in the starting eleven.

I've learned enough about Klopp to know that he is excellent at picking out players and encouraging them to shine, so if Ramsey rocks up at Melwood during the next summer break it'll be because Klopp thinks he's a genuine quality addition to the squad.

7 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yep, I wouldn’t have bought him either. I think it was a crazy transfer for a crazy amount considering his contract. He had some decent games at the end of the season. For me, he has a lot more to prove. 

Yep. And we also knew his injury record wasn't exactly stellar and look where he is now.

54 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yep. And we also knew his injury record wasn't exactly stellar and look where he is now.

It’s difficult to tell though, Keita went pretty much injury-free in Bundesliga, we paid £50m and he hasn’t been fit nearly often enough for us since. Lallana had a good injury record for Southampton too IIRC.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

His injury is hardly one anybody could see. It's a knee tear, it's not a muscle issue that you could say that about

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

His injury is hardly one anybody could see. It's a knee tear, it's not a muscle issue that you could say that about

Some players are just prone to that bad luck I guess. I do agree with NV though that he had some very good games but still has much yet to prove. He gets better the longer he is out though.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Some players are just prone to that bad luck I guess. I do agree with NV though that he had some very good games but still has much yet to prove. He gets better the longer he is out though.

I disagree. I thought he was easily our best midfielder towards the back end of last season, and the main reason why we barely missed Coutinho.

• Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I disagree. I thought he was easily our best midfielder towards the back end of last season, and the main reason why we barely missed Coutinho.

As Vlad just said, he did have some very good games. nobody is denying that. It's not something to disagree with. Surely 'the back end', which ended with injury in April against Roma (missing the last five games of the season), isn't enough to completely prove himself. Well, it isn't to me. He had some good games and some average games, and seemed to improve as time went on. As somebody who started 14 league games all season, I think he has more to prove. For me, it's that he can stay fit and play at the high level all season. Then he'll be worth the 35m (whilst on a 6 month contract). If not, it'll be a miss. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, moof said:

The goals against city at Anfield were worth the 35 mil, alone 

I certainly didn't shout 'ah, no, he scored a great goal so my comments about him not being worth £35m have been dented'. I went bizfuckingerk. If he can power forward from the centre, I'm going to be a much bigger fan. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I certainly didn't shout 'ah, no, he scored a great goal so my comments about him not being worth £35m have been dented'. I went bizfuckingerk. If he can power forward from the centre, I'm going to be a much bigger fan. 

I understand exactly where you’re coming from, mate. I’m personally closer to aRdja’s position on this but fully respect what you’re saying.

For me, I have faith he can come back from his injury as a more mature and consistent player, I see no reason why he can’t still have the same explosive impact from midfield. But; even if he does nothing else at the club, those goals in the league and Champions League, and the way he developed from November onwards is proof enough to convince me he was well worth the chance we took. The injury wasn’t indicative of any past issue, rather was just pure bad luck. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I love The Ox. Cant wait for him to be fit again. I also hate people who call him The Ox. 

Unfortunately with the damage he did to the knee it cant be assumed he will be the player he was. Still we wont be signing Ramsey in a hurry , im sure Klopp has better players in mind

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I hope his injury doesn’t fuck his pace. He’s be quite bad without it. Like, really not good. 

Agreed, IMO he’d be more like Gerrard in that he wouldn’t be half the player without his physicality, as opposed to like Scholes where he managed to successfully adapt his game into a more deep-lying playmaker type.

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Agreed, IMO he’d be more like Gerrard in that he wouldn’t be half the player without his physicality, as opposed to like Scholes where he managed to successfully adapt his game into a mode deep-lying playmaker type.

Yeah, it’s not like he’s going to stand around the centre circle spraying passes about or dictating play and controlling tempo. Fingered crossed he’s okay. 

• Upvote 1