You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it racist for a white person to paint their face black/brown for fancy dress?

Bjornebye

Is it racist?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is it racist?

• Yes
    • No

26 minutes ago, aRdja said:

It’s not necessarily the colour of the skin only. The Beastie Boys, for example, not sure you’re familiar with them, they’re three jews from from New York, I don’t think they were ever accused of appropriating black culture for profit, as they lived and breathed it. Even Eminem... There are loads more examples in House music scene, which came out of the gay party scene in Chicago and New York, but probably a bit more obscure for most TLWers.

Tell them about Elvis, aRdja. 

• Upvote 5

29 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

... which drew on a combination of Jamaican sound systems and European arthouse synth pop.

If anyone cries "cultural appropriation" about music, I defy them to pick the bones out of that.

House music actually started out in New York... Inspired by dubby disco sets played by Larry Levan at the legendary gay club, Paradise Garage in the late 70s. His mate Frankie Knuckles then brought it to Chicago with him and then it exploded. I think you were thinking of techno. There are plenty of white and/or straight DJs and producers around the world who get the scene and respect house music and its history... think Francois K, Danny Krivit, even younger DJs like Motor City Drum Ensemble or the Black Madonna. I think today the ‘problem’ lies with the EDM scene led by the likes of Steve Aoki, the late Avicii, Skrillex... where they turn the it into a more crowd-surfing, stadium-rock scene where they literally throw cakes to the audience. 

49 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Prince (who I’ve just started to get into) showed a pretty cool attitude about it IMO; he literally did the opposite of Miley.

http://www.thatericalper.com/2016/05/13/prince-to-record-label-president-one-of-the-things-i-want-to-make-sure-is-that-you-dont-make-me-black/

Not like you to be late getting into something mate. 

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

But the fact he's black is part of the look of the character, otherwise they'd think you were Egon or something. 

As others have said, context matters. Some of the stuff that goes on in Holland etc has been suss because there's a hint that the blackness of the character is derogatory and a throwback to bad times, but surely impersonating a film hero is completely different. I honestly don't see the issue. 

Agreed

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

Mmmm... I’m not sure... I don’t think I care enough. Btw, I went to a ‘mixed’ Indian-Irish wedding in Tuscany back in August. The bridesmaids - most were white - wore Indian dresses and they looked lovely. I’m not sure it would’ve been as well received had they made themselves brown. 

Good thing they didn't post the pics on Twitter. 

I've done fancy dress once or twice. The best one was where we went on a stag do to Ibiza and all dressed up as JCVD from his Coors adverts complete with the wig and double denim. The black and brown ones in the group, we didn't find it necessary to whiten ourselves up. That's because we aren't cunts. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, aRdja said:

House music actually started out in New York... Inspired by dubby disco sets played by Larry Levan at the legendary gay club, Paradise Garage in the late 70s. His mate Frankie Knuckles then brought it to Chicago with him and then it exploded. I think you were thinking of techno. There are plenty of white and/or straight DJs and producers around the world who get the scene and respect house music and its history... think Francois K, Danny Krivit, even younger DJs like Motor City Drum Ensemble or the Black Madonna. I think today the ‘problem’ lies with the EDM scene led by the likes of Steve Aoki, the late Avicii, Skrillex... where they turn the it into a more crowd-surfing, stadium-rock scene where they literally throw cakes to the audience. 

So they stole it from the gays? 

13 hours ago, Hades said:

Vacillate back and forth on this. Struggling people find it harder to take the ribbing that is a natural aspect of human interaction. There's nothing objectively wrong going to a funeral in your underwear but most will think you're a tit. It certainly shouldn't be illegal, anyhow.

Repped (if only for the word "vacillate".)

I don’t think it’s racist at all. The whole issue of race has escalated so much now that you have to stop and think about loads of little things to make sure you’re not perceived to be on the wrong side of it.

There are loads of people who are called “racist” that I don’t for one minute think are. When you look at the definition of what racism actually means and then look at some of the supposed examples of racism, it just doesn’t match up.

Actual racism (such as the recent Ryanair incident) is fucking disgusting.

34 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t think it’s racist at all. The whole issue of race has escalated so much now that you have to stop and think about loads of little things to make sure you’re not perceived to be on the wrong side of it.

There are loads of people who are called “racist” that I don’t for one minute think are. When you look at the definition of what racism actually means and then look at some of the supposed examples of racism, it just doesn’t match up.

Yeah Brownie

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Brownie said:

What was the Ryanair incident?

3 hours ago, skend04 said:

I've done fancy dress once or twice. The best one was where we went on a stag do to Ibiza and all dressed up as JCVD from his Coors adverts complete with the wig and double denim. The black and brown ones in the group, we didn't find it necessary to whiten ourselves up. That's because we aren't cunts. Hope this helps.

Everyone doing fancy dress is a cunt. 

• Upvote 4