You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

McMahon: Aaron Ramsey would be good fit at Liverpool

tlw content

It is a story which has bubbled along in the background for months, but speculation has intensified in the past few days that Aaron Ramsey will depart Arsenal at the end of the 2018/19 season.

Sky Sports reported that the Welsh midfielder will not be offered a new deal and will be allowed to leave on a free transfer.

Ramsey has had his fair share of injuries throughout his career, but in particular his shocking broken leg suffered against Stoke in 2010 which naturally shook his confidence.

After a period of time on loan at former club Cardiff and Nottingham Forrest, Ramsey finally adjusted to life in North London and honed his game alongside the likes of Mikel Arteta, Mesut Ozil and current Red Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Ramsey has made close to 350 appearances for the club and is highly regarded by the Gunners' fanbase having been voted as their player of the year on two occasions in 2013/14 and again last season along with winning the FA Cup on three occasions (2014/15 and 17).

ramsey.jpg

The news over his likely departure his sparked a level of conversation over which clubs should show some interest in his services.

Former Reds midfielder Steve McMahon is a big fan of the 27 year-old and told Sky Sports he believes Ramsey can add an extra element to Liverpool.

"Liverpool would do well to get him. He's a midfield player who goes beyond the strikers and Liverpool haven't got that.

"Liverpool have got good midfield players that play in front, they've got top strikers who score goals and have got pace, good defenders.

"But when it's a bit of a stalemate, they haven't got someone to go ahead, the third man running, not just to try and get a goal but to take the players away and open the space up. 

"Ramsey is one of those players and is a goalscoring midfield player with great technique".

Despite Liverpool having a true attacking identity, McMahon believes Ramsey offers something that the team is missing.

"We always look at the high intensity now for Liverpool. I've seen them play in every game this year and they still need a very offensive midfield player and somebody who can take that chance, to get over the top to get away and leave that space for everyone else.  They haven't got that at this moment in time".

Naturally when a player like Ramsey chooses to sign for a club like Liverpool, the next challenge is finding a place for him in the starting lineup.

McMahon suggested some possible openings for the midfielder.

"It all depends who's starting. They have been switching it around between Jordan Henderson and Naby Keita so either of those. Fabinho is not the right person for me, I think he's like-for-like with Henderson.

"There's something to be said that Ramsey is better than Adam Lallana and Xherdan Shaqiri knew when he went to Liverpool that he would be a squad player.

"I think Ramsey would fight for his place and I would be interested in him."

A number of interesting discussion points were raised in McMahon's comments.

It remains to be seen whether Jurgen Klopp thinks along the same lines and feels that Ramsey suits his game style and add value to the squad.

It will also be interesting to gauge the opinion of the Liverpool fanbase on this.

Is Ramsey a player that can help take us to the next level or are there other areas in the that we should focus on?

View full article

Pros: 

He's a good player

Cons: 

He is incredibly injury prone

Plays a position where we have other injury worries

He would be on a massive wage, coming on a free

He would improve the squad, but isn't world class which is what we're looking for, or should be

It would make it much less likely we'd buy that top player we need.

I'm out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Pros: 

He's a good player

Cons: 

He is incredibly injury prone

Plays a position where we have other injury worries

He would be on a massive wage, coming on a free

He would improve the squad, but isn't world class which is what we're looking for, or should be

It would make it much less likely we'd buy that top player we need.

I'm out.

Agree with all that.

Also he’s been pretty crap defensively at following runners at Arsenal.

11 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

As a replacement for Lallana I'd say yes. But those injury issues are a huge no no. 

I don't see him as a replacement I see him as like for like...no real improvement. If after a player like that I think Maddison at Leicester at just 21 might have good future ahead of him. Or raise the stakes...look for another Fekir!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

I mean, in one way it's better than I expected, in another he's missing 11 games per season and I bet another third of his games are 'getting back fit' type games. But yeah, obviously wildly better than Lallana.

Not even saying i’d want him but food for thought I suppose.

If we've got £80m or so in the budget for a top class AM next summer then let's do that.  If we haven't then Ramsey would make a lot of sense as he offers something that we don't have in the squad at the moment (unless Shaqiri is earmarked for that role). 

26 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We bailed on Fekir because of knee worries.

So---we are going to bring in Ramsey to provide competition for Lallana and Ox??

No transfer fee probably makes it worth a gamble. Would assume Big Adam would be on his way out if Ramsey came in.

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

He has averaged 27 league games a season for the four seasons before this. Every game this season I believe and good goals overall?

Although 27 sounds high, how many games did each of our front 3 play last season in all competitions. At a guess I'd suggest best part of 50.

For a team that wants to compete in all the competitions it enters I'm not convinced 27 is high enough. But if he plays more this season, that's a different story... 

5 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Although 27 sounds high, how many games did each of our front 3 play last season in all competitions. At a guess I'd suggest best part of 50.

For a team that wants to compete in all the competitions it enters I'm not convinced 27 is high enough. But if he plays more this season, that's a different story... 

Like I said i’m not advocating we should but worth a look. Ramsey being used against our front three is unfair as he would not be playing there, put him up against appearance stats for our midfielders, far better than Lallana and similar to Henderson although I could be wrong.

34 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Like I said i’m not advocating we should but worth a look. Ramsey being used against our front three is unfair as he would not be playing there, put him up against appearance stats for our midfielders, far better than Lallana and similar to Henderson although I could be wrong.

I think he's a decent player and he would do well at Liverpool. Certainly as an option to compete with Milner and Henderson and if he is injury free this season then we'll worth a look. It's a curious situation he is in as his current manager said he wants to build a team around him and yet they have also said no contract will be offered. 

I would see him as the direct replacement for Emre Can as Fabinho is a very different type of player and Ramsey would be an upgrade on Emre.